TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a nice ride today telling myself in order to protect my right side I should only fall to the left side. Apparently my determination worked. :p
Poor Mr.Gizmo took a beating in the process. Location is midway up a newly found long climbing single track and only part of a good day’s ride.

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
I saw the video first as my iPhone alerts to new videos by people I'm subscribed to. Then I saw the title of this thread. Very funny.

Just cause you're having surgery in a few months doesn't mean you have to add to the list of items needing fix'in. Be careful out thar.

·
Registered
20,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Those were the only “Boo-Boos” on an otherwise fine time riding between Stampede Reservoir and Verdi Peak Fire Lookout tower whose main vehicle access road remains washed out from winter flooding, thus the new single trackage. Here is more samples of the fun day until eventually we made it home in driving rain.
Strong rainfall over a recent wildfire burnt slope had sent mudflows closing part of Interstate 80 again so we had to contend with long streams of tourist cars following Google Map’s “Alternate Route” on the old immigrant wagon trail. Dust clouds boiling off the thundering herd obscured oncoming anxious off-road neophytes as they tried to pass either each other or get around disabled vehicles as they all tried to rush home over the Sierras. Oncoming traffic looming out of the dust seemed way too dangerous for a couple of mild mannered TWs so we diverted down an old railroad track and hid out in Dog Valley hoping for opposing traffic to clear. Then a good strong rain began.
Mr.Gizmo bike on it's second rain ride once again died so Adam towed me the last mile or so until my bike’s electricals steamed sufficiently dry to resume internal combustion. Time to track down this issue and do more waterproofing.

·
Registered
20,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was both of our first attempts at the foot peg to foot peg towing technique. With just a 10 ft piece of 3/8ths rope we tied knots at the ends then stood on the knots. System worked well for a couple of us drowned rats who didn’t want to stand around in the rain discussing the finer details of the technique. We both just decided “Go for it!"

·
Registered
20,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That one tree took out not only the Jimbo Shield but snapped off a folding mirror and crunched one of the two horns. I may imitate Rider21’s homemade shield made from ABS with aid of a heat gun.
Just one ride and I have a big repair list. At least the long throw suspension really mellowed the bike’s response to rocky sections, and the new Seat Concepts kit further softened the ride.

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
I forgot to ask why did Mr. gizmo die and have to be towed in the first place? I've ridden in the rain and the engine hasn't died on me so what's the deal?inquiring minds want to know ha ha

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I wanna go riding there!!
Where? Into a tree. I know there has to be at least one tree somewhere in New York. You shouldn't have to travel clear across country to run into one. Unless you just want to say you rode into the same tree as The Famous Fred!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
20,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was trying to imitate all that East Coast back woods enduro riding only we have dust rather than loam....that is until it rains.
Speaking of rain...
The towing resulted from Mr.Gizmo stalling at speed in heavy rain, replicating symptoms experienced twice at this year's fabulous Booneville Liquid Sunshine Group Ride. Bike stalls , likely from liquid sunshine thrown up by tires onto some exposed ignition circuitry. Then after a few minutes the problem drip dries, or steams away and bike can start again.Happy once more the fun can then resume.

Of note is our TWs were only bikes climbing the steep single track, all the 300 to 500cc KTMs were descending.
Being used to the Duro ATV tire on Betty Boop I mistakenly used the slow churning climb technique rather than the faster attack typically needed by the stock TrailWing in steep loose soils, almost didn’t make it. While Adam sailed up and made it look easy old farts like me really appreciate the Duro PowerGrip. Until you’ve experienced an ATV tire’s enhanced thrust in marginal conditions you don’t know what you’re missing. Of course it also means when it occasionally does get stuck you are farther from help than had you stayed with the stock tire. A booger bound TW standing erect and immobile in goopy mud is not a pretty sight.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts