TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2004 TW200, Jets 'n Shims, DGV2, Acerbis Guards, ProTaper KX, JNS LED BLK
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Seems like a nice little inexpensive, aluminum bit, to replace the white plastic OEM inverted shark-fin chain/sprocket guard.

Can anyone think of a reason this part wouldn't fit a 2004 TW? Seller says fitment is for '05-'21 TW's...
(I'm not aware of any swingarm design differences between '04-'05).

JFG RACING Motorcycle Chain Guard Guide Slider Protection Wearable CNC Aluminum Alloy Chain Guard Guides for YAHAMA TW200 2005-2021,XT225 2005-2007,XT

·
Registered
730 Posts
Wish they had other colors.
Yeah. I see they follow the traditional color code by manufacturer. Boring

I would have considered buying a red (bling) or black one.

Reactions: reddave

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hear y’all on the colors. More options would be better. My ‘04’s got the royal blue accents on tank & plastics, plus I’ve already got a pair of shorty levers that match, so works for me.

Just unsure why this guard is only listed as compatible with 2005 - 2021.

Seems it should be 1987 - present... unless I missed the totally updated TW200 single-sided magnesium swingarm year.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've broken the stock plastic piece a couple of times bashing it on rocks. It always splits at the forward mounting bolt and rotates up out of the way. I wonder if a metal piece would detrimentally transmit more force to the bike?

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
You mentioned your stock one is white. Mine is black. Not that it matters, but my black one has held up to some mighty hard knocks. It's on a 2013 if that matters.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've broken the stock plastic piece a couple of times bashing it on rocks. It always splits at the forward mounting bolt and rotates up out of the way. I wonder if a metal piece would detrimentally transmit more force to the bike?
Fair point. On the it’s better to “break the weaker, cheaper thing, connected to the stronger, more expensive thing” logic.

On balance, my TW is mostly a street queen, (It & I, only dream of some of the epic trail, backwoods & mountain rides many of you guys post up.... you bastards.)

If I spent time riding rock gardens, I would definitely think twice about this mod, but as she goes, a little thrifty bling here & there sets my steed apart from the herd!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will try this on my 2005 this evening I’ll let you know.
AMZN Seller’s specs say fits ‘05-‘21 TW’s. I’m not aware of any differences in the swing arms ‘04-‘05. No one here seems to have an opinion on that. Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
19,922 Posts
Nice, thanks for the picture bro!

·
Premium Member
921 Posts

·
Registered
3,048 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know it’ll fit a 2002 through 2015.
And I noticed a 10 to 15% increase in horsepower even before I fired it up!
Right on! Looks good. Aerodynamic update alone, man, youre looking at an easy + .5mph @ WOT. I'd bet dollars to donuts. Enjoy. Thanks for the great recon!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Does it help handling also? It is shaped like a rudder. Maybe it helps the bike stay straighter at high speeds.
Holy hell! Just noticed your sig. Are you on the leader board in the TW Miles High Club? Much respect, for the iron butt achievement & just keeping the thing going all those years! Bravo.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts