TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw some beautiful country. Took a ton of pictures. Without going into a lot of details, if you get a chance to ride the White Rim road in Canyonlands N.P. I think you'll enjoy it. It took about 8 1/2 hours to do the loop. I was solo but it would be a good idea to have at least one other person out there with you in case of mechanical problems or injury. I spent 7 days in southeast Utah and didn't even scratch the surface of seeing what the area has to offer. What an amazing place! 387.jpg 417.jpg 362.jpg

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
More pic's please.

Tom

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Please tell us more! I have so wanted to TW the White Rim Trail since glimpsing it while rafting down the Green River. RDW has completed one of Utah's absolutely epic rides for those who don't know. Descending into Mineral Bottom on the Green River the White Rim Trail follows downstream to confluence with Colorado then up to Moab. About 100 mile loop through mind blowing escarpments and past Anazasi ruins and sculpted rock formations.
I think RDW might have just completed the best ride of the year, wow!

Reactions: PlacerLode

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Lucky dog, White rim trail is on my bucket list.

·
Registered
239 Posts
My friend Larry and I went to the Moab area a couple of years ago and found it to be a great adventure area. We hauled our TWs down from Idaho the end of March and spent most of a week down there. We mainly rode the area North and West of Moab. I really want to go back down there next spring and explore other areas.
http://tw200forum.com/forum/trails-off-road-adventure-riding/6923-southern-utah-spring-2013-adventure-ride-moab.html

I would really enjoy a gathering of TW riders for a joint adventure. The end of March and first part of April are great down there as winter is about over and the heat is not set in yet.
Happy Trails All
Ron in Boise

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Ron in Boise may have just proposed a fantastic group ride far enough out there for us all to make plans. Dropping over the rim into the canyon for the first time is a breathtaking sense of adventure not soon forgotten as you descend multiple switchbacks sometimes carved from the cliff face. Not for those with a fear of heights. I think RDW's upcoming pictures should give us all something to drool over in the upcoming winter months.
Looking forward to lots of pics and accompanying stories.

Reactions: Wingnut

·
Registered
239 Posts
I do propose that we plan for a Spring adventure. I have the luxury of being retired and can plan those kinds of adventures at my convenience. To be able to spend several days of leisurely exploration is my type of fun. I am not much into endurance runs where hundreds of mile are covered in a day but rather 50-60 miles rides and then gather in the evening around the campfire and share stories of the days events. An event with several days like this would make for a memorable trip.
I think it would be marvelous if B-Dub from St. George could get the time off to be there too as he is a wealth of Utah adventure riding Knowledge.
And if Fred could make it with his appreciation of Slick Rock it would enhance the whole experience.

Happy Trails All
Ron in Boise

·
Registered
20,479 Posts
Maybe RDW can lead us through places like this:
or this?:

Sorry to hijack thread RDW, just wanted to share a few videos that make me dizzy to watch. Humble apologies.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
I watched one of the videos it made me to nervous. Life's to precious and thats all I could stand.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I do propose that we plan for a Spring adventure. I have the luxury of being retired and can plan those kinds of adventures at my convenience. To be able to spend several days of leisurely exploration is my type of fun. I am not much into endurance runs where hundreds of mile are covered in a day but rather 50-60 miles rides and then gather in the evening around the campfire and share stories of the days events. An event with several days like this would make for a memorable trip.
I think it would be marvelous if B-Dub from St. George could get the time off to be there too as he is a wealth of Utah adventure riding Knowledge.
And if Fred could make it with his appreciation of Slick Rock it would enhance the whole experience.

Happy Trails All
Ron in Boise
I would be in for an early spring ride for sure!!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Smalls,
I followed some advice that you posted here (a couple of years ago?). I started in the Zion area and worked my way up to 12. Stayed outside of Escalante for a couple of nights. Outstanding light show of lightning way off in the distance and sky's with no light pollution, making for great star gazing. Rode "hells backbone road. Then the Burr trail. slowly made my way over to the Moab area and rode through Canyonlands and Dead Horse Point S.P. I was also doing some Mt bike riding and a little hiking. However I did not get up to the "top of the world" and onion creek area that you described. I really wanted to but the rain moved in and I headed home. That will have to wait for another time. I found your report very helpful and appreciate you posting it. Not to mention all those beautiful pictures.

·
Registered
239 Posts
When Larry and I were out there we actually hooked up with Smalls and his buddy the day they got there and went for a ride together. It was the tail end of our adventure. The end of March and first part of April are ideal because the weather is very moderate. Another month later and it is already getting a bit hot. I am not a hot weather kid so cool is good for me.

I am serious about going back there next Spring so if it happens, count me in. We should set up a separate thread for the Spring adventure and its planning.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Escalante is one of my favorite towns out there. The family and I went out a few weeks ago and spent 3 days around Moab in Canyonlands, Arches then drove down to Monument Valley where I seen Forest Gumps sister
then we drove through Valley of the Gods then up and over to the Burr trail and took it all the way to Escalante. We explored the Escalante area and did a few hikes. Spooky Gulch
I guess I should make a thread on our trip.. you guys are getting me excited to go back ot there again.

·
Registered
13,793 Posts
Oh my! What a wonderful exciting ride/trip, this must have been! Wow factor is above and beyond the scale I use!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts