TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have dropped my TW so many times in the last few months that the headlight fairing losts are extremely bent as it is very difficult to squeeze the sides of the jimbo shield on. What have u guys done in situations like this?

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Straightened the mounts. I had to do this after my summertime face plant. Pretty easy.

Tom

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Large channel lock pliers and leverage should get it straightened out. Might have to remove it and pound it back in shape as long as it is not cracked or completely destroyed.

Mounting the shield any other way is not advisable unless you plan for the inherent vibration just like Jimbo did.

GaryL

·
Registered
20,472 Posts
Re-bending is easy. I use an adjustable spanner ( crescent wrench). Like Tom I have to do this after all my face-plants too:). The Lexan plastic is susceptible to shattering and does not like to be drilled and bolted without some form of stress relieving pad like the Jimbo rubber grommets. Doctor Jeckyl could modify as mentioned but I doubt it would hold up under crash loads well as the original design. Better to bend than break. I'm pretty good at un-bending but not so good at un-breaking.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Re-bending is easy. I use an adjustable spanner ( crescent wrench). Like Tom I have to do this after all my face-plants too:). The Lexan plastic is susceptible to shattering and does not like to be drilled and bolted without some form of stress relieving pad like the Jimbo rubber grommets. Doctor Jeckyl could modify as mentioned but I doubt it would hold up under crash loads well as the original design. Better to bend than break. I'm pretty good at un-bending but not so good at un-breaking.
Just to correct Fred and no offense intended. Lexan is in fact Shatter proof! It will bend before it ever cracks or brakes. Plexiglass is the dangerous stuff never to be used as a windshield.

GaryL

·
Registered
20,472 Posts
Thank you Gary for the correction. Thank goodness someone knows their plastics for I obviously do not:(.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Been so lazy to try bending the mount until today. I know i could have used a wrench but i used a mallet and punch and voila! The jimbo shield is secure!

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Been so lazy to try bending the mount until today. I know i could have used a wrench but i used a mallet and punch and voila! The jimbo shield is secure!
Your welcome.:p

Tom

·
Super Moderator
18,138 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Yeah, I emailed him, he emailed back the next day on how to do it. Had the shield in 4 days. This was like last week.......week before.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts