TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously it's a BMW advertisement but the question is it the video cool or is it hip ?

On one hand the bike hasn't been all bobstercafe'd to crap and has no fake "patina". Cool
On the other hand there's some funky old stuff in the background. Hip? I'm not so sure the stuff in the background is "eclectic"or just left over because most of us have a lot of that stuff. Also the woman in the video is not 22 years old and dressed ironically.

Hipster or just cool, whadda you guys think ?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thank you. It reminds me of why I've been attracted to motorcycles since I was a boy. There's a romance to them that other methods of transport don't have. It's the anticipation of a ride. The exhilaration of acceleration. The satisfaction when you turn the motor off and take off the helmet. The pleasure of having repaired or maintained it with you own hands.

Even though my wife hates them, motorcycles are a fascinating part of life..

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
"But who blows the dust off a spark plug?"

She does, and I'm ok with that. Nice classic boxer. 1980's Beemers are becoming the next investment motorcycles. Simple non-efi bikes you can still work on yourself.

·
Super Moderator
17,945 Posts
It's the scrambler edition, so it's a CL350. I had a CB350 in 1970 and went back and forth between Treasure Island, San Fran and San Diego on the weekends. Talk about a body numbing ride!! :D
Looks like a 1969 CB350.

·
Super Moderator
17,945 Posts
I walked into that dealer in 1970 and test rode the Mighty 750. I took so much time on the test ride, (down Lombard St, etc, etc, etc) that the salesman was standing out on the sidewalk looking up and down the street for my return...snicker snicker...I popped a wheelie as I came down the street. Boy was he pissed!! Especially when I told him I'd think about it and didn't buy...

LT- You're absolutely right. Got the B & L mixed up. I bought a brand new 1970 CL from SF Honda (Orange/Cream $777.00) on Van Ness and learned to ride on the mean streets of SF (Haight Ashbury & G.G. Park) while I was working. First M/C And first paycheck.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I walked into that dealer in 1970 and test rode the Mighty 750. I took so much time on the test ride, (down Lombard St, etc, etc, etc) that the salesman was standing out on the sidewalk looking up and down the street for my return...snicker snicker...I popped a wheelie as I came down the street. Boy was he pissed!! Especially when I told him I'd think about it and didn't buy...
Wow,you and BillMichaels were at the epicenter of insanity in this country in 1970. Must have really been something.
Spent Summer of 1972 living in Berkley and picked up my first MC at a dealer in Albany, a Wards (as in Montgomery-Wards) Riverside 125. Actually a Benelli but they made them for Wards. I had just turned 17. California was a much different planet than where I was from in Northern New Jersey.

·
Super Moderator
17,945 Posts
From 65 to 72, I was having the time of my life!! Interesting times for sure that I will never forget. Not all good, not all bad, but lesson's learned back then made me the man I am today, and I can live with that.
Wow,you and BillMichaels were at the epicenter of insanity in this country in 1970. Must have really been something.
Spent Summer of 1972 living in Berkley and picked up my first MC at a dealer in Albany, a Wards (as in Montgomery-Wards) Riverside 125. Actually a Benelli but they made them for Wards. I had just turned 17. California was a much different planet than where I was from in Northern New Jersey.

·
Registered
562 Posts
That's when BMWs were BMWs, not like today with prices of 20k before accessories.

I'm kinda joking of course. I gravitate towards minimalistic old school fun. I guess that's why I own a Taw200. Even if I had the money for a new R1200, id still have a TW.

·
Registered
7,098 Posts
From 65 to 72, I was having the time of my life!! Interesting times for sure that I will never forget. Not all good, not all bad, but lesson's learned back then made me the man I am today, and I can live with that.
Those were good years.

In 70 or 71 I bought a used Honda 160 for $100 and drove it to college the last 2 years. My car crapped out and I needed transportation ASAP.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts