TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to buy my first moto jacket and wanted to get some opinions from the forum. I am also a hunter and backpacker, and dont really want 4-5 jackets hanging around. Are there any jackets anyone knows about that would serve a good multi-purpose function? Or would I be better off just buying one for hunting/backpacking and wearing armor underneath? Something water resistant/windproof. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Since I hunt, backpack, and ride, my initial response was "you gotta be kidding, I need ten different jackets and coats just to cover my various hunting activities" but I'll can that. You ask a tough question, not because it can't be answered, but because there isn't any information.

What kind of hunting and in what kind of weather?

What type of backpacking, in what terrain, in what weather? And I think here I would want to know for how long. Longer trips require lighter gear to accommodate necessary additional equipment and food.

What type of riding, in what terrain, and in what kind of weather?

·
Registered
20,369 Posts
Good question. I doubt a good Enduro jacket would be a good choice for hunting and hiking, nor re-purposing a hunting coat for use over armor as the armor is rather bulky necessitating a larger size coat.
I have a mesh summer armor that I purchased an extra large shell to fit over.
Just as no single coat does it all for hunting or backpackin you may find you want a variety of riding jackets too. Specialized gear is better in the long run.

·
Registered
470 Posts
If I had to have only one jacket for riding it would be this one (the one I wear daily). I'm comfortable in it up to about 88 degrees and down into the 30s with the appropriate fleece underneath. Absolutely waterproof with the vents closed. Body armor in all the right places. I have a mesh jacket I use for local rides when it's over 90F out.

It would suck for hiking because it's heavy, and it would suck for hunting do to movement restriction. On a bike though, it is a joy.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
But if it was Highlander time, and there could be only one...for riding that is, then I want my long owned, hammered up Vanson Ace jacket and pants they no longer even make.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I need to get one actually. I think I will go with a flight jacket though.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415057204.408079.jpg
And maybe some RHOK jeans with Kevlar
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415057450.591297.jpg

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Do yourself a favor, skip the leather and get a moto specific riding jacket that fits your climate and riding style. Save the leather for your casual wear jacket.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
When it comes to flight jackets I prefer the leather MA-1 myself. But for pure badarse, un-armored style points I give the nod to the Schott Perfecto 585, in brown. Pass me an unfiltered Lucky Strike and a shot of hooch, will ya?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
This is not what I do. I have a Firstgear Kilimanjaro (I think) and a short mesh jacket for hot weather.
But what I have been considering for the most versatility while still packing small would be to use something like this for a shell: I have one of these for backpacking that I bought before going to Iceland...as in rains all the time...it's awesome for protection from the weather. Goretex Pro.
Theta AR Jacket / Men's / Shell Jackets / Insulated Jackets / Pants / Mid Layer and Fleece / Base Layer / Shirts and Tops / Shorts / Arc'teryx / Arc'teryx

Theta-AR-Jacket-Black.png

Under that, a down sweater, a windshirt, a tee and a turtleneck, and mesh bodyarmor. Be ready for any conditions.
I have the black one. Hunting season I throw an orange vest over it.

·
Registered
20,369 Posts
All good options, which is best kinda depends on the answer to Post Numero Dos:
"What type of riding, in what terrain, and in what kind of weather?"
For all we know a Bomber Jacket would suit his needs most of the time while really reeling in the girls in town while providing some off road protection. His TW, the Trail King , plus a bomber jacket might make a combo
irresistible to all females.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Right on Fred. Actors are important, but you can't make a move without props and costumes. Life is like a movie. My old A-2 is an Avirex (name is still around but it ain't the old company of yore). U.S. Wings has some nice U.S.A. made models. Style on tce, I'm in your corner. Sewn in blood chit and escape map is a sweet touch. :D

·
Registered
20,369 Posts
I'm not surprised Borneo has an escape map considering what a Steve McQueen fan he is. Why I would feel a bit like a poser I kinda like the AVG Flying Tiger look th-9.jpeg

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
It's all in how you wear it Fred. Feel like a poser...are a poser. Feel like a man...look like a man. The confidence quotient cannot be discounted. I'd say get one...if it wasn't for the price of that rig...sheesh.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
IMO try to find a brick and mortar store. I'm 5'7" and motor cycle clothing has to fit well so the internal pads line up with your elbows. I found my 3 season jacket at Cycle Gear. It's not perfect but it was the best I could do. I found that all the jacket selves are long for my body type. I'm big on Hi-Viz.

·
Registered
765 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
IMO try to find a brick and mortar store. I'm 5'7" and motor cycle clothing has to fit well so the internal pads line up with your elbows. I found my 3 season jacket at Cycle Gear. It's not perfect but it was the best I could do. I found that all the jacket selves are long for my body type. I'm big on Hi-Viz.
I've got relatively short legs for someone my height, and I have a hell of a time finding riding pants that fit. I took a set of leather riding pants to a serious alterations shop (they make racing suits for Indy car drivers) and had them altered. This wasn't simple work either. Best single $50 I've spent on gear.

My point is, if you find something you like, don't dismiss alteration to make it fit.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I've got relatively short legs for someone my height, and I have a hell of a time finding riding pants that fit. I took a set of leather riding pants to a serious alterations shop (they make racing suits for Indy car drivers) and had them altered. This wasn't simple work either. Best single $50 I've spent on gear.

My point is, if you find something you like, don't dismiss alteration to make it fit.
I'm with you all the pants I have tried on don't fit. The knee pads turn out to be shin guards. I thought about getting them altered but all the shops around here aren't up to the task.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts