TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new to dirt (street rider). If this is an old topic forgive me. I’ll be solo remote trail riding and want maximum “safety gear” within weight & size limits.

I’m not sure what they’re called but I plan on getting a “jump start battery gadget”. I was looking at a 1000mah device. About the size & weight of a dense paperback book. Very cool because it can also charge my SpotX and function as a flashlight. It looked a bit small but batteries have improved lately. How much battery “oomph” do I need to jumpstart a TW?

I also need equipment to air up tires after a flat or so I can air down for traction. I was thinking hand pump but wondered about that fat rear tire. Which is preferred, a tiny DC air compressor, CO2 wizardry, or a plain old bicycle pump? Can I get a jumpstart gadget that also airs tires without breaking the bank?

I’m open to ideas. Set me straight y’all. Thanks in advance for any info.

P.S. I may carry my Big Agness sleeping bag with integrated air mattress. (Love that bag!) Bonus points if the air compressor solution can also inflate a sleeping pad.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I have the original MicroStart battery pack and with case, it's about the same size as an old encyclopedia (remember those?)...without the case it's about ½ that size. With it, I have jump started my daughter's old CRV as well as the wife's Suzuki XL7. I went to use it on her RAV4 two weeks ago when the battery died, but as luck would have it...it was uncharged too. A friend of mine started his F150 with one, so the power IS there.
You could always redo the connector on a SLIME air pump to match one of the outputs on your jump starter...or add a 12V outlet to your TW.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts

I've got the xp1 and can start my 5.3 liter v-8. and I carry it on the TW

·
Registered
419 Posts
I've been seeing them for a couple years now, originally oversized and bulky (made more for cars/trucks) we should scout amazon and off road sites and see if we can come up with the best compressor/jump starter combo kit possible.

right now I'm running CO2 bottles with a schrader attachment valve, friend carries the jump starter.

Would be awesome to have this thread find the best dirt bike compressor/jump start device with the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Tinfoil,
Well Sir, first off, congrats on joining a neat little forum. Tons of good info and lots of experienced folks who've dealt with the little tractor bike for years. Now, as far as toting along, a jumper battery (for lack of a better term), well, yeah, you can do that but, it's gonna add weight, no matter where you store/keep it. I was/am in the same boat as you. Just kind-a got into the TW scene a few months ago. I acquired a backpack, some gadgets, a helmet and, I'm off in the outback.
One is a tiny, but very trustworthy little 12VDC compressor. I've had my Dub off road plenty of times and, have ran lower tire pressure. But yesterday was an experiment. I lowered the front tire to 4 psi and the rear to 8. I'm 6' 2.5" tall and a dainty 245 lbs. And that tire pressure was very helpful in suppressing some of the wash board lousy surfaced trails we have here. I'd been riding about an hour and decided that the trail I was on was getting too rocky for me. So, I turned around and, in very slow motion, FELL OVER. OOPs. Oh well, it happens.

But, one of the gadgets I acquired was/is a small First Aid kit. I sat down, took a swig of water from one of the two water bottles I carry and, broke open the new kit. I cleaned up some wounds and scrapes and, was back on the trail in a few minutes. That little kit sure came in handy.

Now, at the end of the trail, I was on the pavement. While I don't live all that far from where the trail end was/is, I decided to air up the Dubs tires. I broke out what you see in the link below. It's a tiny compressor. I'd already set up the Dub with an SAE electrical plug that can be used for battery charging or, accessory power. So, I plugged in that little compressor, started up the bike and, began airing up the tires. The rear took a little over 3 minutes to get it from 8 psi to 18. The front, about 1.5-2 minutes to go from 4 to 18. After a few minutes of wrapping things up, I was on my way home.

My back pack is a Walmart unit which, is a good one with quite a few pouches, zippers and what not. Room for two water bottles, one on each side, and a bladder if chosen. I carry a small tool kit, along with the factory one on the bike. I also carry a small, (shown in one of my threads) volt ohm meter. You never know when an electrical gremlin might rear its head and you'd have to maybe try and sort things out while on the trail. I carry a small pair of binoculars too. I also carry one of those really small, I think it's a five-pack of CO2 cylinders with the small hose. As of this minute, I think my back pack weighs around 8-10 lbs. I really don't notice its weight too much while out bouncing around on the trail or, even the street.

Eventually, I'll have a rack which, its primary responsibility will be to carry a Rotopax 1 gallon gas container.
And, I might even pick up a front over the headlight rack for carrying my little first aid kit and air compressor. That way, I'd get that small amount of weight off my back. Anyway, sorry for the long rant but, I feel I'm at least sort-a prepared for some of the possible issues/emergencies that might crop up.
Scott

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F6I4222/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
1,102 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Welcome to the dual sport world! I live on an island in Alaska and ride year round. It is a wise idea to be prepared and ready when on the trail. Don't worry about the charger/jumper/battery. If you learn to bump start your tw200 you will never need that. I sometimes forget to turn off my heated grips and in the morning I have a dead battery. I live on a hill get it rolling, clutch in kick up to 3rd, pop the clutch and she fires up every time. If I had more money I would have the kick starter, but it push starts so easily.

Get the tusk front fender bag, put the following in it

motion pro 6-1 T handle 3/8 drive
small metric hex key set
motion pro tire spoon 22/24mm combo levers/tire spoons
duct tape wrapped around sometime like a key card
zip ties
iodine tablets
two space blankets
knife with ferro rod

on the side cover that pops off there is a little bit of room I use it for a
lighter
wetfire
nitrile gloves
mosquito wipes

As for the air compressor I have a stop'n'go motorcycle air compressor it plugs into an SAE quick connect which is a must for a tw200, this provides easy access to power. You can get a usb/cell phone charger adapter.
It is a nice unit for pumping up motorcycle tires, there is a little room in the case i keep a vial of dish soap and lighter and some patch material. It probably won't work with your sleeping pad. For me I motocamp all over alaska and I swear by only foam mats. Mainly because you fold them up and kneel on them/sit on them if you have to do repairs on the road. It is really nice knowing you can't puncture it.

Remember the obvious survival gear only works if you have it. Think small and practical and you are much more likely to carry it.

·
Registered
19,760 Posts
Sometimes it can be a little hard to bump start a TW in deep sand, snow or mud. Without a kick starter or auxiliary battery pack it is important to avoid a discharged battery when riding alone.

·
Registered
19,760 Posts
Sometimes it can be a little hard to bump start a TW in deep sand, snow or mud.
So without a kick starter or auxiliary battery pack it is important to avoid a discharged battery when riding alone in areas that can possibly trap the rider.
Once stuck in a similar situation far from help due to leaving the key on I had few options. So I waited contemplating my relative lack of options and all my other poor judgments made in life.
Being a fairly long list this took awhile. However low and behold the 20 minute wait allowed a surface charge to re-build allowing enough spins of the starter motor to restore internal combustion.
So sometimes the gods will smile upon us but having a kicker or battery pack is a more reliable back-up strategy.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Even though the tw is easy to bump start you shouldnt rely on that. Any little starter from Costco or Amazon will work theyre all made in the same factory in china with a different case anyway. Flats in my experience are really rare. And if you have tubes in your tires youre just done if you get one. I run runflat atv tires which ive never needed to test. Ive come to rely on my kickstart and trust that over a battery anyway which in my bike has been dead for the last 1000 miles.

Sent from my LML211BL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
251 Posts
If my Dub stands for a while she has a tough time starting with the starter, but just 2 kicks and she purrs like a kitten. I agree a kick starter is better than a battery pack.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts