TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, thank you for reading! I am picking up my first TW200 this week and I'd like to put on some great big foot pegs, a real solid front skid plate, decent hand guards as well as a few other things. What do you all recommend for those three things?
Also are there any other must do upgrades?
How are the handlebars? I'm a heavy guy I don't want to bend them.

Thank you in advance for your help!!!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Welcome aboard! I use the Tusk brand handguards. They have taken quite a few tough spills on solid rock and held up to the abuse so far. I'm not sure you'll have any problems bending the handlebars, but you might want to look into different bars for comfort purposes. I switched to the Pro-Taper SE ATV High bars and I'm very glad I did. I'm rather short, and the stock handlebars made it uncomfortable for me to stand and ride because I had to lean so far forward. A member here, nihil, made an absolutely wonderful TW200 handlebar simulator that I found extremely helpful. But make sure you put some miles on the bike first and foremost!

::: tw200.org - Handlebar Simulator :::

·
Registered
598 Posts
The stock handlebars will be fine, but as reddave mentioned, you may like the feel of others, better.
I like the Tusk handgauards, too. They're affordable and can take the abuse you'll give them.
Any wide pegs will work. You don't need to spend a lot of money on these.
I don't have one on my bike, but everyone likes the Ricochet skid plate.

If you're a big guy, you may eventually want to upgrade your suspension. I'd ride it a while before making that decision.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys, thank you for reading! I am picking up my first TW200 this week and I'd like to put on some great big foot pegs, a real solid front skid plate, decent hand guards as well as a few other things. What do you all recommend for those three things?

If you’re a heavy guy, you’ll definitely want to beef up the front springs... procycle, really simple to do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lots of putting around on hilly dirt roads, some mild hilly trails, lots of laps around the yard by my jealous friends lol

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
lots of laps around the yard by my jealous friends lol
hand/brush guards will keep your clutch and brake levers intact when your jealous friends drop the bike.

Reactions: reddave

·
Registered
682 Posts
Just ordered the Ricochet plate, figured that would be the best place to start.
That is surely a good start! I wasn't sure I need a Ricochet plate at first, as I never seemed to knock the skid plate on anything - even through some very tough terrain. Well, then it happened once - and I ordered a Ricochet plate immediately. Not even a year later and it looks like it's been hit with buckshot!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Ok..maybe just Birdshot - but you see what I mean?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Reactions: oldworld 124

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:I like the ones that have mirrors that fold inside them for trail riding, but don't know if I can justify the $120+ price tag. Looking at a few make by Tusk, but I'm not sure what set I like best.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok..maybe just Birdshot - but you see what I mean?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I'm glad I didn't order the black, almost did. The natural color should hide the pitting.....but it shouldn't be doing that in the first place!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome aboard! I use the Tusk brand handguards. They have taken quite a few tough spills on solid rock and held up to the abuse so far. I'm not sure you'll have any problems bending the handlebars, but you might want to look into different bars for comfort purposes. I switched to the Pro-Taper SE ATV High bars and I'm very glad I did. I'm rather short, and the stock handlebars made it uncomfortable for me to stand and ride because I had to lean so far forward. A member here, nihil, made an absolutely wonderful TW200 handlebar simulator that I found extremely helpful. But make sure you put some miles on the bike first and foremost!

::: tw200.org - Handlebar Simulator :::
Thinking about doing the same bars as you, I'm 5'9'' but my wingspan is only about 5'5'' so taller would be nice especially for standing riding through trails.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I'm glad I didn't order the black, almost did. The natural color should hide the pitting.....but it shouldn't be doing that in the first place!!
I actually chose the black anodized with the idea of "showing some scars" on the bike. I ride mostly jeep trails that are extremely rough and rocky - not ideal conditions for maintaining a show bike, brother! I am a towering 5'6" and find the ATV High bars work well without additional risers on the bike. I wouldn't mind trying some out eventually.

·
Registered
5 Posts

The stock seat is lethal. I weigh 250 lbs and am a 65 year old rider, and riding on the stock was no good. I went with a seat concepts aftermarket seat. Which made a world of difference. I ordered the tall version thinking the extra height would pad more, a mistake I should have ordered the stock height. I am 5'10" and can put both feet flat on the pavement but its an uncomfortable stretch. The seat is firm with not much crush but comfortable. 40 mile rides off road rides no problem. You can specify a denser foam if needed. I would talk to them when placing an order. I also went with the tougher covering (Kevlar?). I used a pneumatic stapler and arrow brand stainless steel staples. Installing was easy.I will set you back around $200 but was worth it. Anyone need to buy a stock seat cover and foam only had 100 street miles on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The stock seat is lethal. I weigh 250 lbs and am a 65 year old rider, and riding on the stock was no good. I went with a seat concepts aftermarket seat. Which made a world of difference. I ordered the tall version thinking the extra height would pad more, a mistake I should have ordered the stock height. I am 5'10" and can put both feet flat on the pavement but its an uncomfortable stretch. The seat is firm with not much crush but comfortable. 40 mile rides off road rides no problem. You can specify a denser foam if needed. I would talk to them when placing an order. I also went with the tougher covering (Kevlar?). I used a pneumatic stapler and arrow brand stainless steel staples. Installing was easy.I will set you back around $200 but was worth it. Anyone need to buy a stock seat cover and foam only had 100 street miles on it. The stock bars are fine just put on a 2" riser and tusk "Hoop" style brush brush guards.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Just my $0.11 (inflation). I've put a beating on my Barkbusters and they've got a customer for life if they keep making them as beefy as they do. +1 for the Ricochet skid plate but rumor is some sound dampening is a good thing. I'm liking my IMS foot pegs quite a bit, and have settled on the Doubletake mirrors after having tried a few different and much cheaper options.

As a larger gent myself, the Procycle heavy spring+emulators in the front and heavy spring in the rear have really transformed how the bike handles. And for handlebars, that's really going to be a personal preference thing. As @reddave mentioned I cobbled together a handlebar simulator that can be helpful in choosing, and if you find some bars that you'd like to try out that aren't on the list, send me the dimensions from the charts at the bottom and I can add them easily enough. If you'd like to see what a set of Renthal Fatbar CR High looks like with a set of Rox offset risers, you can load up the 3D TW viewer I did for my bike (give it a minute to load, it's a large model, and don't mind the blank spots/holes, black and shiny things don't scan well with photogrammetry).

Ultimately though, as someone mentioned above, put some miles on it before you start making changes. That will give you an idea of what direction you want to go and when. It will also help put any modifications you make into perspective rather than just shotgunning parts at it and hoping for the best.

Good luck and enjoy one of the best little bikes around.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts