TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This may sound like a joke but it's not. I can't afford a dedicated GNCC/Enduro machine and already own a TW. I've ridden AA trail sections with only some minor clearance issues that didn't slow me down much. I don't expect to place in an event but I do want to participate. From what I read the TW may not qualify because of wheel size. If you know otherwise please let me know.

Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just spoke to the AMA, thank you Xracer, and while my conversation and subsequent email are currently confidential the "Off-Road Racing Manager" suggested that the wheel size restriction was likely just to prevent mini bikes from competition. He went on to say that in his opinion the TW should be allowed to compete and that he would push for its exemption and ultimately to rewrite AMA's criteria for what passes as an off road competition legal motorcycle! I will post updates as this situation evolves.

·
Super Moderator
5,310 Posts
I think that he and everyone else will be surprised at what the TW is capable of - it may not be the fastest, but these bikes are "stubborn"

They've acquitted themselves well in competitions before - one member here (Bigmac2k1) regularly races his (modified engine TW), again, with some success

OK - so some of your competitors will fall about laughing - but by the end of it all, they will show a lot more respect

Look forward to the report .....

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Here is post from "Rockpile" of a NETRA Turkey Run that he did on the TW. The Netra events are AMA certified or whatever...I'm not sure if that is the same as what you are asking.
That guy sure could ride... has been missing for a couple of years. When I started riding with some of the Pachaug crew, they told me...no one here disses the TW200...not after seeing the way Rockpile could ride it. He could keep up with the best riders around the Pachaug area.
http://tw200forum.com/forum/trails-off-road-adventure-riding/4498-turkey-run-video-tw.html

Also check out the video of a Pachaug Camp & Ride in post #9 of that thread... it's a good one and features a cameo appearance by Mrs Trip and I at 1:21.... standing around waiting for the slow group.....
I's a good video and has Rockpile demonstrating a proper wheelie on the TW200 at the end...good stuff!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
While the AMA sanctions many dual sport rides/rally's that are open to any registered and insured motorcycle operated by a licensed rider they have specific criteria a motorcycle has to satisfy in order to compete in a given class. No AMA off-road race class open to adults allows rear wheel size to be less than 16". With this AMA Off-Road Racing Manager in our corner we're in a position to change this potentially. He seemed awfully optimistic. I'm going to talk with him again on Monday. I'm hoping to find out then whether they're gonna roll over on this or if I'll have a fight on my hands.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
With the right track and setup there is no reason you can't do well. I've Hare Scrambled a 1974 TS-185 Suzuki and raced Moto-Cross on a 1972 SL-125. Lots of times it's not the bike but the rider willing to keep going no matter how tough it gets. The Dub sits low to the ground and is pretty much bullet proof so Give em Hell!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I just exchanged email with the Off-Road Racing Manager and he said so far so good. Over the weekend he spoke with someone from GNCC and they showed interest. Now he's actively working to get more information. I will post any updates here and if there is any change that requires the leverage of the forum I'll start a new thread and link to it. Thanks for the support!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Awesome work man! Your fellow Dubbers are behind you, let us know if you need any backup.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts