TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with a two-wheeled platform that's been around since the late 80's, virtually unchanged, I find myself wondering....

wouldn't it be cool if we were like the 'big kids'? Sure, we're not understood by the Harley crowd. Considered to small by the hardcore off-roaders. Hell, even the dealers try to steer us away from our bikes.

but if they can, why can't we?

what you ask?

well let me tell ya!

a rotating national meet.

the idea: held annually. Preferably same date every year. (i.e. 3rd Saturday of June)
open to all
split the country into 5-6 zones, so no one is travelling thousands of miles to go to the
closest meet (bragging rights for longest ride)
hold at state parks. Easy to find on every map, standard ammenities. Lodges may be
available.
day rides, good food, and like-minded company

what to call it?

given recent events, I'd like to call it the 'Russ Ralley'. This is with Gina's permission ofcourse.

I'm just the idea man here. As much as I'd like to take the lead, I know I'd fail miserably. I figure with the next few months of winter, this could make for some good discussion.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

TIM

·
Registered
13,795 Posts
Possible.

Bagger and his wife had a meet at there ranch a couple years ago. Rainman, his dad and a TW neighbor of Bagger attended what looked like a fun time. I couldn't make it the first year. He tried to do it again, but not enough interest I'm guessing. Haven't heard from him or Rainman for a long time here on the forum. :(

I think MrBracket and Wingnut traveled to ride with the norcal guys on different trips.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
was kinda thinking about a 6 zone split. Northwest, southwest, north central, south central, northeast and southeast.

something like this; NW, Elk City, Idaho
SW, Cedar City, Utah
NC, Red Wing, Minnesota
SC, Hot Springs, Arkansas
NE, Smethport, Pennsylvania
SW, Macon, Georgia

these are just points on the map. I have no idea what's in these areas, just throwing them out for reference.
I know for myself, the ride to a destination, is the best part. Choosing a route, searching out points of interest, and having no set schedule. If once I get to a destination, and were to meet up with fellow TWr's, well that's just a huge bonus. Share a meal, talk TW's, and find some trails/gravel. What could be better? Hopefully, the guy with local knowledge will step up and take the lead as far as putting together a day ride, and pointing out the closest 'greasy spoon'.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'd be up for it. I too would enjoy meeting some fellow Dubbahs. How far would folks be willing to ride to one of these ? May need to have more than 6 locations'
Will

Reactions: Fred

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Hot springs Arkansas is nice, pretty place, good food and from what I hear nice riding. It seems tp be pretty well located too.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
as I said I'm no expert on locations. Local members would have to take the lead on the individual locations. As far as I'd wanna go for a meet would be about 600 miles. 2 days to get there, an evening of meet and greet, a full day of trail, 2days home. Think that's about perfect

Reactions: Fred and r80rt

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hey what about considering the Canadian TW crowd and calling for one of the cycle of rallys in Canada?
I would suggest here but flying our TW's into the arctic would to totally over the top price wise. However what about a point around the Great Lakes on the Canadian side?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hey what about considering the Canadian TW crowd and calling for one of the cycle of rallys in Canada?
I would suggest here but flying our TW's into the arctic would to totally over the top price wise.

Now there's an idea, Bert !

Will

·
Registered
385 Posts
I love this idea.

Canadian Russ Ralley: How about Sleeping Giant Provincial Park / Thunder Bay?

NC: I would host it. I'd like input, and then we can vote on the destination ideas. 50Short, will you help with the trails?

If it is a haul, I would load Junior [room for 1, maybe 2 more T-Dubs] on my trailer and travel anywhere in the lower 48.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I want to suggest Wading Pines Campground in the Pine Barrens of NJ for the Northeast. Right outside the gate is hundreds of miles of sand and dirt roads.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I really like the idea of us all doing it the same week. We could pin the 5-6 regions and everyone could add pics/comments at will after we all get back. This is brilliant, just brilliant Tim.

Suggestion:
June is so hot/humid here down south. March is still way too cold up north. So maybe a April/May or August/September time frame would preferable on the co-national level. A late spring trip would be my vote as far as state parks are concerned. My family and I camp a ton, and the parks always seem busier in the fall. People trying to squeeze one last camp out in before school starts maybe? I don't know. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
was kinda thinking about a 6 zone split. Northwest, southwest, north central, south central, northeast and southeast.

something like this; NW, Elk City, Idaho
SW, Cedar City, Utah
NC, Red Wing, Minnesota
SC, Hot Springs, Arkansas
NE, Smethport, Pennsylvania
SW, Macon, Georgia

these are just points on the map. I have no idea what's in these areas, just throwing them out for reference.
What could be better? Hopefully, the guy with local knowledge will step up and take the lead as far as putting together a day ride, and pointing out the closest 'greasy spoon'.
Smethport, Pa is a whopping 15 miles from my house! This is a great location right on Historic Route 6 although I would have another suggestion 45 more miles East at Galeton, Pa.

There was an AdvRider Rally at the Oxyoke several years ago right on Route 6. Nice thing about this place is 28 cabins, tent space, restaurant, bar and ice cream parlor on site. Hardware store across street. Yamaha dealer just a few miles away. Honda dealer just a few more miles. Walking distance to other food and drink places. Right down the road from the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon!! Hasn't everyone heard of the Wellsboro Diner?? It's not far away either.. Just some ideas.......

Website The Ox Yoke Inn Motel & Restaurant Route 6 Galeton, PA

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
couple things guys. My original thought was hold it at just one place at a time, rather than all the places at the same time. But I do like the all places at once idea.

again, the locations I had posted were more for reference. I may suggest we break it up and start this way.

#1. Pick a date. With the new year about to begin, there's months ahead of us for folks to get time off. I for one would go for early fall. September'ish. Allows for maximum planning time.

#2. Pick zones. Again, mine are not set in stone and 6 may not be enough.

#3 hand off planning to someone in each zone, to take the lead for that zone.

#4 start new threads per zone so as to not cross contaminate planning (i.e.' SW Russ Ralley')

so I guess the 1st question is, what time of year is best for most?

·
Registered
3,366 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the way I see it, we gotta go thru the steps. Pick date is number one. What timeframe works for most riders? Actual ride areas and such can all be handled by the lead guy for each zone.

Reactions: Dubzha
1 - 20 of 41 Posts