TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
because if it it is- this video is one of the things that led me to the purchase of my TW back in June. I've watched it many times before and since my purchase[it doesn't hurt that I listen pearl jam/eddie vedder way more than is probably healthy]... but I can't help but wonder if it is one of you guys here.

·
Super Moderator
18,061 Posts
That video has come up a thousand times here and I don't think I ever heard anyone say it was a member,:confused: so maybe not.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I can't watch the video here but the guy needs his head examined doing that type of riding with a Death Wing up front.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
the guy needs his head examined doing that type of riding with a Death Wing up front.

GaryL
Those were my exact thoughts will watching the video!

·
Registered
20,387 Posts
Craig, that sentiment comes from those who after once trying most any other front tire discover that the OEM tire sorely lacks in handling qualities and they crash much less often than on the stock tire. I once asked here if anyone had changed back to the stock front tire after experiencing a Shinko or other front tire. No one responded that they preferred going back to stock.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
What are we calling a Death Wing? I'm lost!
What Fred said, but to clarify...the OEM stock front tire is a Bridgestone Trail Wing 31.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Also, it is my understanding that Matt is a member, but has been inactive for many years. That is still THE t'dub video though!

·
Registered
13,727 Posts
I once asked here if anyone had changed back to the stock front tire after experiencing a Shinko or other front tire. No one responded that they preferred going back to stock.
I did and am using the supposed Death Wing right now on my new TW. I haven't had any problems with it so far. I don't think tread wise it will last as long as my Shinko 244's have, but no problems so far. I've mentioned this before in another post. I've been riding it around the hills with about 10psi. and grips pretty well. Aired up it doesn't conform to the terrain and rolls off rocks instead of absorbing them.

This photo is from September and I rode this very steep downhill with loose dirt/sand with the stock "Death Wing" again this past weekend with sscooter and his wife. Just ask him how steep it is!

Also, it is my understanding that Matt is a member, but has been inactive for many years. That is still THE t'dub video though!
Yep.

·
Registered
55 Posts
That's Matt In The Wild. Don't know if he's a member but you guys should check out his you tube channel. He does awesome/ insane things.

P. S. Most of my off road riding has been through gnarley stuff like that w/ the death wing. Haven't died yet.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I did and am using the supposed Death Wing right now on my new TW. I haven't had any problems with it so far. I don't think tread wise it will last as long as my Shinko 244's have, but no problems so far. I've mentioned this before in another post. I've been riding it around the hills with about 10psi. and grips pretty well. Aired up it doesn't conform to the terrain and rolls off rocks instead of absorbing them.

This photo is from September and I rode this very steep downhill with loose dirt/sand with the stock "Death Wing" again this past weekend with sscooter and his wife. Just ask him how steep it is!

Yep.

It's amazing how much a camera's perspective removes the perception of steepness from a hill! I used to be in an ATV club which had some wicked steep and challenging hills, and any time I took a picture of one of them it looked like a bunny slope.

Reactions: admiral

·
Registered
6,437 Posts

Yep.

I think your observations about the stock front tire are spot on. Last spring I was a total noob on a motorcycle and I have managed well over 4,000 miles on the stock front tire. It is "in my opinion" a decent all around tire if aired down properly. The two weakest surfaces are mud first, and loose gravel over a hard packed surface. I am a trail rider though and not ready for any hare scrambles:D

Full disclosure here: I have never ridden my TW with ANY other front tire so maybe I am missing out.

Tom

Reactions: admiral

·
Registered
13,727 Posts
It's amazing how much a camera's perspective removes the perception of steepness from a hill! I used to be in an ATV club which had some wicked steep and challenging hills, and any time I took a picture of one of them it looked like a bunny slope.
Camera's suck in this regard. Even though this is actually very steep in the picture and it doesn't looks steep, it's still kind of technical which is why I used this picture.

Video's aren't much better except they do move so sometimes you can tell.

·
Registered
13,727 Posts
I think your observations about the stock front tire are spot on. Last spring I was a total noob on a motorcycle and I have managed well over 4,000 miles on the stock front tire. It is "in my opinion" a decent all around tire if aired down properly. The two weakest surfaces are mud first, and loose gravel over a hard packed surface. I am a trail rider though and not ready for any hare scrambles:D

Full disclosure here: I have never ridden my TW with ANY other front tire so maybe I am missing out.

Tom

I have no doubt there are better tires, but I think the stock tire gets a little more blame than it should. Sometimes it's the rider and not the tire. And each tire "can" feel different to us individually. What feels safe and secure for me might not feel that way for you.

I'm not a tire expert by any means, but in my experience a tire that is fully filled with air, is not always that good off-road. I have just as bad a feeling with a fully aired SR244 as I do with the stock. I have to let air out and be between 10-12 psi. to feel comfortable. (By the way, I have to have the same psi. in the stock rear to feel comfortable off-road as well).

As you mention, I can only comment on 4 tires because I've used them. The stock is fine, but I had a horrible feeling when I rode it on a grooved concrete road surface. This was the only surface I felt unsafe riding. SR244 on the same concrete surface, no problem.

I feel more confident in any gravel with the Stock tire and 5.10 SR244 than I do with the 4.60 SR244 (all aired down). For me, the 4.60 wanders more, but it could be my riding style causing that, so don't want to unduly blame the 4.60 either. 4.60 is lighter than both stock and 5.10 SR244, but I haven't figured out the advantage of that. I can pop the front end easier with it, but sometimes not when I want it too.

Oh, and the 4th tire I mentioned was also a Bridgestone, Trail Wing 42 I believe. For me this tire was too hard and even when aired down it never gripped like I needed. I was always unsure when riding in/over/around off-camber ruts. It tended to slip.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I saw that vid too. Cool stuff.
All I can say is the shinko 244 is one that is more forgiving to a new rider off road then the stock front tire. That and some new riding skills made a HUGE improvement. Now If I can just cut down on sliding my rear around...hehe. I've been eyeing the TW32 for that.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Screenshot by Lightshot

I rolled my old Big Bear over on this hill it was so steep. Looks like flat ground in the pic.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts