TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
At times I get bored at work and have some spare time to tinker,
I keep my TW here so I can fab little parts at times,
I was waiting for a contractor to show and could not go anywhere,
So 5 min at a time I worked this old file with first a dry grinder then a wet stone grinder so I didnt need to harden the file,
This bugger is about 11.5" long and 1/4" thick.
Very sharp now that I got the chance to finsh the blade with a kitchen knife post,
Maybe Ill wrap the handle with some rope or some wood?
Or lexan possibly.
Ive made some smaller ones in the past year, But this is the largest one Ive made.
I call them
"Shank-n-file"

Heres some pics.
knife1.jpg knife2.jpg knife3.jpg
Peter B
Maybe find a place to mount it on the TW

Registered
My brother makes knives for fun. He made me a filet knife from a big bandsaw blade. Awesome. You, pred, have done a nice job so far. If you can find some old farrier's rasps, you can make bigger knives. MSWRC, I don't think it has to be hardened, as it was a file, which is already very hard steel. Unless of course, it got overheated in process. Someone smarter can correct me if I'm wrong.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
While you can cut the file with a torch or dry grinder,
You need to get past any area which was heated over about 400* with the wet stone and not make heat,
A file is brittle in its own right, It will not flex much before breaking, But it will hold an edge for a long time without sharpening,
Older files are hardened all the way thru and they are a LOT stronger than most files made in the past 20 years, The newer files are only hardened on the outside and those are crap,
I have a few smaller ones Ive made and they do come in handy,
I have hammered a smaller one deep into a hunk of 4x4 without any read distress to the file,
Its good to have something to do instead of like so many others, Staring lovingly into my smart phone!
Ive seen some beautiful file knives for sale on Ebay, But Ide prefer to make my own as I have old files and a chipped or worn out file at a flea market is about 25c, Great for a tool kit when you don't want to worry about a $100 knife which I don't own anyway,

If I were to want to harden after working the file I would have to heat evenly to cherry or bright red and quench in a bucket of engine oil, Which I prefer not to do,
I rough cut with a torch if needed, Grind close with big bench grinder dipping file into water several times a minute,
Then work with the wet grinder slowly without jigs until I like what I see,
Trick is,
Enjoy what you do ! !
Peter B

Registered
I made mine from a really old file. My kids found a box of them at a garage sale one time and the guy told them to take them. About 30 plus files of different sizes, all of which aren't much use as a file anymore. The blade I made is actually pretty "strong", as I use it now to make kindling. Just lay the blade across the wood and hammer with another piece of wood. Quite durable that way, and you are right about the edge holding. The tip though is another thing perhaps I tapered it too much. If I were to thrust it into a hard piece of wood, the way I think you are describing, and twist, it would snap.

I have a lot of woodworking tools, but not much in the way of metal working. No torches, no welder, nothing but saws and grinders.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts