TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
I've worked and played in the region a bit, but have not motorcycled there.
The unique draw might be floating the Jarbridge River. Otherwise it is typical Basin and Range, lot of open public land (BLM) with few scattered ranches running cattle on federal grazing leases, some new or re-opened gold mines and of course the Owahee Indian reservation. Very limited goods and services. Many of the canyons draining the local mountain ranges have year round flowing creeks, hunting camps as well as primitive roads all suitable for TW fun. There are a few reservoirs stocked with fish and some trees up high but by and large it is typical dry sagebrush high desert. It is a remote underpopulated region so you do not see many other people or their vehicle's dust clouds in the distance.
Admiral and others have riding experience in the region and can relate better TW experiences.

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
I've not been there...yet but have unwritten plans that I want too.

However, I do know this from reading all the advrider forum stuff Rider 21 mentions. The summer is hot. Rattlesnakes everywhere. In town, you can get gas and the pumps usually work. There's a place to bunk down and eat. Even a museum. Campgrounds with some shade.

It's very near the start of the IDBDR though some of the adventure bike wussies are skipping this desert section and starting in Mountain Home. But I digress...

·
Registered
13,790 Posts
Oh, and a word of caution, it's pronounced Jar-Bidge, not Jar-Bridge which is a common mispronunciation. You'll get some stink eye from the town-folk if you mispronounce it.:D

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I have been to Jarbidge a couple years ago. Two of us on our TW's spent 4 days riding some very remote trails and river banks about 30 miles south of there. If you do go to Jarbidge, expect nothing, and be amazed with what is there. The general store was the size of my kitchen, and at that time, they mentioned that they closed in the winter. It was fall when we were there and the 30 mile ride in was beautiful with the coloring of trees. It certainly is in the middle of nowhere!
Mel

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
it looks like you couldn't get any closer to no where, than in Jarbridge. are you going there Tuna? you might fit right in, sitting in an old rocking chair outside the store. i can see you there now

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Satellite view using Google Maps it looks like Main St. Jarbridge is a dirt road.
Yep, and the last 55 miles to get there is dirt too. There are hundreds of miles of non-technical dirt to the west and south west in NE Nevada all the way to Elko. Flowers in late June to early July are spectacular. Not many trees and not much water. But don't tell anybody. :p

Named for Tsawhawbitts, a mythical giant from Indian lore who ate people. You probably wouldn't want to go there.....alone. :eek:

Jarbidge, Nevada

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Sounds like Tuna should go visit "The Canyon of the Evil Giant", just not this week as it is getting buried in snow.

As Rocky shared with us is sure sounds like a fun place: " A barrel of homemade whiskey blew up in the basement of the Success Bar." and "The little community does hold one distinction in the annals of crime. It is the site of the last horse-drawn stage robbery in the nation. Note that the word is stage, not stage coach. It was a buckboard carrying letters, packages, supplies and cash" so guard your wallet.:p

I spent my time in the hills far away from town where summer thunderstorms could be seen marching across the valley bottoms far away. Lighting and a little risk? Sure, but tempered by beauty and lasting memories.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Snowing in Joshua Tree about a hour ago, that's all I want of the white stuff. Just planning a long trip this spring/summer.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SNOWING? I think I will have to put off my trip to Anza Borrego for a while! :eek:
It stopped just a light dusting, but windy with lows in the mid 20's for the next few days, by the time you get here it will be nice again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts