TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Is this a factory oil filter?

14K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  Loghousenut 
#1 ·
Oil filter Metal Filter Auto part Copper
Auto part Filter Oil filter Metal

Does any one know if this is a OEM filter? It is fine metal screen, maybe brass. It was in my '06 when I got it with a couple thousand miles on it.
I've been cleaning it every thousand miles or so when I change oil. Have 11,000+ miles on it and filter is still solid. The filters I've seen pictured on the forum
aren't pleated. Just wondering what I've got?
Thanks and God bless.....

MAC

See less See more
Reactions: Loghousenut
#2 ·
View attachment 21278 View attachment 21277
Does any one know if this is a OEM filter? It is fine metal screen, maybe brass. It was in my '06 when I got it with a couple thousand miles on it.
I've been cleaning it every thousand miles or so when I change oil. Have 11,000+ miles on it and filter is still solid. The filters I've seen pictured on the forum
aren't pleated. Just wondering what I've got?
Thanks and God bless.....

MAC
Yes that is the factory installed filter that came on my 2013.

Tom

This post has been deleted
#5 ·
MAC, the one that you have seen in some pictures....brass...but NOT pleated...is also a factory installed oil filter. That is what I took OUT of my 2014 TW today...a non-pleated brass filter.
My 2014 had a factory pleated one. Maybe they just got a bargain deal on some cheap non-pleated?
The first replacement filter I bought (pleated)...my dog ate!

#3 ·
Thanks for the good intel:cool:. I should probably get one for a backup.

God Bless

MAC

#6 ·
I hope this isn't too much of a hijack of the thread...but...
How often should the filter be changed out? I mean, I've been throwing them away whenever I change the oil. If I can reuse them, it would be great.
Do I just clean it from the inside out with carb cleaner?
How do I know when it's "used up?"

#10 · (Edited)
Apparently mine has over 11k on it and is still going strong. As fishguy mentioned a rip or even the tiniest hole would be unacceptable. Also if it seems crushed in any way I would replace it. The pleated design seems structurally stronger as well as having a much greater filtering area. I always blow mine out from the inside with WD40 or contact cleaner. I ran out of both and used the last of a can of ether that was on the shelf. Had to take a short break after that:p. I think carb cleaner would be excessive and is hazardous to your heath:eek:. A couple of my pleats are slightly bent but the filter is not compromised as far as i can see. If it aint broke.............

God Bless

MAC

P.S. fishguy, thanks for the parts numbers!!!!!!

#7 ·
The last "stock" filter I purchased was pleated brass (Yamaha 5H0-13440-09).

WIX also sells a pleated brass filter (57934) and it includes a new o-ring. And, yes it has 4 holes in the inlet end.

I guess I just like to buy oil filters because a brass filter should last forever if it doesn't rip.

Caution: Some non- "4 hole" filters have been sold by dealers. It can kill a TW motor. How a dealer can let that happen amazes me.

#9 · (Edited)
Caution: Some non- "4 hole" filters have been sold by dealers. It can kill a TW motor. How a dealer can let that happen amazes me.
Amazing isn't it! I've heard that 50% of dealers graduated in the bottom half of their "dealership" classes!;) Some dealers are good, it just seems like most we have around here are real bone heads!

#8 ·
Apparently both of my TW's (2005 & 2015) have the "garbage" filter. Both are the non-pleated brass screen filters.

Looks like both have been used as OEM!

#13 ·
CAUTION! Off topic:

It is funny how our culture has taught us to use something once and throw it away. I call it the "toilet paper principle".

I guarantee that if you are ever caught in camp without toilet paper and the closest is a couple days away, you will learn how to use a wash cloth. And, reuse it.

TW's are like that. I have seen then being used by irrigating crews on western ranches. Ridden hard. Put away wet. And, the repairs that the farm workers make! Don't get me started -- but, what I am saying is they are more like tractors than motorcycles. Maintenance is simple and doesn't, necessarily, require a lot of replacement parts.

#18 ·
CAUTION! Off topic:

It is funny how our culture has taught us to use something once and throw it away. I call it the "toilet paper principle
Call me crazy, but i replace mine at every oil change [ the manual says do it every other oil change]. Those things are like none dollars a piece, so i can't be bothered to worry about things like toilet paper mentalities. (the tw would probably run just fine if you just shove some toilet paper in there though :p )

#23 ·

#25 ·
Caught in camp without toilet paper? I'll go you one better.

Forty years ago, we were 2 days into a 50 mile hike, just me and a fairly new look ladyfreind. She was intrigued that I could go a week in the woods with only 35 lbs of backpack (per person). Well, I was pretty good at it but there are tricks to making it work. How was I to know that women can't use the Readers Digest for toilet paper.

It took two days to realize how serious this lack of soft paper was, and it took two days for us to meet anyone else on the trail. There they were, setting up camp by a lake when we wandered by. Elaine was too embarrassed to go talk to these teenaged strangers about delicate female problems, so I made myself known and wandered in to have a chat.

It was a good talk. They were new to the area and this was my stomping grounds, so I was able to offer some local information that made a better hike for them. This was back when a lot of us still did not carry a stove to cook on and depended on fire. They had a string of fish but no evidence that they were making progress toward supper.

I finally slumped down as low as I could and explained how my love life could sure use some toilet paper. You shoulda seen how brilliantly that spark in their eyes lit up their little camp when, in unison, they both said.

"We got plenty of toilet paper... You got any matches?".