TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today's ride report...

My buddy was supposed to come over from Portland for a couple days to prep ride for July. Then he got the sniffles and pussed out at the last minute. So I decided I'd just do the shakedown ride alone. Today's objective was to simply ride a full day with a week's worth of gear to see how many miles I would realistically cover and test the bike and gear under full pack mule load conditions. I would run a mix of asphalt, gravel road, decent 2-track, and rough 2-track -- just like we will in July.

I've traditionally been a paper map guy but I'm auditioning OnX Offroad. Truthfully, I'm running pretty fast and loose with it. I downloaded it last night, then this morning I just started dropping pins. I had no set route but I'm somewhat familiar with 70% of what I covered today so I put my trust in technology. My wife was super unimpressed with my plan to ride solo.

Well, it started off pretty awesome and I made decent time.

Between Leslie Gulch boat ramp and Fisherman's Road I got violated by a surprise trench across the road. I didn't have time to slow down or go around. All I could do was brace myself and try not to crash. Me and my trusty TW did okay but every single Chinesium rivet on both saddlebags sheared off and they tumbled to rest behind me. Luckily I had enough straps and tow rope with me to anchor them to the bike. This was mile 67 and I needed to stop every 10 miles or so after to reconfigure or tighten straps.

I made it to Fisherman's Road and rode down to the lake then proceeded to the dam.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I ran to the Owyhee store for a delicious gas station burrito then hit Tunnel Canyon.

If I can locate the front half to this Model A, I'm coming back for this thing.

I don't completely trust OnX yet. I made a few side spurs that ended up going nowhere. There was one that maybe used to be a road but I eventually ended up just following a cattle trail. It did eventually get me to a real road though.

On my way back though Succor Creek I nailed a couple big rocks. One bent my shifter forward and the other bent my left peg mount back. Made for some interesting shifts. About 10 miles from home I came to a water crossing I did about 3 years ago. It was deep and I stalled out. Since I'm 3 years wiser now, I bypassed that and found another that looked to be only about 8" deep. Well, the water was, but the silt on the bottom was another 12" deep. I ended up knee deep in sludge and high centered on a rock but managed to climb out the other side.
I found this if any of you guys are interested.

Last landmark I passed on the way back to the barn was the Poison Creek stage stop. I fear this building probably won't be around much longer.

And here's where it all settled out.

The TW200 might just be the toughest bike ever made. I averaged 58mpg under varying conditions. It took way more abuse than it deserved. It was well beyond a reasonable weight yet ran perfect and took everything the day threw at it. It kept me safe all day long for less than $10 and begged for more.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What a ride and a day. You went 202 miles? That is one long run. Bet you feel it tomorrow! BTW, nice find on the cars.
I'm in for Thursday.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You're really gonna like that Clarke tank. I didn't hit reserve until 189 miles.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm going to conservatively aim for 220 total. When I topped off at @200 it took 3.4 gallons.

·
Registered
13,742 Posts

The TW200 might just be the toughest bike ever made. I averaged 58mpg under varying conditions. It took way more abuse than it deserved. It was well beyond a reasonable weight yet ran perfect and took everything the day threw at it. It kept me safe all day long for less than $10 and begged for more.
I love the idea of riding a multi-day BDR. Problem is, the TW is just a wee too small to tow my toyhauler. The older I gets the more comfortable my quarters need to be. Maybe one night on the ground. I did spend one night out a few years ago but we kept riding instead of sleeping.

I was on that "road" going the opposite direction of you earlier this year. It can be a shortcut of sorts. The moo-cows have taken over for sure.

I've never seen the old car. Good find. Did you get close enough to see if Jimmy Hoffa is in the back?

There has to be more to OnX that what the trial version allows us to use. I was unimpressed with it but open-minded enough to know I'm missing something in the trial version of the app. There are a lot of good apps but it just depends on what features of an app are needed for your intended use.

Good shake-down cruise. Good thing you broke stuff on a test run rather than the real deal.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That surprise hole was no joke. The sun was in the perfect position to cast no shadow so it was tough to see until I was fully experiencing it. I'm really lucky that I didn't get tossed or break the TW.
I think I had reasonable expectations for the saddlebags. They were intended to bicycle touring not rock hopping. I had somewhat expected to break the plastic mount hooks but didn't consider the rivets. That's why I had the supplemental straps, to keep them from bouncing so much. I'll replace the cheesy rivets with through bolts and big washers and I think they'll fight another day.

I'm sure OnX works better than how I used it. I did hope it would be a little more intuitive. Guess I'll have to do some homework to see how/if it can be used to preset a route map.
I played with Avenza just a little bit but had similar experience. Between the two, I prefer OnX based on my limited experience. I may just pay for the subscription and see if it unlocks more secrets of the universe.

·
Registered
13,742 Posts
I think the main secret to Avenza is a pdf map to download and use like the Murphy North & South Maps of the Silver City area. A BLM pdf of the paper map was what I was using the other day. I did pay for the NatGeo maps of Moab I was going to use this past month for Avenza which previously I used the paper maps in conjunction with downloaded gps tracks on the gps.

I should see if there is a bunch of tutorials on YouTube of OnX to see if it's better than GaiaGPS which I use a lot. I used the lower-tier paid version of Gaia. A premium version would open access to more maps like NatGeo maps and property owner stuff like oldworld124 see's on his OnX. Normally, if I trespass I want to do it out of ignorance and not know I'm trespassing ahead of time. haha.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think he uses OnX Hunt, which has different features than Offroad. I'll be hitting YouTube as well. I will say that I like the track feature. What I didn't like was that it disappeared if I was doubling back on a section I'd already traveled so it was pretty easy to miss a turn. I just need to go to school on it.

Reactions: admiral
1 - 18 of 18 Posts