TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! First I'm a female and have been riding dirt bikes for a few years. I want a dual sports bike and the TW looks like the best option for me. I've been searching for a TW200 for a while now so I thought I would try my luck on here. I am in the Kansas City area and only have about 2000+/- to spend. I want something made in the last 10 year if possible! Also something under 4,000 miles. If someone has any leads let me know! I saw the one in Andover KS unfortunately I had surgery this morning and he's got a big for the weekend. Thanks for the help in advance!

·
Super Moderator
4,047 Posts
Hi there :)

Welcome aboard! You will love a TW should you get one. I'm sure people here will go out of there way to help you. They are the best kind ;)

JJ

Hey everyone! First I'm a female and have been riding dirt bikes for a few years. I want a dual sports bike and the TW looks like the best option for me. I've been searching for a TW200 for a while now so I thought I would try my luck on here. I am in the Kansas City area and only have about 2000+/- to spend. I want something made in the last 10 year if possible! Also something under 4,000 miles. If someone has any leads let me know! I saw the one in Andover KS unfortunately I had surgery this morning and he's got a big for the weekend. Thanks for the help in advance!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Welcome Khou! We have a number of female riders here, but all of us share love and appreciation for the little t-dub. Fyi, all of them from model year 2001 through today are ALL EXACTLY THE SAME...well except for colors. Pre-2001 models are still great, but just have some small differences such as a drum front brake (vs. a disc), a slide carb (vs. a CV carb), a stock kickstarter in addition to the electric (though the newer bikes can add the parts to add a kicker), and the newer bikes have the latest and strongest electrical system.

Good luck with your search!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I live in between Kansas City Kansas and Kansas City MO! It's equal distances for me to both. I am less than a 4 hour drive Omaha, NE Witchita, KS Springfield, MO. and Southern Iowa. I can also make it to Tulsa OK, and parts of Illinoise pretty easily!
Thank you! :D

Khou, welcome to the greatest show on earth. :D

Kansas City...Kansas ? Or Kansas City...Misery ? (Missouri)

We need to know which one, so we can assist you in your search. :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
They are out there but if they are a good deal the TW will move fast so you need to be diligent and ready to pounce when you do find a deal on one. I scored a 2003 with just over a thousand miles in very clean shape for $2,000. I was the first to call and go look at it 2 1/2 hours away with cash in my pocket. The guy had numerous calls already by the time I arrived. He was asking $2,500 and told me these others were willing to go full price. But I was there with the cash and they were still talking so he decided on the sure thing and knocked $500 off.

There are many of these bikes that people just let sit in a garage but the problem is lucking into one. That said, they can be very rare and harder to find in certain parts of the US and I live in one of those areas. I'd say they are not real common in your area also. I have seen them occasionally on CL here still but they seem to go fast if they are priced decently. Some clowns have a 5 year old used TW listed for $500 less than a new one costs with 5K miles on the speedo. Personally I'd spring the extra $500 and get a new one in that case. I have seen these bikes price range from $1,800 for two matching older 1990 models to $2,500 to $3,500 for nice used bikes to almost new prices. It is a crap shoot. The two for one price I was ready to jump on but was beaten. I would have bought both and then resold one for what I paid for two and had a free TW. I still look for deals on them just to see what is out there. I am in KY 35 miles SW of Cincinnati and about 50 miles north of Lexington, KY. I never see TW's out and about.

These are fun little bikes and I get more chatter at the gas pumps and such when I stop than any other bike I've owned. They have a cult following and you have reached out to the right place for anything and everything you would want to know or need right here. There are many very knowledgable long time (as in decades) owners and TW riders here. Good Luck and Welcome! Be patient and keep looking. The farther you are willing to go for the right deal the better your odds are. I had been looking for awhile and missed out on a couple of deals before I found mine. My TW was a Michigan bike that migrated south to a ways north of Columbus, OH. I'm the 3rd owner and the 2nd only had it a couple of years. Rode it one summer a few hundred miles is what he told me. Also got it to accompany his young son on his ATV. I found old paperwork on the bike so the story adds up. Dude wanted a bigger bike. The TW is fine on the road and great off road. They have a bit to be desired on higher speed roads and are a no go on freeways, etc; Just so you know. They are great on back roads and such or comfortable anywhere 55 MPH and under.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Welcome from Wichita. I saw the TW on CL in Andover. That looked like a decent deal to me. I would think two grand would be a reasonable price on it if he hasn't sold yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the welcome! It's a good deal in my opinion too! I just am not able to make it out there this weekend due to my surgery and he had someone coming to look at it and buy it. So I think I'm missing out and I'm bummed about that!
:(

