TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was found on a Hagerty website, thought I would repost it here for all to see to clear up the difference between a JIS and Philips screw head. Could be posted in the Technical section too.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Yeah, lots of us need reminding of that once in a while. Hopefully before buggering a smaller JIS screw.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Yup. Always look for the dot.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Please help me understand what "dot" you're referring to.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
dot or punch mark on the left side of the screwdriver slot X or plus sign on the bolt in the middle of the pic.
dot.jpg

·
Registered
338 Posts
It references in the article “vintage” motorcycles. Are they still using JIS screws on the current Japanese offerings?

Quote: “For instance, if you are working on a classic motorcycle, you are probably using the wrong screwdriver”

Quote: “If you play with vintage Japanese motorcycles, you should be too.”

·
Registered
2019 TW200
24 Posts
Get some Vessell JIS screwdrivers, and honestly, just use those on everything.

I don't grab my Klien or Craftsmen phillips drivers at all anymore.

·
Registered
615 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Many years ago. while trying to learn how to get old junk bikes running.
That others have thrown away.. I couldn't understand why a cheap , rusty
Screwdriver that came in old bike tool kit worked so much better then
The nice set of Craftsman drivers. That I had worked so hard for.
Obviously answer Craftsman was junk. So after much sweat and toil l
Purchased a set of Cline drivers just to be disappointed again.
So off to the long bus ride to the stealership. They informed me its not the
Tool but the person using it..I left mad . I stopped at the library on the way
Home did some research and learned about non standard hardware.
A little education can be a great thing.
Now trying to find said tool in this time and place.
That's another long winded story

·
Registered
27 Posts
Dot or not, if you have a set of Vessel JIS drivers, most likely the fastener you're working on will come out. They also seem to be far better than phillips drivers on phillips screws. The newer Jawsfit models should be even better, and the #2 impact driver has saved me on a few occasions.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Really worth grinding a little bit off your screwdrivers to make them fit jis screws. Wish id known that a long time ago!

Sent from my LML211BL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
152 Posts
Really worth grinding a little bit off your screwdrivers to make them fit jis screws. Wish id known that a long time ago!

Sent from my LML211BL using Tapatalk
Or just buy the correct jis drivers. They are different enough that just grinding the tip on a standard Phillips isn’t the same if you have a stubborn JIS, especially in a Mikuni carb.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I agree... There's nothing better than a JIS screwdriver for JIS or Phillips.

Added benefit is that JIS screwdrivers do not wear out. All that screw stripping that happens with Phillips screwdrivers is hard on the tool.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
You guys always send me down rabbit holes! After reading this post and the linked article I continued my research for another two hours or so on the JIS head and discovered that modern screwdrivers labeled "JIS" are not actual JIS but something of a cross between a Phillips and the now obsolete JIS head standard. The old standard, defunct since 2008, is labeled B4633, while the new one is labeled DIN 5260-PH/ISO 8763-1 (see below forum post, which I cross verified). Considering that I might be getting an old Japanese bike one day I decided to find a set that used the old genuine JIS label, and I found a Japanese company that still makes them, Sunflag (see below). Looks like Amazon used to carry these, though it says discontinued. I also bought the $15 set Ski got and sent it to by buddy in Queens, New York (I'm in Oregon). Can't wait to see how my vintage JIN screwdrivers compare to the modern standard, which is not technically JIN. So is the post-2008 standard called JIN-esque? IDK. It'll be interesting to see the differences. Thank you gentlemen!

616cbGM5fsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

·
Registered
188 Posts
Postcript: the JIS B4633 (pre-2008 standard) came in this morning and they are beautifully made. They have a hardened, magnetic, and apparently removable front tip, perfect handles, and of course the exact 90-degree angle between the blades as is called for by the original JIS designation. Typical Japanese high-quality construction too. They seem well worth the $30. See pic below for comparison. I will start using them on all my cross-sectional fasteners and will report back on their performance. Thanks. P

IMG_6785.JPG
IMG_6787.JPG

1 - 20 of 27 Posts