TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys;

I run a company that does trail construction and maintenance for motorized and non-motorized trails, and a lot of our work is motorized singletrack. I have a 2003 and 2018 TW200 that we use for hauling cargo in and out to project areas, usually carrying fuel/backpacks etc. We run into snow and mud routinely and my rear on the 03 is finally starting to wear enough I'm replacing both tires. I do zero pavement riding, and I'm honestly getting a little tired of how squirrelly the back can get when you've got a heavy load compared to narrower tire bikes. It's gotten bad enough where I'll put my entire body load on the cargo rack in the back and duckwalk it from back there because it doesn't sink enough in the rear in sloppy snow.

Anybody have any advice for a rear replacement? The knobbier the better for sure. I like the TWs a lot except for that, it's a super forgiving bike except for being on the heavy side and the 03 has been ultra-reliable.

·
Registered
555 Posts
The stock knobby is the best/only choice for the rear for offroad use.
The other tire options in that size (180/14) are more street oriented.
Beyond the stock knobby you could go to an ATV tire.
There are several threads here for using them.

·
Super Moderator
17,630 Posts
You could also try airing down the tire substantially for more traction.

·
Registered
19,201 Posts
The original Duro, or Duro 2 ATV tire would be my recommendation for industrial strength job-site rated traction. It, and the similar BigHorn II ATV tire, used to be the consensus winners but there are more rounded profile ATV tires we like these days for sportier applications or general practicality like the TerraCross ( my current tire) or the Cerros .
Seal the spokes and go tubeless for bomb-proof serviceability in the bush since patching a tube is not easy in the field. My old Duro I thought would be the hands down winner for the conditions described.

Duro.jpeg
The "Search" feature on the forum can provide a wealth of info on installation and performance issues with ATV tires.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hopefully one day.

I've emailed both Kenda and Maxxis, about offering DOT/or non-DOT knobby options for our bike. Maybe if we got a mass email going to pursuade a manufacturer to get started, it might work out.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
The only terrain that the Duro does not work on is wet granite. Sand, mud, loose loom and snow are where this tires shines.

·
Registered
19,201 Posts
" The only terrain that the Duro does not work on is wet granite" . Now if only the Duro was available with the sticky 5.10 rock climbing rubber that the mountaineers like, would take that over a DOT rating.:p

·
Registered
790 Posts
If youre only riding offroad with mud and snow my vote goes for the black diamond sti atx. 1.125 tread that cleans well is reasonably flexible and runs flat. Deep enough you can put carbide screws in it for winter which makes it much safer. Also if youre doing offroad you'll be really happy withthe ATV tire front end conversion also. Many variations. Mine uses an entire tri z 250 front end.

Sent from my LML211BL using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts