TW200 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently completed a couple of extended swingarm projects for my riding partners. I am sure there are other ways of doing this, but here is how I did these. First I marked the two donor arms to gain a 2' extiention.

I used a piece of allthread in the axle location to maintain the proper width and made the cuts with a sawsall.

I made inserts from 1x1.5 box tubing and 1/4x1 flat strap for a total of 1" x 1 3/4"

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I drilled 72 1/4" holes for plug welds, put the inserts in and slid it all together. It was a very snug fit, thus the Idaho persuaders.

All true and ready to be welded.

All welds completed and ready for clean up.

I used a flap wheel grinder to clean the welds up.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The front chain guard tabs were moved back 2".

A really good clean up in the bead blaster and it is ready for paint. Silver or black?

I hope it all works out for you Joeband. LETS RIDE!

·
Registered
13,789 Posts
Nice job on the extension.

Idaho persuaders, love the tool set!:D

Reactions: Workingman

·
Registered
20,474 Posts
Impressive work there Joe. So that's how it is done!
How long of an insert can you persuade into the respective donor arms?

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
hey! i know that picture was a long time ago... i had brown hair! that was the first ride with my infamous creek crossing; wet socks for lunch!
thanks joemama, i don't know that i am worthy of such a work of art, but i am very appreciative!

thank you sir!

ps: like the rolling stones said: paint it black

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The true straight section is only 5" long on a stock arm. The insert is 7" long. Snug on both ends as well as the entire length. There was no motion at all when it was ready to be welded.

·
Registered
6,060 Posts
Dang, Joemama! 72 holes and plug welds! I'll bet you were glad I didn't come back and ask you to add another 1/2" to mine :D, that sucker is never coming apart!

Seeing the fabrication process steps makes me appreciate your efforts even more - thanks again Joe!

Outstanding work!

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
"i want one"

·
Registered
386 Posts
the work you've done is awesome…but from my personal experience you are wasting 1 whole complete swing arm…if you chop it just past the brake drum boss and then hammer in 2x1" metal box section into the open end you can add whatever extension you require, then cut off to disered length , add ends, tack, weld, then fuly weld n auto body fill, the rest then its all done…stronger than OME…i only say if you are trying to make money from this..if for fun then none profit..ignore all the above

·
Registered
6,060 Posts
You are correct Supachip, methods similar to what you describe have been used by other members on this forum and require using only one swingarm.

When I found myself with a collection of four swingarms, I asked my good friend Joemama to try his hand at extending a couple of these using the technique that he has described here - one for me and one for him. I specifically requested this approach as I felt that it would be both the strongest method and would also be the most cosmetically acceptable. I am very pleased with Joe's work on both of these counts.

As far as wasting swingarms, I am pretty sure that Joe still has the leftover pieces from my swingarms that should still be suitable for using your approach. Let me know if you are interested and they are yours for the cost of shipping.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The last swing arm that I extended was by using just one. I used material that was on the wasted swing arms to fill the area over the insert betyween the cuts. More plug welds and NO BONDO. It looks just the same as the last one I did. Any quesses what bike it will end up on?

Joe

·
Super Moderator
18,141 Posts
Mine? LOL ha ha:D

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
The Black widow would love a new longer swingarm! Very nice work Joemama! Looked thru my archives and found that infamous pic of joeband enjoying his "sock lunch" after that norcal gang creek crossing. I'm sure if Joe had your extended swingarm on then that he would have powered thru that creek and not got his feet wet....:p....Here's that pic for those who have forgot about it or never seen it....

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
The last swing arm that I extended was by using just one. I used material that was on the wasted swing arms to fill the area over the insert betyween the cuts. More plug welds and NO BONDO. It looks just the same as the last one I did. Any quesses what bike it will end up on?

Joe
If you end up doing any of this art work for hire I already have stack of late model swing arms and I'd have a couple of 1.5" er's built. I'll take it right after welding and do the finish grinding etc myself. Either way seeing Joe's work has me motivated to break out the wire feed :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Very nice job! I'm curious, what's the reason for the springarm extension? This newbie wants to know. Thx.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.