TW200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello TW Forum,
I just picked up an 87 TW with 8000 miles. It seems like it was really well taken care of. I've put about 60 miles on it and it Runs good. The guy I bought it from just had the carb rebuilt and changed the oil. It seems pretty tight.
Any advice or things I should check before I take it on some trips to the hills?
Thanks,
TN
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
445 Posts
Many have reported issues with the CDI on that year, also it is a one off year. The wiring is different from any othe year TW. Don't get scared off though, there are a good number of our members riding around on them still.

Ride it and love it, it's a T-Dub.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,051 Posts
I have two '87s and they run just fine (knock on wood).

The only advice I can give is keep the chain clean and oiled, change the oil regularly (I clean my oil filter every 5K miles and reuse it), and keep the valves adjusted. This will take care of 80% of your maintenance. The other 20% is everything else like tire pressure, brake, clutch cable adjustment, etc. Also put a small fuel filter between the tank and carb. Other than that, have fun!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Being a 26 year old bike, I would surely check all of the vital rubber parts and replace as needed. Even one of my 2004 TWs had a cracked fuel line that was seeping. Just my .02
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Hello TW Forum,
I just picked up an 87 TW with 8000 miles. It seems like it was really well taken care of. I've put about 60 miles on it and it Runs good. The guy I bought it from just had the carb rebuilt and changed the oil. It seems pretty tight.
Any advice or things I should check before I take it on some trips to the hills?
Thanks,
TN
I have an '87 with 13,000 miles and had to replace the CDI, so that may fail, but why worry now? Otherwise I like it better than my '04...the different carb and front shoe brakes give it a slightly different feel that I prefer off road and it seems slightly lighter and more fun to throw around, but I've never weighed them so that's probably my imagination. The real issue you have to take seriously when going off road is the small TW gas tank---be sure to keep track of your mileage if venturing far from gas stations or consider carrying extra gas or buy a larger tank..This forum is great for info!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
I also had to replace my CDI box. Other than the yamaha parts guy looking at me like i had 2 heads because the bike was older than him... it wasnt bad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips everyone.
In your experience do the CDIs start acting up before they give up totally?
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top