TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this bike to use off road.. it’s small... low to the ground.. and has fat tires.. it’s literally perfect for the riding I’ll be doing on on my property...

I find the back tire isn’t to bad.. but the front trail wing isn’t the greatest...

I’ve done some research and I’m looking at a 120/90-18 soft Michelin Starcross

It’s very knobby

I’d also like to do the back tire but the options are limited it seems

Any fresh insight would be great.

·
Super Moderator
17,630 Posts
Welcome to The Forum! Take a look at a Shinko 241.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I put a Shinko 270 in a 510X18. This provided a nice wide ride and does well in loose ground. Not much luck for the rear but the stock tire but it does okay when a good front tire mounted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the input guys

I live in the most southern part of northern Ontario Canada

It is the wet season right now and that trailwing is not very good in wet leaves and greasy mud... The back tire is actually not to bad..

So now that you guys have me going in the right direction, I will do some more research into my options

Shinko 244 or the 241...

Any thought on the Kenda's?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I put a Shinko 270 in a 510X18. This provided a nice wide ride and does well in loose ground. Not much luck for the rear but the stock tire but it does okay when a good front tire mounted.
Mike,
So, you've got the 5.10 on the front. How's the clearance for anything up there? forks close? Fender? Anything?
Scott

·
Super Moderator
17,630 Posts
The Kenda is very similar to the 241 but just costs more.
thanks for the input guys

I live in the most southern part of northern Ontario Canada

It is the wet season right now and that trailwing is not very good in wet leaves and greasy mud... The back tire is actually not to bad..

So now that you guys have me going in the right direction, I will do some more research into my options

Shinko 244 or the 241...

Any thought on the Kenda's?

·
Super Moderator
17,630 Posts
Go with the 241. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
.....Any thought on the Kenda's?
On my 2010, I put a Kenda 270 in 120/80 18 on after 4,000 miles. It was great when new, both in the dirt and on pavement, but after about 6,000 miles it started to cup and produced noise and a less planted feel on pavement. I replaced it at 10,000 with the Shinko 241 which went 6,000 miles without even showing much wear. As far as performance in the dirt I could not tell the difference even though the Kenda looks more aggressive.
I put the 241 on both 2018s before they left the showroom....(the first 2018 was wrecked in a trailering accident).

I did not want a heavier tire in front, so the 244 in 5.10 was out. I swapped bikes with a friend who had the 244 for half an hour on gravel and decided I had made the right decision. YMMV.

·
Registered
77 Posts
On my 2010, I put a Kenda 270 in 120/80 18 on after 4,000 miles. It was great when new, both in the dirt and on pavement, but after about 6,000 miles it started to cup and produced noise and a less planted feel on pavement. I replaced it at 10,000 with the Shinko 241 which went 6,000 miles without even showing much wear. As far as performance in the dirt I could not tell the difference even though the Kenda looks more aggressive.
I put the 241 on both 2018s before they left the showroom....(the first 2018 was wrecked in a trailering accident).

I did not want a heavier tire in front, so the 244 in 5.10 was out. I swapped bikes with a friend who had the 244 for half an hour on gravel and decided I had made the right decision. YMMV.
We ran a 244 in the narrower 4.60x18 to keep the weight down - it worked well, but it, similar to the Kenda 270, began to wear unevenly after 4,000 miles. We're now 800 miles into a 4.00x18 241.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I had the 244 but now I run a 241 year round offroad in NS. Great tire. I have a ATV on the rear too and the shinko does great in and on anything. Even snow, mud, wet roots, sand..... It's lighter weight and easier to change then my previous tires.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought this bike to use off road.. it’s small... low to the ground.. and has fat tires.. it’s literally perfect for the riding I’ll be doing on on my property...

I find the back tire isn’t to bad.. but the front trail wing isn’t the greatest...

I’ve done some research and I’m looking at a 120/90-18 soft Michelin Starcross

It’s very knobby

I’d also like to do the back tire but the options are limited it seems

Any fresh insight would be great.

I put a Kenda 5.10x18 73P on the front. It's super sticky and DOT if that's a concern. I put a Duro power grip on the rear after I realized how much it was lacking after the front upgrade. 20191009_160221.jpg 20191009_160229.jpg 20191009_160247.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Get the Shinko SR 241. At first, it seemed to dip in to turns (on asphalt) faster than I was accustomed to, but after I got used to it, it was a blast. The tires are pretty soft and grippy on road and offroad they are simply amazing - so much so that I was inspired to email the company to ask why they weren't making the same tire in the big fat rear size. Despite their softness, at 6000 miles (many on the highway between 60 and 65) I saw very little wear. I'm sure airing up to max psi whenever I went back onto asphalt helped this.

Take what I have to say about the 244 with a grain of salt: I'm running a different size than that used on the tw front, on a different bike, and in a different position. I have a 244 golden boy on the rear of my klx250 (I think it may have 3 or 4 more hp than the tw) and it's almost gone after 1500 miles. I even took note, one night, at how I could still see a little bit of the slits in the centers of the knobs and then after only 8 miles on the highway the knob surfaces were worn completely smooth - not a trace of the slits remained. Similar to the tw, I always ran max psi when on asphalt, but perhaps the soft compound of these tires just doesn't last as long when used in the rear where the tire experiences all the forces of acceleration and engine breaking. Despite this, I still may get another 244 for my klx's rear - it simply holds traction so well offroad and onroad it grips way more than it needs to for such a light bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I ended up getting the Kenda 270...

the 241 is special order and costs more for me and the 244 seemed more street oriented than the Kenda

Ullr..

Did you have to mod anything to get that Duro on the back?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts