TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020. Bought the pc jet kit. I have a DG slip on.
I put in the new 34 pilot and needle with 2 shims And the 125 main

the bike still runs really lean. I’ve gone up to a135 main and I’m still lean.With a bone white plug... any advice would be greatly appreciated. I’m in southern NH 1200’

·
Registered
841 Posts
Just keep going. I'd try a richer pilot since it affects all ranges. If yours is just lean at full open throttle, then the main. If it's lean mid throttle, then another shim. Mine was happiest at 2 shims, but 3 is not unheard of.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’m gonna subscribe, I’m also in NH but not the same elevation. Both mine and my wife’s are lean. My 2001 I can hear pinging when I lug it. i’m pretty sure I’m gonna need to get into the carb once I figure out what jetting Mods to make. Anyone run premium gas in one of these to help with detonation?

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I have a 2020. Bought the pc jet kit. I have a DG slip on.
I put in the new 34 pilot and needle with 2 shims And the 125 main

the bike still runs really lean. I’ve gone up to a135 main and I’m still lean.With a bone white plug... any advice would be greatly appreciated. I’m in southern NH 1200’
With a 34 pilot and a 135 main jet, your TW should be running really rich....a black carbon covered spark plug.

I suspect something else is wrong.

Have you adjusted the pilot screw...? ... 2 1/2 turns out.?

Just a suggestion....remove the DG exhaust and get the bike running properly with the stock muffler, then go from there.

jb

Reactions: grewen

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With a 34 pilot and a 135 main jet, your TW should be running really rich....a black carbon covered spark plug.

I suspect something else is wrong.

Have you adjusted the pilot screw...? ... 2 1/2 turns out.?

Just a suggestion....remove the DG exhaust and get the bike running properly with the stock muffler, then go from there.

jb
Thanks bud. It’s at 2.5 turns. I’m going to give it one more and run it a bit more and see what happens.

·
Registered
42 Posts
These engines are made to run lean. The plug can be white and not be an issue. if you go too far chasing the brown color then you just burn more fuel. If the bike starts easy, runs well, has no surging while at speed then the jetting is good. Most modern engines the plug will always be white. if it was blistered then you have a problem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I’m gonna subscribe, I’m also in NH but not the same elevation. Both mine and my wife’s are lean. My 2001 I can hear pinging when I lug it. i’m pretty sure I’m gonna need to get into the carb once I figure out what jetting Mods to make. Anyone run premium gas in one of these to help with detonation?
The sound you hear are you certain is pinging? The engine in this and many powersports have a pronounced knock sound when under heavy load. The sound is the pressure wave in the cylinder and due to the aluminum used in the construction of the engine you do hear it. Similar to how a diesel engine makes a knock sound under load. True detonation is very loud and destructive. It has a much higher pitch sound

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These engines are made to run lean. The plug can be white and not be an issue. if you go too far chasing the brown color then you just burn more fuel. If the bike starts easy, runs well, has no surging while at speed then the jetting is good. Most modern engines the plug will always be white. if it was blistered then you have a problem.
thanks man. It runs good.Ijust don’t want it overheating because it’s too lean. Maybe i should put the 130 back in it and run it for a while.

·
Registered
6 Posts
thanks man. It runs good.Ijust don’t want it overheating because it’s too lean. Maybe i should put the 130 back in it and run it for a while.
I have a 2019. I did a lot of switching around to find tune. I live about sea level with PC kit. I ended up with zero shims 34 pilot 35 main 2 1/2 turns. I use 89 octane, had a knock with 87 at low RPM traversing through rough terrain. Good luck !

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2019. I did a lot of switching around to find tune. I live about sea level with PC kit. I ended up with zero shims 34 pilot 35 main 2 1/2 turns. I use 89 octane, had a knock with 87 at low RPM traversing through rough terrain. Good luck !
Also cut three coils off the spring

·
Registered
124 Posts
I live at almost the same elevation at about 1300 feet and i used the 125 main with 2 shims. Possibly 1 shim i cant recall exactly but the 125 main and new pilot jet runs perfectly on my 2019.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The sound you hear are you certain is pinging? The engine in this and many powersports have a pronounced knock sound when under heavy load. The sound is the pressure wave in the cylinder and due to the aluminum used in the construction of the engine you do hear it. Similar to how a diesel engine makes a knock sound under load. True detonation is very loud and destructive. It has a much higher pitch sound
I only hear this when I am under heavy load, like pulling a hill in high gear . I’m hoping it’s the Sound you describe. I weigh about 215 so I’m sure the engine is highly loaded whenever I’m ask8ng it to haul me around. Down shifting seems to eliminate the pinging I’m hearing. I just want to make sure I’m not hearing detonation from a lean condition, I’m having too much fun on this bike and I don’t want to burn a hole in the piston.

can someone clue me in on this PC jet kit you all are discussing?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Jet Kit, ProCycle | ProCycle.us
I have one...installed it...end results were just 'OK' but it developed an off-idle stumble and I didn't feel like chasing problems around, so I went back to OEM jetting.
Mixture screw at 1 ¾ turns...runs perfectly.

PC jet kit now hangs from a nail in my shop. That's the second PC jet kit I've bought (DR650) that proved to be a waste of money.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is it my glasses all screwy or does that say 50 dollars for that kit? Half a dozen jets a needle and some shims for fifty clams..... there’s gotta be something I’m missing, is there also a full gasket kit to allow a full rebuild and cleaning?

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
If you want inexpensive jets go to

Aliexpress.com

and search for " jets carburetor " and start looking for what you need.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Thanks bud. It’s at 2.5 turns. I’m going to give it one more and run it a bit more and see what happens.
2.5 turns should be plenty with the 34 pilot jet.

For comparison, here's the spark plug with a 130 main jet, 34 pilot jet, (Yamaha jets) and 3 shims under the main needle:

rich spark plug_zpsgujf8jdp.jpg

jb

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Is it my glasses all screwy or does that say 50 dollars for that kit? Half a dozen jets a needle and some shims for fifty clams..... there’s gotta be something I’m missing, is there also a full gasket kit to allow a full rebuild and cleaning?
No there is nothing wrong with your eyes....

To be fair, they include a new needle.

·
Registered
42 Posts
On my stock 2019 i have done the following mods to the carb. the bike had a noticeable surge while driving at 80 kmh. installed 2 needle shims, Replaced the main jet with a 128, and set the screw at 1.75 turns out. Bike runs great.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
jbfla -- your spark plug looks a little on the rich side to me. I bet if you leaned it out a little bit I bet the bike would run better.

Here's mine. Right now it is running very well,....
Hi Tony,

Yes, I agree. It's a lot rich... :eek:

Like you, I experimented for years, This worked for me. The bike ran great.

But, every couple years I had to scrape the carbon off the piston.

If I still had the TW I would probably go tho a 128 main..... (on the CV carb).

I'm riding an XT250 now.....no carb.... (y) :D

jb

1 - 20 of 25 Posts