TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A relatively new T Dubber is curious you see. I know airhead Beemers pretty well, and there were constant improvements right along the line. Is it so with the TW200? Do some guys like the drum front brake? Maybe there's a really popular colour. Was gearing always the same 14/50? Seat coverings - imho mine is murder on the arse because your pants literally stick to the seat like velcro almost! Whatever you can tell me will be news. As I say I'm not very familiar with the bike and it's history at all.

Paddy

·
Super Moderator
5,322 Posts
1998, simply because it’s the end of the generation, when these bikes were the most “sorted” before they left the factory. The quality of electrical components had been sorted out, frame welds were better, and things were “settled” – the older drum brake was just as good as the disc brake that replaced it, and we had the old style slide carb, rather than the CV replacement, which has proved to be better on fuel, but “troublesome”, and provides less “grunt” (not to mention the free kick starter)

The early TW’s were OK, but have been refined over time - but post 2k, they somehow lost something in the interests of manufacturing efficiency and emissions – but various members will defend there post 2k TW’s to the death, and I can accept that it all comes down to “year loyalty”

Post 2017, I have no opinion, simply because of the lack of data, although they still have the Christmas cracker CV carb on there

And while I think about it – the 90’s TW came with 14/49 sprockets as stock, they only went to 14/50 later, presumably to compensate for the crappy CV carb

And yes, predictably, I have the ’98 – and I wouldn’t trade it for a new one if you stuck a gun to my head

And having imparted this wit and wisdom to you, you will now go out and buy whatever comes up first, declaring it to be “brilliant”

Well, I tried ……

·
Registered
145 Posts
2020 is the best year because that's what I have.
To me no other T-dub could be better then the one I'm riding.
No matter how good another bike is if I'm not riding it it's of little use to me
Although some engineer/bean counter should have his balls cut off for doing
Away with the Kickstarter!!!
mike

·
Registered
968 Posts
2015, as I've discussed several times - after exhausting scientific studies at Oxford and Harvard, 2015 was found to be significantly the best year on several fronts, all actually.
I'm glad to have that specific year! Just luck I guess.

·
Registered
670 Posts
2015, as I've discussed several times - after exhausting scientific studies at Oxford and Harvard, 2015 was found to be significantly the best year on several fronts, all actually.
I'm glad to have that specific year! Just luck I guess.
Au Contraire,

It was a constant uphill battle since '88, but finally, 2016 arrived with the fastest color. Or colour if you will! And once coupled to a #34 pilot jet, it will crank at half a sneeze on the button and idle before you can run your nose up and down your sleeve. Why would anyone want to abuse and KICK such a wonderful toy?

While the 2017 ran a close second, the brown flash on the tank was not near the quality smooth paint as the gray flash, or, grey(Earl) if you will, and therefore not near as aerodynamic.

The vintage 2016 model remains highly sought after to this day as reflected by kids always giving me the rev-it-up and pop a wheelie hands signal or, asking me if they can ride it. Also evidenced by the looks and stares it gets even from grown-ups that I can see pointing at it whenever they go around me in the right lane.

Why sometimes I even get the Blue Light Thumbs Up when driving on the left side side of the road. But they don't seem to think that the COLOUR matters!

The below graph, or chart, clearly shows the peak of the T-Dubs Roamin' Empire. Notice the heavy nod to the '87 due to the timing curve. Even smooth paint can't outrun 186,000 Miles-A-Second! See disclaimer below chart.

DISCLAIMER;
Please note that if a kick start kit showed up at my front door it would NOT be looked upon by the eyes of a veterinarian working on the teeth of a horse! :D

Marty

·
Registered
925 Posts
I like the pre-1999's. Mine, a '95, is easy to work on and responds well to maintenance. A couple years ago I found a '98 for $700.00. Some simple break work, re-wiring and carb cleaning and it was back on the road. I only sold it because I only need one motorcycle and my '95 had a fresh top-end rebuild. I didn't know the '98's internal engine history. It run good, tho.

I agree that TWs became more "sorted" through the years. A good example is the rear mono-shock. My '95's rear stock shock is one of the poorly welded OEMs. Things like that got better, no doubt.

·
Registered
691 Posts
1987's because they are the fastest and best looking.
1987, of course! It's the TW's first year - the one that started it all. All other years of the TW200 simply must give respect to their elders!

