TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Japanese Style Mods

19K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  stephenmarklay 
#1 ·
Here is a pic of a modded TW that looks similar to what I would like to do to mine:

Has anyone modded their TW200 with a new tank, round headlights, new fenders, speedometer, etc.? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth my while to sell the parts on my bike before the mod when they are brand new.

My bike is a 2013 and it has 14 miles on it. I would like to fit it with a Big Cedar tank, fenders, etc., new seat, the works. Trying to figure out if selling my new parts is worth it. Not sure how much I could get for everything on a new TW200 before I mod it.

If I can't get decent money for my parts, then I will finish paying the bike off before I begin modding it.

The only thing that I plan on doing differently from the pic, is putting a scrambler-style chrome pipe along the side of my bike, and not a low pipe. I will still want to ride off road. My TW200 will remain a dual sport for sure.

See less See more
#3 ·
I love that look as well, but if i was you I would enjoy your Brand new TW, i mean seriously yours is BRAND NEW! Personally I would work on paying off the 2013 then wait for a good deal on like an 89 - newer TW on craigslist for cheap and then work on modding one that already needs fixing up. Idk just my 2 cents, but welcome to the forum, I have seen a few TW members on here that have something similar to that japanese one you have pictured that could help you out.

#8 ·
Thanks for the replies! I bought a new TW200 for modding instead of simply modding an old one for two simple reasons: 1. it's expensive, and 2. it's time consuming.

My rationale is basically, "Why would I want to spend a ton of time and money modding a bike that is already half-way over the hill, so to speak?" Once the bike is modded and done, I want it to last for a very long time that way.

My new bike will allow me to change the oil after 50 miles and then 100 and then 200 and so on. In short, I plan on babying it, and taking very good care of it, but not at the expense of having fun, of course. I could have saved about $1000 by scouring the Internet for a good deal with a bike that had 1,500 or so miles on it, but I just got tired of surfing. This forum changed my mind when I found out about all the metal shavings in the oil filter after 50 miles of riding. It made me think that I would like to make sure none of those shavings had gotten into the engine of the bike that I mod.

At any rate . . . sounds as if the parts (like new) aren't worth a great deal. I will just enjoy the bike for now, while I pay it off. I should get it paid off in about six months. (It cost a flat $4K new in December, which I thought was a good enough deal to go into debt for half a year [at zero percent interest] since it will save about 500 clams compared with the list price of $4495 now and through next fall.) By the way, the cheapest time to buy a motorcycle from a dealer is generally in December when they are trying to make their year-end figures.

Maybe in 2014 I will think about modding my TW 200, and maybe just hang onto my stock parts after that in a box in my garage.

Any future comments from people are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

#14 ·
At any rate . . . sounds as if the parts (like new) aren't worth a great deal. I will just enjoy the bike for now, while I pay it off. I should get it paid off in about six months. (It cost a flat $4K new in December, which I thought was a good enough deal to go into debt for half a year [at zero percent interest] since it will save about 500 clams compared with the list price of $4495 now and through next fall.) By the way, the cheapest time to buy a motorcycle from a dealer is generally in December when they are trying to make their year-end figures.

Maybe in 2014 I will think about modding my TW 200, and maybe just hang onto my stock parts after that in a box in my garage.

Any future comments from people are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

sounds like a good idea...not to say you can't start with some small cheap mods in the meantime...good idea to hold onto the parts...if/when you go to sell it...it will be worth more in stock trim...and you should be able to sell the other parts on here to members...when you get into the electrical, don't skimp...use good connectors cause there is nothing worse than buying a bike with a chopped up electrical system...welcome and enjoy the new ride...post of a photo of yours when you get a chance

#10 ·
I'm sort of curious about how much bike work you've done before? Not a lot I'd say,you're going to have to factor in a good customizer / mechanics costs into that. Working on a slightly older bike would have given you some experience.

I actually go the other way with customizing - buy an older bike and don't feel guilty about throwing half the parts away that are worn.

#11 ·

You're right: I won't be doing the most difficult mods myself, such as the electrical system. It would keep my sanity in tact for me to work at my regular job and to pay a mechanic with the money I make at my regular job. In fact, I'm teaching one extra class per term to pay off this bike. (I'm a writing teacher at a community college.)

Last year, I modded a Triumph Bonneville myself. It was mainly a cosmetic job (the previous owner's wife plowed into it in a garage with her car), but I bought it for $3800 and sold it for $6000. Most of the parts I bought used on Ebay. So I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to mechanical things. I'm just not the best at really involved projects.

Here's a pic of my pride and joy before I sold her. Ironically, the mod ended up bumping up the price so that NEEDED to sell her. If I had just left well enough alone, I could have afforded to keep her. Now, I got a job at another community college to offset salary cuts at my college due to the economy. Problem solved . . . too late for Bonnie. But not too late for my new Tee Dub.

If anyone out there in P Town knows your way around a TW200, drop me a line. I might want to work with you in the future on my mod.

Dub Fiend

Portland, OR, USA

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSs1KbbpM5A[/media]

#12 ·
Well let me say this to add onto my previous post. Its your money and your bike, do what you want with it, ya know? I wasnt giving my opinion to turn you away from your idea of making a cool cafe style TW. I just thought it would be better to get some use out of your Brand new TW200 before you started taking it to get tore down/modded. I just thought it would be more cost effective to get an older one, or one that needs fixing up later on. anyways when you do start getting it tore down, take pics please of your progress.

#16 ·
I just finished modding my 2009. Here's a pic.

I found modding this bike quite easy compared to other projects I have done. And imo, it was not that expensive either. I say do it. I would have no problem pulling apart a brand new TW and modding it, however I do agree that if you can find a nice condition used one you will save yourself some bucks. I paid $2800 for a 2009 with 1200 miles on it in cherry condition, and I rode it for a few months then modded it.

I can help you with finding parts and such if you want. Most of the stuff can be ordered from Japan and it is a little expensive, but it ain't a car so not too bad.

Bart

#18 ·
Makes me want to get an old one to play with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.