765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode it for about an hour and immediately was leaking when I parked it. :(
Any Ideas?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I didn't realize some were out of focus until I posted them. Oh well. The swingarm has oil just sitting there on top. The kick starter I think is just gunk from other stuff. It looks to be coming from the middle of the case. I really don't know. All of the fluids are darker in person.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I'm with Borneo on this one, clean the engine up really good and then see where the oil shows up. after it is clean don't run it to long before checking for the leak. You will want to see before to much oil gets on things again.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is what I was thinking of doing. A bit late tonight though. I just hope its not coming from the cylinder head. That would explain a drenched swingarm.

·
Registered
567 Posts
My best guess is shift shaft seal given the age. If it doesn't look to be the culprit then be prepared to go in for the countershaft seals on both sides of the sprocket. Pray it's not a crack.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My best guess is shift shaft seal given the age. If it doesn't look to be the culprit then be prepared to go in for the countershaft seals on both sides of the sprocket. Pray it's not a crack.
That area is pretty dry as of now. It looks to be coming from higher up. I will just have to clean it up and see. Part of the exhaust had oil splashed on it too. Close to the the gasket they meet at.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
I'll bump you up tce. Get it cleaned off and find the leak. These guys here are good, but you need to provide them with precise information if you can. That makes everything go smoother.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I get a couple drips of oil after each ride on the garage floor. Went through all of the above possibilities and after wiping all the possible seams and gaskets totally dry and allowing it to sit over night I came out to find another drip but all seams were totally dry. My drips come off the very bottom rear of the chain seal guide. While tipped sideways on the stand the lowest point is the chain seal guide. All I can come up with is either lubrication oil from the chain or the grease in the swing arm causes a drip or two after getting warmed up from riding and it ends up on my garage floor. It is of no consequence at all and I gave up concerning myself with it once I realized that both of my TWs do it and both have just had new chains, new sprockets, new side cover gaskets, all three shaft seals and the 88 got a brand new chain seal guide.
There is a bearing and seal in the side cover, think it is named the outer bearing and seal. The shaft lubricates that bearing through the hole in the center. Any oil left in the side cover outer bearing cavity will eventually seek a way out and the path is along the shaft and then down the front sprocket to the chain and then it finally drips on to the floor.

Go for a ride and place a piece of cardboard right under the kick stand and between the chain guide.

GaryL

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its a blown basket. Cylinder head. I'm going to do a top end rebuild.

Sent from Android for Nook Tablet using Taptalk

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hahaha I just saw that! Yep gasket.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wait a second! The head bolts were out of spec by about half a turn or more! Also the oil fill cap o ring ( mouth full ) Is leaking. I may hit the trails this weekend! Took it around the block a couple of times before I came inside and seems to be okay. Time will tell

·
Registered
139 Posts
Forum Wisdom sometime past was to clean up well and put talcum power on it. I recently got mine out of storage where it had been put away with a bit of a drip. I figured it was time to get it fixed, before getting on it and bonding to it so I couldn't stop riding to fix it. I figured out it was the cylinder base gasket (again) and prepared to get into it, but re-torquing with the hex wrench from the kit seems to have done it. I am wondering if this is your issue. Check to see if your outer cylinder is dry above the base and oily below, as riding will cause it to blow down and drip off lots of projections and joints below. I was told high speed driving causes leaks, and I was trying to keep up with a friend on a bigger bike when it started.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts