TW200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seen multiple times that the 87' had an electrical problem. I have a lead on a 87' with 2800 miles but no title. He said it isn't starting but it did run recently. I'm guessing carb needs replaced but what do I know. He wants 800$ obo I figure 700$ and its worth it for parts. What do you guys think.

·
Registered
445 Posts
It all depend on the condition of the bike. In my opinion, $700 is a lot to pay for a nonrunning, no title, parts bike - especially considering it is an '87.
Yup, too much. '87 is different than all other years electrically, different CDI, so it can be harder to get parts, plus their parts won't be usable in other bikes. That's a $3-400 bike if you need some parts off it, or want the kick starter and are willing to sell the other parts when you can.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
76 Posts
87 has reputation of the CDI (ignition box) going bad. The CDI will randomly fail but often still run. It mimicks a carb problem and eventually fails completely. You can still buy the CDI from Yamaha for around 240. I have two 87s and they both run great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts