TW200 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Looking for opinions;
I'm in the market for a rototiller for a large garden, about half an acre. I saw this one local to me;

Honda-powered rototiller - - Troybilt

Does it look like a good buy? I've got a compactor that uses the same Honda motor that runs like.. a Honda. Great motor! Do you think it's worth his asking price? Is it worth anything at all or is it junk?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Troybuilt used to be the best rear tine tiller available. Honda engines are at the top of the heap for lawn care. Half an acre is a lot to till. You might want a garden tractor with tiller attached. When are you going to plant this garden, August? I'm in Kansas, and a garden here should have been in the ground in late April, but CA climate might just be good year round. Have fun, and leave lots of space between plants so you can rototill and NOT pull weeds. Don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
20,157 Posts
That Troybuilt was excellent when new, is looking it's age now. New Honda motor seems good but check wear on tines, function of couches and gear selectors, ground spade, etc as new parts or repair can really add to the $300 price. It is a good size for 1/2 acre and occasional use.
Used to do fire control weed abatement jobs with all sizes of tillers from small walk behinds to PTO Kabota tractor rigs. All can cause a lot of damage in a hurry. The Troybuilt will be good at finding rocks and roots and then trying to break your wrist while leaping into fences and out buildings. However my specialty was finding water mains late on Friday afternoons with the Kabota.:( th.jpeg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts