TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this is a very overdue post on the plans to upgrade my TW. Long story short, I had a generous tax return in 2015 and ended up buying an unsold 2014 from a dealer for a really good price. Then I found this site. I should really thank all of you guys for inspiring me to customize and modify my bike, but part of me says I should also be cursing you all for getting on to this expensive journey known as the TW200. Seriously though, I can’t blame my weakness on you guys – besides, my father warned me the cheapest part of owning a vehicle was buying it. Boy, he wasn’t kidding!

So to date, my upgrades have been simple and, for the most part, ones that I have been capable of doing myself. The bike now sports a high-mount front fender, JNS headlight, LED lighting, Seat Concepts seat, Manracks rear cargo rack, KOSO tach, USB power outlet, Quad Lock phone mount, Clarke tank, 2” risers, Shorai battery, wide foot pegs, Shinko 241 front tire, Ride On sealant/balance fluid, Lizrdbrth oil cooler (via Mekdad), a 47-tooth rear sprocket, and the idle screw turned out 2.5 turns. Bought but not yet installed includes Tusk handguards, shorty levers, WebCam 340a camshaft and springs, and auxiliary LED driving lights. Did I mention the bit about the cheapest part about owning a vehicle?

So, I decided to do some more involved performance-oriented upgrades. Yes, I know this bike will never be a speed demon or a true MX bike – no issues as I drive on secondary paved roads and “dirt roads” and cart tracks for the most part. No, this was mostly driven by the need to move my 230lb carcass around with a little more alacrity. In what turned out to be Plan A, I was going to make it into a 214cc beast. I owe a lot of thanks to Tony (Elime) for his sage advice on this. To this end, I bought a Wiseco 70mm piston and bored out a spare jug. Not too expensive… so far.

And then along came Heli-Mech and I bought ax XT 225 6 spd gearset c/w clutch basket from him. Well, of course I had to get a TW countershaft modified to run the 6 spd. Well, if I’m going to split the cases, might as well bump it up to 223cc so I went out and bought an XT 225 crankshaft and balancer assy and an XT 225 clutch housing. So, Plan B was born. A little more expensive but still OK…

And then along came PlacerLode with his exquisite countershaft extension. What is a (weak) guy to do… buy it of course and come up with a new plan! So last week I finally found ax XT 225 locally for a good price. For less than $1000 CAD I got a ’96 with 21000km on the clock, a clear title, and it started right up at -10c. So, a good engine and lots of pieces to part out. Clearly, I now had Plan C and some spare parts lying around. This suddenly got a lot more expensive…

And then my conscience kicked in. The fact is that the ’96 is just in too nice to part-out and to be lost to the motorcycle world. A small rip in the seat, a small dent on the tank, worn out tires (factory originals??), and a busted petcock knob are really the only faults. So, on to what I am now calling “Plan C v2.0”. I am going to freshen up the XT motor with a 71mm Wiseco piston, bored out jug, a rebuilt head (got a deal on a YFB 250 head), and fresh clutch plates. I will put that motor, along with the extension shaft and a ’07 TW left-side case c/w stator and pick-up and a 07 TW flywheel (both bought on Ebay), in the TW this spring for this year’s riding season. In the meantime, I have purchased a complete TTR 225 bottom end that I will build into a 243cc monster (I don’t want to enlarge the case mouth or deal with piston interference). This should be ready to go into the TW chassis for 2020 and I will return the XT motor to its rightful home. Have I mentioned how really expensive this is getting????

In any case, I already have a buyer lined up for the XT, and by the end of this I should have a 214cc “kit”, an XT 225 6 spd gearset c/w clutch basket, an XT 225 crank and balancer assy, a WebCam 340a camshaft (if I decide to upgrade to a 389) and a PlacerLode countershaft extension for sale. I might be able to recoup some of my expenses this way, but I know I will never break even. Did I mention the bit about the cheapest part of owning a vehicle yet?

Expensive? Yes.
Questionable outlay of money? Probably.
Insane? Maybe.
Worth it? MOST DEFINITELY!!

To Sebastien, Christddel, Elime, Heli-Mech, PlacerLode, Fred, TW-Brian, Vanillagorilla1, Joeband, lbxr, YBW, Vagabond, Admiral, Fred, Ronnydog, TheLuigus, CJ7Pilot, and a slew of others I have probably missed, many thanks for breaking trail on these conversions and making it so much easier for those of us who follow (never liked breaking trail in the toboggan harness on winter warfare exercises!). Please expect to hear questions from me as this progresses, especially the 243cc bit! Hopefully, by detailing my experiences here on this forum I can pay back you guys and the larger TW community as a whole for all of the help you have given me so far. I look forward to posting further.

James

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Wow. Have you ever been tested for ADD lol? Can’t wait to see pics, especially your KOSO tach, even if it’s not on the bike yet. Good update.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BF - I don't have ADD... I'm an Engineer!! The KOSO tach is already installed and works great. I ordered a flat black one but I got a chrome one instead. No issues, works as advertised - 10k limit, shift light, and over rev warning (is this even possible on a TW?). Anyway, absolutely love this bike but somehow life keeps throwing little things in the way that seem to delay me. Probably for the better, gives me more time to think and find ways to spend more money!

James

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Nice! What else are we gonna do during these nasty winters? I currently have 3 TWs. When I realized how easy the first one was to work on, I just keep looking for older models that need TLC. Would like to see a pic of that tach when you get time. Also, did you set up your headlight with daytime running light? Cheers

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
i think you forgot the anti-gravity jimboshield... ;)
congrats on your decent into the madness.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Everyone has to be a comedian... seriously though, I'm a Civil Engineer (my friends will tell you they've never met an engineer that was civil) and not a Mechanical Engineer so you'll have to be patient with my questions about things with parts that move.

Anyway, to answer FB's questions, I am running the DRL on the JNS headlight. When I replaced the front turn signals, I did not use the running light function of the old ones. As a result, I had 2 switched-hot circuits available - I used one for the headlight DRL and the other to power my KOSO GP tach. Pics of tach to fol later this wk.

James

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So my YBF250 rebuilt cylinder head was waiting for me when I got home last night. Looks good to me, but then I am not an experienced engine builder. First thing I noticed was the open 6005 bearing for the cam.

Now for a couple of questions:

Do these casting numbers mean anything?

Do these valves look too countersunk to you?

Thanks for the help!

James

Attachments

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Everyone has to be a comedian... seriously though, I'm a Civil Engineer (my friends will tell you they've never met an engineer that was civil) and not a Mechanical Engineer so you'll have to be patient with my questions about things with parts that move.
James
No offence intended James...I just love to needle engineers! So many of them take themselves sooo seriously.
I worked around, for & with engineers most of my career. Mostly chemical...and they were the nerdiest!
My 2 favorite, smartest bosses ever, were mechanical & chemical.
I think maybe I'm just jealous! :D

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Do these valves look too countersunk to you?

I don't know . Its hard to say. Is this a new head or rebuilt? If it was mine I would take it apart and have a look at the valve seats and valves. There is a spec called "valve margin" which is from the edge of the valve face to the top of the valve. If it is under spec the valves have been ground beyond their usable service life. Take a look at the valve seats and check the contact pattern with some machinist blueing. The contact should be in the middle of the valve face and there is a spec for the width of contact also. If all of that looks good the last thing you should check is the installed height of the springs. There are specialized micrometers for this but you could probably do it with a small piece of pipe or something similar and some feeler guages.
AK300593AB00ENG.png image002.jpg

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Darth - no issues, as an engr I'm pretty used to being made fun of... especially by other engrs!

PeterB - many thanks for the info. Now I just have to get brave enough to take it apart. Good thing I jumped on that sale for the Service Manual!

Today it got up to 8c here so was a good time to go to the storage unit and look at the 96 XT225. Once again, started right up. I was pretty sure it was running a bit rich and was burning some oil, so I decided to pull the plug and do a compression test. Suspicions were confirmed. Compression tested at 80 psi (dry) and 150 psi (wet) after a warm-up pd. Also, the plug was very telling. Just reinforces my previous decision to do an overbore and use a WISECO 71mm 10.25 piston. Once I pull the head and jug I'll have a better idea about the valves. Probably have a valve job done while I have it apart anyway. The adventure continues...

20190314_152007.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think your bearing is not good. I thons it is necessary to mount a bearing with an outer seal as on the quad tracker 250 to keep the camshaft in its oil bath. you can buy a bearing with 2 seal and delete 1.

sorry for my bad English!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pierre - Je vous comprends. D'accord. Comme PeterB a sugéré, je vais démonter et inspecter la culasse. À ce moment-là, je peux remplacer le roulement d'arbre à cames si je voudrais. Excusez-moi s'il vous plait, mais mon français est un petit pue rouillé!

For everyone else... I agree with Pierre's thoughts on the bearing having read all the discussions on this option on previous threads. After I take apart and inspect the head, I will replace the camshaft bearing at that time if I want. I also apologized for my incredibly rusty French... hard to believe I was almost bilingual at one point.

James

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, a question about camshaft chain sprockets, in particular their interchangeability between various models. I have searched the forums and not found anything directly on point. As far as I can tell, with the exception of the 01-07 XT225s, all of the camshaft drive sprockets from the TW200/TTR225/TTR230/old XT225/YFB250/YFM250, and other mbrs of the same engine family should all interchange. Is this so? I am asking as I will need one for my rebuild of the TTR225 engine and there is a distinct lack of them on eBay. Looking at the various ones at "Yamaha Parts House", they seem to range in price between $13 and $72 USD. Clearly, if the $13 part will do, that would be great! Thanks in advance for your help,

James

·
Registered
439 Posts
I think the open bearing is correct.

It's contained in a sealed environment (behind the inspection cover), and you want oil to run through the bearing as it's draining back down in to the crank case.

·
Registered
439 Posts
So, a question about camshaft chain sprockets, in particular their interchangeability between various models. I have searched the forums and not found anything directly on point. As far as I can tell, with the exception of the 01-07 XT225s, all of the camshaft drive sprockets from the TW200/TTR225/TTR230/old XT225/YFB250/YFM250, and other mbrs of the same engine family should all interchange. Is this so? I am asking as I will need one for my rebuild of the TTR225 engine and there is a distinct lack of them on eBay. Looking at the various ones at "Yamaha Parts House", they seem to range in price between $13 and $72 USD. Clearly, if the $13 part will do, that would be great! Thanks in advance for your help,

James
I just ran in to the same problem myself. I found some on ebay... if they are correct, I'll point the seller out to you!

·
Registered
439 Posts
To Sebastien, Christddel, Elime, Heli-Mech, PlacerLode, Fred, TW-Brian, Vanillagorilla1, Joeband, lbxr, YBW, Vagabond, Admiral, Fred, Ronnydog, TheLuigus, CJ7Pilot, and a slew of others I have probably missed, many thanks for breaking trail on these conversions and making it so much easier for those of us who follow....
Also, you don't know how humbled I am, to have you even mention me in the same sentence with these all-stars! :wav:

I feel like I'm just fumbling around in the dark, and I'm hoping it all works out!

Actually, I think the 230 is going to be a fantastic runner, and I should probably build it for myself... but I'm greedy, and I want the 250....

My friend is interested in the 230 for his bike, as long as I do the work (I knew that would happen, anyway). He was a little surprised at the cost, but he's on board.

Full disclosure, for those who are curious, be prepared to spend around $750 to do this conversion.

You might save a little if you're a wheeler and dealer, or you might spend a LOT more... I think $750 is a good baseline, though.

It's all in the name of fun, though. Cheers! :eek:ccasion14:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts