TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a work gun...would rather go used as my work guns don't get the best treatment...and it's not life or limb....3x9, or 4x12...along those lines...decent quality please....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
For a work gun...would rather go used as my work guns don't get the best treatment...and it's not life or limb....3x9, or 4x12...along those lines...decent quality please....

What caliber? Price range? I have probably 25 riflescopes of various quality/manufacturer's. Might be able to point you in a decent direction.....

Tom

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What caliber? Price range? I have probably 25 riflescopes of various quality/manufacturer's. Might be able to point you in a decent direction.....

Tom
17hmr....dinged my old Bushnell I had on it..primary close to town rifle as it can be suppressed, small chance of ricochet, old bushy was fogged up this morn...I do ADC work for our canal company...

·
Registered
283 Posts
Bushnell has a lifetime warranty i think. Got one as a gift years and years ago, put it on a 9lb .22lr and the reticle fell down in it. They fixed or sent me a new one but it was close to three months and the whole time they denied that they ever received it till the day it came home. Not sure how the recoil on a gun that heavy and anaemic of cartridge destroys a scope, but ive never bought another. Im a leupold or vortex guy mostly, but i had a friend who put a bsa sweet 17 i think on his little 17 and he loved it. The reticle was already set for certain distances for one brand of ammo. Never owned a bsa, but they definitely are pretty low on the food chain.
Keep us posted on what u get.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
17hmr....dinged my old Bushnell I had on it..primary close to town rifle as it can be suppressed, small chance of ricochet, old bushy was fogged up this morn...I do ADC work for our canal company...

If you have a sporting goods store close to you where you can purchase in person "easy return policy" I would buy a Barska brand scope. They are available in many styles for under $100 and in my experience they are built like a tank. You may have a hard time getting it zeroed at first but that is because Barska uses VERY heavy retention springs on the adjustment turrets. The good news is once they are zeroed they don't budge! If you do get a lemon just exchange it where you bought it for another.

I have had a Barska 4-12 with an illuminated reticle on my .50 muzzleloader for around ten years now and it has held a perfect zero through some heavy abuse. I also have one on a Mossberg ATR 30/06 that has held up for about 8 years now and that gun has hundreds of rounds through it. Very good value for the money. If your budget is a little larger there are plenty of used Nikon riflescopes on Ebay that are very competitively priced.

Tom

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you have a sporting goods store close to you where you can purchase in person "easy return policy" I would buy a Barska brand scope. They are available in many styles for under $100 and in my experience they are built like a tank. You may have a hard time getting it zeroed at first but that is because Barska uses VERY heavy retention springs on the adjustment turrets. The good news is once they are zeroed they don't budge! If you do get a lemon just exchange it where you bought it for another.

I have had a Barska 4-12 with an illuminated reticle on my .50 muzzleloader for around ten years now and it has held a perfect zero through some heavy abuse. I also have one on a Mossberg ATR 30/06 that has held up for about 8 years now and that gun has hundreds of rounds through it. Very good value for the money. If your budget is a little larger there are plenty of used Nikon riflescopes on Ebay that are very competitively priced.

Tom
Own one now...

·
Registered
217 Posts
No use getting a big power scope. I have the 2-7x33mm on my 17 hmr. You are only going to shoot like a 22 mag so there is no sense overpowering your rifle. I use the Redfield revenge scopes.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No use getting a big power scope. I have the 2-7x33mm on my 17 hmr. You are only going to shoot like a 22 lr so there is no sense overpowering your rifle. I use the Redfield revenge scopes.
Shot a 17hmr for over 10 years...my job entails some precise shots...It wears a suppressor most days...ADC guy for a public ententy...Work doesn't buy my firearms, but they do buy my ammo...Thought I might to be able to help another tw guy and myself by saving some money both ways...Thanks for your input...

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Shot a 17hmr for over 10 years...my job entails some precise shots...It wears a suppressor most days...ADC guy for a public ententy...Work doesn't buy my firearms, but they do buy my ammo...Thought I might to be able to help another tw guy and myself by saving some money both ways...Thanks for your input...

You never said what you actually thought of your Barska?

Tom

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Fair for a 2 moa gun...

Ouch. Not a lot of room in my gun safe for a 2 M.O.A rifle. You don't sound impressed with your Barska and you would not be the only person if that is indeed the case. Personally between myself, my son and my dad we have only had one dud and that was a red dot model by Barska. We returned that one no questions asked to Gander Mountain.

Tom

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ouch. Not a lot of room in my gun safe for a 2 M.O.A rifle. You don't sound impressed with your Barska and you would not be the only person if that is indeed the case. Personally between myself, my son and my dad we have only had one dud and that was a red dot model by Barska. We returned that one no questions asked to Gander Mountain.

Tom
It does better than 2moa..spoiled by my ragged hole bolt guns...Bariska is fine, the only one I have seen is the one I bought at wallyworld...

·
Registered
20,196 Posts
So Travis, still looking to buy a reasonably priced used scope from a TW forum member?
Seems like everyone missed your kind offer to buy second hand from us and rather gave advice on going shopping.
When it comes to popping a muskrat on the far bank a little higher magnification isn’t that bad a thing; it’s not like your facing a charging lion with half a second to get a good sight picture.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So Travis, still looking to buy a reasonably priced used scope from a TW forum member?
Seems like everyone missed your kind offer to buy second hand from us and rather gave advice on going shopping.
When it comes to popping a muskrat on the far bank a little higher magnification isn’t that bad a thing; it’s not like your facing a charging lion with half a second to get a good sight picture.
Wow...Fred gets it!!!! I get a lot of half head Rockchuck shots in the 80-120 yard range...

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
I did not miss the original intent at all. In the case of my recommendation "for a serviceable beater" scope it would make considerably more sense to just buy new locally and avoid any shipping costs. Now if Flathats wants a pricier model that is a horse of a different color. I could easily offer up one of my Leupold Vari-X-II scopes at about half the cost of new but after proper packaging and shipping he is still going to spend about $200. Overkill pricing for his modest needs.........

Tom

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did not miss the original intent at all. In the case of my recommendation "for a serviceable beater" scope it would make considerably more sense to just buy new locally and avoid any shipping costs. Now if Flathats wants a pricier model that is a horse of a different color. I could easily offer up one of my Leupold Vari-X-II scopes at about half the cost of new but after proper packaging and shipping he is still going to spend about $200. Overkill pricing for his modest needs.........

Tom
I'm in the 200 range...or maybe a bit more....researching what's out there before I buy new..

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
I'm in the 200 range...or maybe a bit more....researching what's out there before I buy new..

When I get home I will look through my scopes and post up here what I have that is available. Maybe I can get a good deal out to you after all.

Tom

1 - 20 of 36 Posts