·
Super Moderator
5,322 Posts
With regards to the late 90’s models, the “faults” were largely predictable, and easily fixed. Yeah, the lower shock welds were a bit “cranky”, but very few of them actually failed. My only other regret was the lack of a re-settable tacho – mine came with no re-set, and in Kms. 35 quid soon sorted that one out, with a speedo from a TW125, in Mph, with the re-set button – mileage was about the same, so it was an all round result

With 7k (give or take) now on the clock, other than the paint on the head fins, it still looks pretty good – and compared to the peeling pitted chrome work of its predecessors, I’ll take that as an improvement. 22 years on, and it’s still looking good

The ‘87’s are still the most prevalent, simply because of the success of the TW’s launch resulting in large numbers of that year being sold. This, combined with the now “lower” value of the ’87, has resulted in an influx of “Hey, I got a bargain, how do I get it running?” posts. Most new owners of the ‘87’s have electrical problems, but at least Yamaha got the mechanical side right

Moving on the early 90’s, and something Admiral said about “starting problems” comes to mind. It was never to do with the idle settings, these things are just “stubborn”

Mid to late 90’s and now were cooking, lessons have been learned, the production line has settled down, producing decent bikes straight off the rack

Roll forward to 2001, and Yamaha had a meeting, and “Mashimoto”, their chief engineer, decided to “yuppify” the TW. Gone was the kickstart, deciding instead that the customer base was far too sophisticated to lift a right leg, the stator output was upped to 55w for all those fashion accessories the future generation expects to use these days, like hair curlers – and to get around emergent emission laws, the CV carb was a compromise – “at least it runs” kind of a thing. The introduction of a disc brake on a dirt bike was absolute brilliance – finally, a front wheel you could lock up easily in the rough, the perfect compliment to the “death wing” – but hey, it looks good, and that’s all that counts from a sales point of view

Gone were the days of “kicking” it into life, gone were the carbs we all understood and relied on, instead replaced by “convenience”, and reflecting the next generation of “soft” bikers, with their “heated grips”. Look at the old Harleys compared to the new – no more hard tails, it’s now riding on a sofa, listening to the stereo

Strange thing – “progress” ……

·
Registered
19 Posts
Au Contraire,

It was a constant uphill battle since '88, but finally, 2016 arrived with the fastest color. Or colour if you will! And once coupled to a #34 pilot jet, it will crank at half a sneeze on the button and idle before you can run your nose up and down your sleeve. Why would anyone want to abuse and KICK such a wonderful toy?

While the 2017 ran a close second, the brown flash on the tank was not near the quality smooth paint as the gray flash, or, grey(Earl) if you will, and therefore not near as aerodynamic.

The vintage 2016 model remains highly sought after to this day as reflected by kids always giving me the rev-it-up and pop a wheelie hands signal or, asking me if they can ride it. Also evidenced by the looks and stares it gets even from grown-ups that I can see pointing at it whenever they go around me in the right lane.

Why sometimes I even get the Blue Light Thumbs Up when driving on the left side side of the road. But they don't seem to think that the COLOUR matters!

The below graph, or chart, clearly shows the peak of the T-Dubs Roamin' Empire. Notice the heavy nod to the '87 due to the timing curve. Even smooth paint can't outrun 186,000 Miles-A-Second! See disclaimer below chart.
View attachment 207031

DISCLAIMER;
Please note that if a kick start kit showed up at my front door it would NOT be looked upon by the eyes of a veterinarian working on the teeth of a horse! :D

Marty
LMFAO !!

·
Registered
225 Posts
I am inclined by my very nature to reply "Well they are mostly all just about the same".

Then I reflect upon the differences between my first and my second Wives. I'd say, the newer, the better.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
342 Posts
Well let me say this thread is very entertaining. Many responses just what I expected but still more fun than going to the theatre. As for colour, any TW is only 1 rattle can away from a makeovre! That being said, I like my 1999 since I can party like it is. Colour is Hammertone ( Can't touch this!) frame and OD skins. I believe any of the years that have electric and kick start from the factory are nice. As far as build quality my 99 has certainly handled with style and aplomb all the farkling and abuse I have put it through.

My wife had a 2012 for several years and I can attest to the fact that the front disc brake was no better than the drum on mine but looked more modern, and the engine seemed to have less powour. Granted I re-geared mine and when I bought it it was missing or had so many mangled teeth I have no idea what the original arrangement was, kinda like Terry Thomas after being punched in the mouth by Mike Tyson.

I would say any year TW that has the rectangulour headlight is the best!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts