TW200 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
鈥婽hanks Tommy, pretty impressive. I do like to fool around with things, but that is pretty high tech. Here is a couple of pictures when I was still playing around with powering my kayak. The top picture is my first try with my yard blower. Made the mistake of launching at a public boat launch. The boat seemed to attract a few folks. Got to listen to them chuckling for about 5 minutes cause the system was inefficient and slow. The water pump one below worked much better. Having learned a lesson from the public launch, this test was in 'private'. I then graduated to a modified 'weed wacker'. That worked the best of all.

Registered
Where is the jet? I only see electric powered ducted fans in the link.

So Gerry, I too have fooled around with various kayak propulsive experiments from loud 2-stroke outboards and 28cc weedwackers driving high speed propellors, gas and electric water pump failed experiments and finally settled on quite submerged electric outboards turning large propellors at relatively slow speeds. A 55lb thrust Minn Kota with radio frequency switched MOSFET speed controllers make good donors for custom kayak outboards, plenty of power to tow a pair of kayaks, or canoe with camp gear and dogs, fight afternoon upwinds through moderate swells, or play ice-breaker knifing through an inch of rotten ice. Model airplane propellors with higher pitch can yield higher speeds but are not as resistant to weed fouling.
I too conducted my experiments away from laughing crowds....it all started when I would use my weedwacker powered model boat to tow me in an inflatable kayak to some remote small islands to then race around.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts