TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was in a new arroyo near the base of the mountains about 50 yards from the bike, walking head down scouting for yard rocks and up popped the cutest little fellow from under a juniper tree. He was so small, I first tried to id him as a small fox or coyote, but logic prevailed and said it was a black bear cup (fuzzy and brown though). He responded to me and drifted up a side of the arroyo and I thinking of mom and not knowing where she was, drifted back toward the bike and to the top of the slope so I could see further. The trail where I was is sufficiently rough that I'm dubious whether even the TW could have outrun the moma bear. No camera so no photos, but it was pretty cool and exciting at the same time. Its real dry now and I'm betting the bears are coming down from the pine forests to get into the cactus fruits that are just maturing. When they are eating prickly pear fruits (bright red) you find these huge loose pools of pinkish red stools - it must give them the bear trots. There will be acorns later in the summer, but cactus fruits or grasshoppers are the only logical food in the area at present.

I never saw mom but did watch the little one trundle across from one arroyo to another before I went to yet another arroyo for rock collecting. Just thought I'd share my good fortune. Tom

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey Tom! Thanks for sharing it. Glad you didn't have to outrun any Mama bear! And..glad that neither did we. My wife and I were hiking yesterday on a great dirt riding trail in Crested Butte, CO (Double Top Trail / Walrod) and saw a large black/brown bear 20 yards in front of us, drinking from the stream. He just slowly moseyed off up the mountainside.

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
Nice story Tom. Glad you got out of the area safe and sound. Seems like many times, my best camera opportunities are when I don't have the camera. Still, I can imagine what it was like with your discription. I think if mama bear showed up and was a little irritated, you could always pull the TW on top of you for protection. Maybe! For many years I thought it would be no problem for me to outrun a bear, if caught in that predicament. Then I saw one in real life run away from me. I changed my thinking. I ain't out runn'in a bear unless it has one leg, and even then...

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
I am surprised at how many bears, or indications of bears I have seen. My rides generally start five to ten miles from the house. I see prints, dropping and from time to time, the whole critter. Gerry

·
Registered
99 Posts
Nice story Tom. Glad you got out of the area safe and sound. Seems like many times, my best camera opportunities are when I don't have the camera. Still, I can imagine what it was like with your discription. I think if mama bear showed up and was a little irritated, you could always pull the TW on top of you for protection. Maybe! For many years I thought it would be no problem for me to outrun a bear, if caught in that predicament. Then I saw one in real life run away from me. I changed my thinking. I ain't out runn'in a bear unless it has one leg, and even then...
Hey Admiral,

I keep a cheap disposal flash camera tethered behind my cowling for just that reason. I've broken several good cameras, run over or stepped on my camera phones, or just lost the camera bouncing around. Discovered the local drugstore will turn the disposable box camera into a high quality CD for about $3.50. I run a wire tie through the cardboard, and clip on a lanyard. Since the view finders are basic junk, you simply use them to aim with. If you lose the camera, you really ain't out much.

Guns and cameras use the same logic. Always better to have one with you and not need it, than to NOT have one when you need one!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
So Tom, you have bear charisma? Nice if you can turn it off when tent camping . . .

BMc, good idea.

My Wonderful Wife has a small digital camera about the size of a deck of cards, great pics and even video. . . thinking about picking up one for me so I don't have to haul the Canon everywhere.

Bag

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Very cool!

Last night the wife and I were on a short ride about 5 miles from the house when we got to watch a spectacular show put on by a couple of beavers, one very large and one quite small. The wildlife is out and moving, and they sure don't mind the sound of my TW200

·
Registered
99 Posts
So Tom, you have bear charisma? Nice if you can turn it off when tent camping . . .

BMc, good idea.

My Wonderful Wife has a small digital camera about the size of a deck of cards, great pics and even video. . . thinking about picking up one for me so I don't have to haul the Canon everywhere.

Bag
My MP3 player does photos and video, but like my bigger dedicated cameras, isn't always with me, usually stuffed in a pocket or pouch for safety. I relied on my camera phone, until I found it under my boot. I dropped a disposable at 55 on the pavement so it was pretty roughed up when I found it. Surprise, but it worked just fine and the pictures turned out fine. I finally gave up on big cameras when my Rebel actually bashed me in the face shield in the middle of a rough stretch.

·
Registered
13,239 Posts
BuddyMc, after reading about your disposable camera idea, it got me thinking about an old digital I had stuffed away in a box. Drug it out, put a sock around it, and stuffed it into my tank bags. Now I'll have a camera (most of the times) when riding. Your idea reminded me so thanks.

Now, I'll have a camera to capture the Bear moments. Of course with a camera at the ready, I'll most likely not see bears while out riding anymore. That's my luck!

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Came across this critter about 5 years ago. I think Saskia and I were in the Baja Bug, but still feeling pretty exposed without a roof and doors. Gerry

·
Registered
116 Posts
I live on Vancouver Island, just north of washington state in Canada.. we have more than a handful of healthy bears living in the ranges that run the length of the island.

My first bike was a 1987 Honda cbr125t (motorcycle training bike, immaculately maintained but dropped like a hammer for 20 years) The old girl was quieter than the mule, which was exciting to say the least. Most of the bears are used to loud atv's and brappers smashing along the trails, not 4 stroke street bikes

Riding alongside bears is scary and amazing

I thank the stars everyday that those bears were well fed and scared shitless, i could have literally reached over and touched the slowest of four beautiful black bears making a run for the border. it seemed like forever, but im sure it was only a couple seconds before i hit the brakes and let my buddy ride past on his ktm250 who promplty planted a leg and spun it like a blender.. by that time the bears were long gone, and my buddies gf (who was passenger behind me) unsheathed her fingernails from my stomach.

The TW is a bit louder than the old girl, but when im purring along in 5th its like a safari up here

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Gerry, That's a pretty good pic of a bear. The Tw is pretty quiet and one of the reasons I don't want to go to aftermarket exhaust is I like sneaking up on wildlife. I came up on what I thought was a large wolf about a year ago with my tw but may have been big dog or very large coyote (I later learned there are no wolves in CA). While riding the local creek I've come up on a few bobcats and a mountain lion. Riding in Forresthill OHV I saw a bear run across the path in front of me. They have all been way too quick for me to even think of pulling out my camera. Jealous of your bear shot....lol.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Thanks Mike. I am surprised at how many I have come across. Kind of scary when you're riding real slow on some logging road and you hear whats sounds to be a big critter crashing through the woods. It's hard to figure out where the furry bugger is going to show itself.. Saw the hind end of a Bobcat once. A Mt. Lion, yikesss. Gerry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts