TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would a TW200 be a good bike to teach the kids on? I have two boys ages 16 and 14. I almost bought a 125cc china pit bike, but decided against it at the last minute. Reliability is the main reason. I don't mind wrenching, but prefer more riding than wrenching.

A bit about myself. My first bike was an 80s KX80 when I was 16. Loved it and rode whenever time permitted. I didn't ride for a long time and got my motorcycle endorsement and a Ninja 650 to commute to work (in nice weather) about 3 years ago.

We have a 2007 Yamaha Wolverine 350 (quad) - automatic CVT that the boys use on the local trails. I'd like them to learn (and they want to learn) a manual bike. My oldest has his permit and drives a manual car, so he has experience with a clutch and shifting. Riding conditions near me are wooded, flat twisty trails.

Thanks for any advice,
David

·
Registered
19,400 Posts
Yes, I think it would make a good bike to learn responsible riding skills.
The lower power-to-weight of the TW compared to a KX80 would have your boys focus more on developing bike control skills rather than twisting the throttle and seeing what happens. They would likely have more fun ripping things up on a motorcrosser but why not have them learn good primary skills first before turning them loose with big power?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Probably half a dozen people have learned to ride and gotten their endorsement on my '87. The TW is light enough and low enough that most can comfortably sit on them. It isn't over powered, is fairly simple to maintain, and is very user friendly. The one thing you may want to address before putting your kids on is the front tire.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I learned to ride on a tw... last month! I'm 46 years old and had never ridden a motorcycle. So of course I bought a tw! My only complaint is the creaky clutch feel when releasing the lever into the friction zone. Granted I have <600 miles on it, but nothing I've read leads me to believe there is going to be any reliability issues.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I bought my TW200 from a Yamaha dealer that used them in a 'Learn-To-Ride' program!!
So yea, I'd say they are a great bike for your purpose. Ask around and see if there's a program in your area. You may be able to pick up a good deal like I did; 400 miles and never out of 2nd gear most likely as the training is in a parking lot. The price was discounted to under $3,000.

·
Super Moderator
4,851 Posts
The Chinese bikes are good at what they do, but fall down on longevity. Three years and that’s about it. This is my opinion, and I’m sticking to it. We have a long time member on here, who (having done xx miles on his Chinese jobby), ended up sticking a TW200 engine in the thing. You get what you pay for

The TW (in its original configuration), is easy to ride, and used by a number of learner programmes in the States. I’ve been riding bikes for nearly 50 years, and for a small displacement thumper, it’s about as good as it gets

The TW is more of a “trail bike” than a “trial bike”, and as long as you embrace that, you’ll be fine. For your intended use, it’s a good introduction to the sport

Welcome to the board …. ;)

·
Super Moderator
4,851 Posts
Getting bigger foot pegs seems to be an “American” thing – if your foot size is less than a nine, play on – if your foot size is ten or above, you’ll need a folding shifter, bigger pegs, and (for some reason) an endless supply of left hand foot peg mounts (ask Fred)

Quite why Fred seems to go through so many left handed foot pegs remains a mystery to many of us – but he does (consistently). We’ve often tried to video him on his “adventures” to determine why this happens, but he seems to just be a “blur” when we try

The times when Fred has come back from an “easy ride”, having destroyed yet another (left hand) foot peg (and the occasional rack) are beyond counting – it seems to be a “tradition” with him – a “mark of passage” if you will

On the bright side – if you ever need a “re-conditioned” left hand peg – just put a request in the “Classifieds” – I suspect “someone” has a bucket load ……

·
Registered
720 Posts
I don’t know, those anemic stock footpegs belong on a moped unless you are riding 100% street. Off-road I need real foot pegs especially when wet and muddy. Size 11 boot, just for reference.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
In all honesty I would like to suggest the TW as a great learning bike which it is, but it's also a little heavy for a younger rider. They are ~280 lbs where a KLX140 for example is available in standard, L and G models which all vary in size (~ 30-33" seat height) for younger/shorter/ or those looking for a lighter bike (205 - 220lbs) for challenging riding. Quads are one thing but can they pick up the bike on their own if they drop it?

Both bikes have a similar power to weight ratios making them great companion bikes, and a very light clutch, the KLX being even lighter. The TW is dual sport while the KLX is dirt only. Neither of which has too much power for a new rider. KLX $1000 cheaper....

I guess it really depends on the rider and their intended riding style.

And a KLX takes up less room in the garage;).

I'm riding with KLX140L rider and I have trouble keeping up, but if I had to choose a bike on a budget other then a TW it would be a KLX140L

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Welcome. I think it is a great bike for beginners. It is my first bike and is now 1 of 3. I have kept it because of the fun factor, it is a blast to ride. The TW also has very controllable power which is great for learning on. It sips gas at 60-70 mpg. It also is very low maintenance. The original chain can be maintained to last longer with lots of maintenance but an o ring or x ring chain I recommend before wearing out your sprockets in addition to your other list of things to do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In all honesty I would like to suggest the TW as a great learning bike which it is, but it's also a little heavy for a younger rider. They are ~280 lbs where a KLX140 for example is available in standard, L and G models which all vary in size (~ 30-33" seat height) for younger/shorter/ or those looking for a lighter bike (205 - 220lbs) for challenging riding. Quads are one thing but can they pick up the bike on their own if they drop it?

Both bikes have a similar power to weight ratios making them great companion bikes, and a very light clutch, the KLX being even lighter. The TW is dual sport while the KLX is dirt only. Neither of which has too much power for a new rider. KLX $1000 cheaper....

I guess it really depends on the rider and their intended riding style.

And a KLX takes up less room in the garage;).

I'm riding with KLX140L rider and I have trouble keeping up, but if I had to choose a bike on a budget other then a TW it would be a KLX140L
The KLX is a nice little bike and is on my list. I agree that lighter would be easier to learn on. When I had my KX80, my cousin had an XR250 and I recall thinking his bike drove like a tank. I'm leaning towards an enduro because they can grow into it and still ride it for years to come. If I could find a used 140/150 I'd consider it, but I've seen nothing near me.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Definitely a great learner bike for any/all potential motorcycle riders. Low powered, lightweight. You can use it to it's limits and have a blast, but it's limits won't get you into the same kind of trouble other bikes can get you into. Due to it's short seat height and skinny profiles, it's easy to throw your weight around on it. To a few other users point, the one downside is the front tire as it can definitely be a little sketch, but just be aware of it and be careful. Since it's a learning bike, don't encourage going to crazy at first :)

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
I wear size 11 GAERNE Oil Boots off and even some days on, the pavement, and the stock foot pegs have not been a problem either in Moab, or Big Bend, or the West Virginia Hills...but I'm a stock kind of guy, except for the front tire....The Rest, chain, battery, broken clutch and brake levers, etc, have all been changed out for other stock equipment...but Hell I'm an old creature of habit...with the Key Word being "OLD" :evil6::pottytrain5:

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
YES, absolutely.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts