TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been looking at the CSC offerings. Dual sport or a cafe racer for $2400 shipped and the RX3. Really liking the RX3, but I was getting the bug for an around-town 250 that could handle short stints on the highway and maybe even a gravel road or two. The SG250 looked great, but that 68mph top speed and super small size (26" seat height and a 50" wheelbase) put me off a bit. And then... I found the SSR Buccaneer. It's designed by Italjet, and sold as an Italjet in europe. Here, it's sold as an SSR. It's got a 19hp clone of the 250cc V-twin Virago mill, and has an 83mph top speed in perfect conditions. (Full tuck, tailwind, downhill). That equates to a sustainable 75mph on a straight and level road, and 71mph on an extended uphill grade. That's WAY better than the TW200 for the street. It's not as smooth and powerful as a ninja 250 by any stretch, but it's a really nice looking machine that has a lot of ground clearance and even comes with a belly pan, headlight guard, and dual sport (ish) tires.

2017-SSR-Buccaneer-Cafe-250i0704-633x421.jpg

I really like the look of this, and I want one pretty badly. It looks like a motorcycle should look. I've viewed a bunch of videos on youtube, and it goes pretty well and sounds really good. It's a capable street bike that could dabble on some dirt, and look really good doing it. It's not TW-capable off-road, but to be honest I almost never road my TW off-road. I commuted on it 99.8% of the time.

Another thing... it has a 4.5 gallon tank!! 280 miles before reserve assuming 70mpg.

I'm going to see one this weekend, I think...

Charles.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Didn’t spend that much time on it as I was looking for something else. IIRC the price point seemed reasonable. But is a cool looking bike. Interesting to see a 250 in a V-twin. I did go home and research SSR some as the dealer seemed to have their whole line.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I always dug the 2 fiddy twin. Wished it could be fitted with a kicker though for oldschool credibility, and y'know, when there's no electricity. I'm not crazy about some of the bodywork there but other bits look pretty slick. I bet it's a hoot.

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
Some of these off brand bikes sure do look nice but I always am concerned about the parts availability network when something breaks. One of the most frustrating issues I have with all these machines from motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and even lawn equipment is being down and out while waiting for parts or being told the damn part does not exist. I am in this right now with my BW350 and Yamaha quit making one of the sprockets and no other company makes it either. A simple $15 sprocket that is nonexistent ends up costing major money because you have to change all sorts of gearing options to make it go. I blame Yamaha but they just don't give a rats ass about keeping the parts available. I doubt these new companies will either and some of the China brands could be here today under one brand and gone tomorrow or under some other brand name. The mystique about these TWs is in their longevity and the fact that very little has changed for over 30 years of production.

GaryL

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, SSR has a warehouse in california that they've stocked with parts for all bikes, so any part for any bike is available in less than a week. CSC has done the same with their lineup, bragging that they have the parts to assemble several complete motorcycles for each model they sell. Every nut, every bolt, every one-off or weird part, they have it.

This SSR has a Virago motor, so I'm thinking most engine parts can be retro-fitted with genuine yamaha. The EFI is off-the-shelf stuff and even the speedo is an aftermarket unit you can buy on eBay. These bikes have a proven track record in countries with terrible infrastructure and poor maintenance practices. SSR has the dealer network for repairs, and CSC will bend over backwards to help you DIY your repairs, or will coordinate with a local shop to repair your bike. I'm not scared of these Chinese bikes anymore. 5 years ago I would have been, but today? No. The parts availability is there, the knowledge is on the Internet, and the reliability is there now too.

Charles.

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
Good to hear CC, My only dealing with this off branded stuff was back well over 5 years ago and not positive. Not real positive with some of the older Yamaha and Honda stuff either so I guess it is a wash. I do maintain a rather negative attitude and particularly with Chinese battery tools. For the most part when the battery goes you might as well just toss the entire tool, charger and old battery because a new battery if it can even be found is more than a new drill kit. DeWalt and Ryobi are culprits with this crap.

GaryL

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
The 250 Virago may technically on paper have more power than the Tw200, but in reality it feels painfully slow. Having daily ridden the TW for a few years, I'm used to almost no power, but that Virago was something else. I couldn't wait to get off that thing.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Pretty sure. It's based on the first gen Virago 250 mill. Your photo is an XV535 I think, not the XV250. The chrome valve covers on the Virago are actually just pretty covers. You can really tell it's the same motor if you look at it from the left side.

s-l1600.jpg

vs

6000000001.jpg

Charles.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Good to hear CC, My only dealing with this off branded stuff was back well over 5 years ago and not positive. Not real positive with some of the older Yamaha and Honda stuff either so I guess it is a wash. I do maintain a rather negative attitude and particularly with Chinese battery tools. For the most part when the battery goes you might as well just toss the entire tool, charger and old battery because a new battery if it can even be found is more than a new drill kit. DeWalt and Ryobi are culprits with this crap.

GaryL
Our first major disagreement! Ryobi has bent over backwards to make sure they have taken great care of people who have invested in their battery powered tools! It has been nearly 15 years since they introduced their 18 volt lithium cordless tools and every single one of them are compatible with their newest batteries and even their old NiCad batteries.

Even better....... if you shop around you can get two of their 4ah 18volt lithium batteries for $99. These are high capacity VERY high quality batteries too. I use these tools every day for some very demanding work and couldn't be happier.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
Our first major disagreement! Ryobi has bent over backwards to make sure they have taken great care of people who have invested in their battery powered tools! It has been nearly 15 years since they introduced their 18 volt lithium cordless tools and every single one of them are compatible with their newest batteries and even their old NiCad batteries.

Even better....... if you shop around you can get two of their 4ah 18volt lithium batteries for $99. These are high capacity VERY high quality batteries too. I use these tools every day for some very demanding work and couldn't be happier.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I have not purchased a DeWalt or Ryobi tool in almost 10 years and the batteries I did get with them were not LI but NiCad. The tools themselves were fine but those batteries sucked and when the LI batteries came out I could not use them in my older NiCad tools or even charge them with my old chargers. I am sure you know what you are saying but believe me Tom, I had a 4 tool Ryobi kit and four DeWalt drills and chargers all over the place at various job sites and tossed every one of them out when the big switch to LI came along. Now I use Rigid and Milwaukee and won't look back.

GaryL

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I saw one in the flesh over the weekend, and the fit and finish is superb! The turn signals are the only demerit, as they're obviously chromed plastic and don't look that great... but they're also really REALLY bright LED signals, so it's rather a wash. I like everything about the bike, front to back it's even more stunning in person than in pics. And it fits me like a real motorcycle. It's not a half-sized machine. I'm probably going to buy one.

Charles.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm curious too! I bought it but haven't had a chance to pick it up yet! It's 45 minutes away and finding a day with good weather on which my girlfriend is willing to wake up at the arse crack of dawn to drive me out there is a hard thing to find. It's been low 40s and rainy all week. But it'll be mid 50s and sunny thursday, so that's what I'm shooting for.

Charles.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts