TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I ran it around the neighborhood. Ran pretty good. Forgot how much this little bike likes to pull the front wheel off the ground. Even with my fat ass on the seat.

But I parked her in the driveway for about 40 minutes and when I came back out there was a small puddle of gas under her. So I went ahead and ordered a carb kit. Should be here in a few days. With 30+ years on her I guess I can't complain about spending $20 on the carb. ;)

·
Super Moderator
17,650 Posts
So I ran it around the neighborhood. Ran pretty good. Forgot how much this little bike likes to pull the front wheel off the ground. Even with my fat ass on the seat.

But I parked her in the driveway for about 40 minutes and when I came back out there was a small puddle of gas under her. So I went ahead and ordered a carb kit. Should be here in a few days. With 30+ years on her I guess I can't complain about spending $20 on the carb. ;)
I used to have to continuously lay over the tank on mine or that front wheel would come right up! :p

·
Registered
339 Posts
You guys must have versions of the TW I’ve never seen. We recently acquired an ‘07 with only 582 miles on it and, I’d have to yank pretty darn hard on the bars if I wanted the front wheel to come up. I mean, the bike runs great, like a top but, it’s no wheelie machine for sure. At least mine ain’t.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
You guys must have versions of the TW I’ve never seen. We recently acquired an ‘07 with only 582 miles on it and, I’d have to yank pretty darn hard on the bars if I wanted the front wheel to come up. I mean, the bike runs great, like a top but, it’s no wheelie machine for sure. At least mine ain’t.
On my 1993 wheelies can be done but you have to compress the front forks, hit the throttle and come up on the fork rebound while working the clutch and throttle.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Getting ready to get her inspected. Took it around the neighborhood some more. Two issues. One I noticed last time I rode her. The trees aren't quite aligned. When I put the forks back on I didn't get 'em quite right. Easy enough. I'll just loosen the clamps and twist. The other is that the turn signals stopped working. Seems I'm taking two steps forward and one back every time I work on her.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So far this morning I have Refreshed the carb. New jets, float needle and seat, and adjust the float. Haven't got it out on the road yet, but she starts up and idles fine. Road it around the yard a bit. Seems to do well. Will know more when I get the turn signal issue sorted and can get her on the road. If only I had an up to date inspection sticker. ;)

·
Registered
507 Posts
The leaking gas was probably caused by the float sticking. If I were you I would check the oil level to see if it leaked enough to make it into the crank case. Some on this forum have experienced that and for some of those the outcome was not good.

Jim

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I had the carb apart the first time I made sure the float was free. Having pulled the seat out of the 30+ year old carb I suspect the gasket didn't like being disturbed. It didn't sit long with the leak. A small puddle on the ground. And yes, I checked the oil level. And will be changing it again soon anyways. Cheep insurance. But thanks for looking out for me. It is honestly appreciated.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorted the turn signal issues. And figured out something I think some would like to know. I'll start a thread in the thech section. But basically using LED turn signals has an issue caused by the indicator light.

So as it stands I'm not going to be attacking anything else until I get it inspected. After that I will be thinking about gearing and tires. Probably pull the swing arm over the winter lay up. Inspect and service the bearings as needed. Fresh coat of paint. Pretty things up a bit.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had some time this morning. So I took the old girl to get her state inspection. She passed!
I was a little concerned (just a little) that the non-DOT LED turn signals would be a problem.
But he was more concerned that the headlight wasn't working. You have to start her up.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Another short ride today. Speedo quit. Found myself a place to pull over and check it out. Shut her down and flip the stand down. As I was climbing off the old girl I noticed a BIG loop in the speedo cable. Seems it had come off the back of the speedometer. Looks like I didn't get it tightened down well enough when I put the front end back together. Quick fix and back on the road.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just ordered a 47 tooth sprocket and an o-ring chain and some bar risers. Wish I would have kept better records on what I've spent since starting this adventure. All these little things are adding up. But still, it is a good feeling to get this old girl back on the road,

1 - 20 of 20 Posts