Welcome from Wichita. I saw the TW on CL in Andover. That looked like a decent deal to me. I would think two grand would be a reasonable price on it if he hasn't sold yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really appreciate the time you took to respond! I love all of the new information I am getting. I have someone who has a 2007 TW with 3700 miles on it that he says sometimes has trouble starting that he's wanting to sell me for 2900. I'm concerned about the starting issue and don't know what would be causing it really except a carborator needing cleaned and a fuel flush since he said it's been sitting more than its been driven! If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
I really appreciate the time you took to respond! I love all of the new information I am getting. I have someone who has a 2007 TW with 3700 miles on it that he says sometimes has trouble starting that he's wanting to sell me for 2900. I'm concerned about the starting issue and don't know what would be causing it really except a carborator needing cleaned and a fuel flush since he said it's been sitting more than its been driven! If anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated!
Usually easily fixable and we'll help you through everything... Just take your time and find a good one. We deal with problems like you say above all the time...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The guy selling it says it's cold blooded is this normally the case with these bikes?
I have had issues buying bikes that might need a "little" work before! I don't want to get in a situation like that again haha. I agree if it won't start I'm not going to pay for a non running bike unless it's heavily discounted.
Thanks again everyone!

Khou, as you have already surmised, that '07 bike with 3700 miles on it most likely has a carb issue, and needs to be cleaned out and "possibly" have the Pilot Jet changed out on it.

Carb issues are common here, and there are 93.14159 people on here that can help you with that, and walk you thru the needs of what has to be done.

BUT.......any bike....1987 to 2016 that has a starting problem, also gets discounted in price. If the current owner is either too lazy about getting it to start perfectly, so he can show it off to a potential buyer...or he lacks the knowledge of what to do.......then he just lost money on that bike. ;)

Many of us here would tell you, if the bike doesn't start when you go to look at it....then it is a NON-Running bike. Period !

And a NON-Running bike is worth a LOT less than a running bike. :eek:

Like...how do you know there is even a piston in the engine ? How do you know if the transmission works, or the Clutch works ? :dontknow:

You get my point, without me belaboring it. :rolleyes:

So, rule # 1 is that is better to buy a RUNNING bike, than a Non-Running bike....because you can see it run, and check out how the mechanicals function.

Rule # 2 is...if the bike won't start...for WHATEVER reason....then it is classified as a NON-Running bike, and the price just dropped in half. :D

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
The guy selling it says it's cold blooded is this normally the case with these bikes?
I have had issues buying bikes that might need a "little" work before! I don't want to get in a situation like that again haha. I agree if it won't start I'm not going to pay for a non running bike unless it's heavily discounted.
Thanks again everyone!
They often are cold blooded until they have the pilot jet mixture screw adjusted a bit. Again, no big problem, if that really is the problem.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Don't worry about the hard starting. Both my 2013 and the 1996 were that way. The 13 was just a mixture adjustment and the 96 was the same. The guy that I bought the 96 from told about the starting issue. When I got home I adjusted the mixture screw out two turns, drove to the end of driveway, turn of the choke and took off. She runs and starts like my 13.

FYI six weeks ago I bought the 1996 for $1400. Bad tires, bad break cable, very bad signal switch and two quarts of oil in the engine. Location was 40 miles south of you.
The good part was that it had 2100 miles on it. I was going to use it as a working learning bike and put it back to original. I think I may change my mind. Keep finding little things that I will have to fix.

It took me 9 months to locate my 2013. Drove to Paducah to pick it up.

Just keep looking, you may have to drive a little, but it will be worth it.

Keep in mind that if you buy one out off state, there is a KY state form that had to be filled out and Notarize to get a title here.

I look for TW just about every day. If I can help just send a PM.

People have a funny way of listing their TW'S on CL. I have to search for TW200, TW 200, Tw200 and I have found the in the ATV section of CL.

My location is due south off US27 about 50-60 miles from you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks!

I am appreciating the posts! I will keep everything in mind while I continue my search. I tried to clip on a picture of the 2007 I plan on seeing this week! I am not sure if it worked or not but if it did let me know if you notice anything I should pay extra attention to!
IMG_6256.JPG IMG_6257.JPG

1 - 20 of 23 Posts