TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Never seen that before. Mine has 4800 miles and is discolored where it enters the head so I just wrapped it.

Reactions: Swingarm and Ken

·
Registered
922 Posts
I thought all exhaust pipes looked bad. I bet this is from mud droplets or just water hitting the hot pipe and causing some kind of havoc. You could:
1) Ignore it (my choice).
2) Wrap it. Looks cool.
3) Paint it, again.
4) Wire wheel and then paint it.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
They probably didn't cure it correctly. Wire brush it, 1000 degree heat paint. Follow the directions for curing. I never used an oven. I just run it about 10 minutes then 30 then an hour with wait times in between. Nice little rides. It all falls off again in a few years but do over. It keeps it protected. I paint mine on the bike. I just use cardboard or newspaper to shield for overspray.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So no one thinks that it could be an indication of an engine running too lean? I'm not that concerned about the cosmetics of it.

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
So no one thinks that it could be an indication of an engine running too lean? I'm not that concerned about the cosmetics of it.
Unless you have adjusted the pilot screw I guarantee it is running lean/hot. Plenty of info here on making that adjustment.

Tom

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Unless you have adjusted the pilot screw I guarantee it is running lean/hot. Plenty of info here on making that adjustment.

Tom
Off course you are correct, so I have just completed the whole pilot jet scenario. After removing the seat, tank and side panels I disconnected the throttle cables so I could rotate the carb enough to get at the pilot screw plug. I discovered I had to remove the intake tappet cover for enough clearance to rotate the carb. I removed the plug to adjust the pilot screw and was shocked to find that the pilot screw was screwed all the way in! That's how it came from the factory. From my limited knowledge of carbs I would think the bike should not even have been able to run like that. I backed it out two turns, reassembled everything and the bike is running great. I have ordered a tool that will allow easier adjustment of the pilot screw while the bike is running so I can fine tune it.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
That’s the first time I’ve ever heard of a mixture screw turned all the way in from the factory. I don’t think that’s part of the assembly that is completed at the dealership. Glad it worked out for you. I am also surprised it ran at all. Cheers

·
Registered
248 Posts
Off course you are correct, so I have just completed the whole pilot jet scenario. After removing the seat, tank and side panels I disconnected the throttle cables so I could rotate the carb enough to get at the pilot screw plug. I discovered I had to remove the intake tappet cover for enough clearance to rotate the carb. I removed the plug to adjust the pilot screw and was shocked to find that the pilot screw was screwed all the way in! That's how it came from the factory. From my limited knowledge of carbs I would think the bike should not even have been able to run like that. I backed it out two turns, reassembled everything and the bike is running great. I have ordered a tool that will allow easier adjustment of the pilot screw while the bike is running so I can fine tune it.
” good for you “ , as has been said many times plenty info on forum regarding running lean/ hot, run it a bit on rich side in my experience.
regarding flaky paint !, as already been said all apply or if you are really bothered about appearance , why not get pipe ceramic coated and if that’s too expensive for you , go down route of stainless header ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts