TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking for a Merc 9.9 four stroke for use on my drift boat. I called the local Merc dealer and he said it was 2400.00(roughly) but he could shave those numbers down a bit. Yesterday I went in and looked at the motor and he gave me a price of 2140,00. So I buy it. I'm making the assumption that it's a 2017. When I get home I notice on the paperwork that it's a 2015. I know that mechanically there's no difference but I can't help but be a bit irritated that he didn't disclose the age given that it was 3 years old. I'm also equally irritated at myself for being a bonehead and making the assumption instead of asking. I'm thinking It will only matter if I were to resale it in 4 or 5 years it might make a difference on how much I could get for it. On the other hand, the hours on the motor are probably the most important factor when it's being resold I would guess. I'm thinking that if I knew it was a 2015 model I probably would have requested a larger reduction in the cost (maybe 2000 even).

Anyway, I'd be curious to hear the opinion of others on this.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Super Moderator
5,153 Posts
Not sure whether an outboard gets “registered” as the date of manufacture, or the date of sale – especially if there is no difference in the model

An interesting point though – perhaps a “gentle” word with the salesman ? …….

·
Registered
4,170 Posts
I bought a 9.9 Johnson 2 stroke in 1985 to run on my 16 ft Jonboat. 33 years and it’s still going strong and believe me I have put some hours on it. I’ll pass it down like a family hairloom.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
It's not a big deal at all. Yamaha actually stopped giving the models year designations. If you ever sell it your bill of sale will be the year of the engine. Other manufacturers are doing the same. Unless there was a significant change in that year it will not affect your resale value.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, you're probably right. I should just get it out on the river, forget about it and enjoy the motor.

Thanks for the responses,

Cheers!

It's not a big deal at all. Yamaha actually stopped giving the models year designations. If you ever sell it your bill of sale will be the year of the engine. Other manufacturers are doing the same. Unless there was a significant change in that year it will not affect your resale value.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I was just going to post, those motors are very long lived except in salt water. With identical maintenance if only ever used in fresh water I bet you would double the life. I have owned numerous Johnson/Evinrude kicker motors from 3 HP up through 18 HP, all were two strokes and all were pretty much bullet proof. Just replace the impellers every few years and the lower unit lube and they run for ever as long as you don't use ethanol gas in them. Too bad a lot of states are outlawing these older engines because they can be smoke dragons with the 2 stroke fuel mix.

GaryL

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
I was just going to post, those motors are very long lived except in salt water. With identical maintenance if only ever used in fresh water I bet you would double the life. I have owned numerous Johnson/Evinrude kicker motors from 3 HP up through 18 HP, all were two strokes and all were pretty much bullet proof. Just replace the impellers every few years and the lower unit lube and they run for ever as long as you don't use ethanol gas in them. Too bad a lot of states are outlawing these older engines because they can be smoke dragons with the 2 stroke fuel mix.

GaryL
I have a 5.5 hp and a 7.5 hp Johnson from '54 and '57. Great running engines and rock solid reliable.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I have a 5.5 hp and a 7.5 hp Johnson from '54 and '57. Great running engines and rock solid reliable.
Yup! The 1954 is just two years younger than me and probably runs way better! We found an 18 HP Johnson at the bottom of our lake while snorkeling. Me and my brother fished it out with the transom still attached and it took us two days to get it back running perfect. We put it on a 13 foot aluminum row boat rated for a maximum of 9.9 HP and had a blast until the owner who lost it came to get it back. Our Dad made us give it back to him but the guy was pretty well off and gave us each $50 for fishing it out and getting it running. Wow did that motor push our little row boat to some wild speeds.

GaryL

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
When I was about 10 years old my Dad made me an 8' pram rated for 3 hp max engine. I put a 5.5 Evinrude Zephyr on it (no neutral and rope start) and that little boat skipped across the water like a stone and I thought I was doing about 90 mph.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
When I was about 10 years old my Dad made me an 8' pram rated for 3 hp max engine. I put a 5.5 Evinrude Zephyr on it (no neutral and rope start) and that little boat skipped across the water like a stone and I thought I was doing about 90 mph.
That is where the 18 HP we found came from. The guy built a little mushroom shaped hydroplane from plans in popular mechanic. I guess he didn't brace the transom enough or used way too much engine for the design. He said one minute he was going close to 60 and next thing the engine was gone.

GaryL

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
That is where the 18 HP we found came from. The guy built a little mushroom shaped hydroplane from plans in popular mechanic. I guess he didn't brace the transom enough or used way too much engine for the design. He said one minute he was going close to 60 and next thing the engine was gone.

GaryL
I could see the transom flexing but it never broke. In just a couple of years I grew and gained weight and the little boat never again planed like it did in the beginning. Good memories.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I could see the transom flexing but it never broke. In just a couple of years I grew and gained weight and the little boat never again planed like it did in the beginning. Good memories.
Good memories for sure Elime and I am soon to be 66 and can't believe I have not killed myself from all the dumb stuff I have done along the way.

GaryL

1 - 20 of 25 Posts