TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a long shot, but I have been looking for an xt225 motor for a while. I see them come and go on the bay. most of the time they don't sell before the auction ends. most of them are in the 5 to 7 hundred plus range including shipping. That seems ridiculous to me for a used small air cooled motor when you can buy a whole bike for not a lot more, but what do I know. I'm not even looking for one that runs necessarily as it will come all apart for a rebuild anyway. If anyone has an xt paper weight they are looking to unload or has any brilliant ideas I'm all ears. Thanks

·
Registered
814 Posts
I suggest: Buy a used xt225. Take what you want then part it out.

·
Registered
814 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
While you are at it, put the front end on the TW.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
think ive got a bead going. ill keep ya posted. I'm sure everyone knows whats gonna happen next

·
Registered
765 Posts
Agh! You guys are making me think again, quit! ;)

·
Registered
765 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
looking forward to getting this party started! been looking into high compression pistons too.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
atlanta craigslist in parts there is 225 motor for sale for $150
motor acquired and on my bench. this fella was the nicest guy. buck fifty shipped. no left cover, but I couldn't use it anyway. thanks for the tip

Reactions: doctorstupid

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
TTR225 engine

Is the TTR225 engine the same as the XT225? It is a 200 model I'm referring to. There is a TTR225 for sale locally in Wichita for 450 bucks.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I'm getting a little tired of my proof reader not catching my mistakes. It is a 2000 model TTR225 I'm referring to. The bike is about a 5 on a scale of 1 to 10. But it has a front disc brake and the engine has good compression. Soooooo, I'm thinking two birds with one stone. Maybe sell the extras.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I just creeped on craigslist and saw that. Looks like it would be a good parts donor. I believe the XT has a different stator to support lights and the dash will be different, otherwise thats the only difference. I would be interested in purchasing the stator if you do buy it, for say.... $40 plus shipping? I have a 03 TTR that needs a new one. I may be interested in other parts as well.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Thanks for the response Flyhunter. I thought about the engine upgrade, and front fork upgrade. My tw's are both pre 2000 so have drum brakes on the front. Thing is, my front brakes work okay, the rear brake is awful on the 1999 TW. I have new shoes for it, so we'll see how that does. I'll let you know if I pull the trigger.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
there are quite a few small differnectes between xt and ttr motors. same platforms, but DO RESEARCH!!!

ttr230 lost wide range gears 04 and on.
xts have nikasil coatings on some years
cam chain on some years of xts are different.
there are a few more

I bought an02 ttr to get wide range 6 speed and non lined cylinder, but in gonna use the tw electric system and have to bore the clutch cover for the kicker.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Thanks Vanilla, I think I am going to pass on the ttr. It's cheap enough, but it's also a bit beat up. Gamble could pay off, or not.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts