TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
So I just picked up my '18 TDub and I think the dealer didn't prep it very well. There is a lot of play in the clutch lever, and the brake pedal is really slack. Is this normal for them to make delivery like that? Simple adjustments I know, but frustrating on a brand new bike.

What are y'alls thoughts?

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
Welcome to the forum Gorilla!

I would say that is pretty typical for dealers these days. They seem to be notorious for not connecting the clutch return spring down on the engine properly. Someone will be along soon with a picture for you.

Brian

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
O yeah, Welcome to the forum!! :p

Reactions: gorilla33

·
Registered
106 Posts
When I brought mine home I had the same thing. Clutch was horrible. You can down load the manual from the site here and it's a pretty quick and simple adjustment. After taking delivery of mine I never took it back to the dealer. I like wrenching on my stuff, and seeing their work I'm glad I do. Dealers in my area pay by the job to the mechanics based off of "Book Rates". If a job is "Book Rated" at 1.5 hours and the guy gets it done in 45 minutes he can move on to the next and not loose anything. To me it creates an environment for rushed work. Never good. There are good wrench jockeys and careless ones, just like good or bad Doctors. When you are the Doctor, you know exactly the quality of the work done.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Depends on the dealer.
I have a terrible opinion of the Las Vegas Triumph/Moto Guzzi dealer,but a very high opinion of Las Vegas Yamaha.
I asked if they could get my Honda for me!

My 2017 TW200 was set-up perfect, although I was advised of the need to adjust the mixture which was done within a few minutes of getting it home (18 miles).

Most of my other bikes needed some further "set-up" to suit me, including lever travel adjustment, perch angle, shifter location, etx.
Only a few minutes to get it comfortable.

Reactions: gorilla33

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I'm suppose to use the clutch??
Not needed when you catch neutral as you are slowing to a stop, but helpful when leaving from a stop, especially on hard surfaces!:D

Reactions: scotti158

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi guys, the clutch spring was mounted properly. I wound up adjusting the clutch lever, it had way too much play. Again, thanks for the info!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same problem with my new '18.
I went over the bike when I got it and everything was set-up correctly, the dealer I go to seems to do good work.
The problem was after my first ride, things loosened up.
The clutch cable stretched and the rear brake went from 1" to 2 inches, I don't know what happened.
I reset everything and lubed the clutch cable and all pivot points which seemed to help.
At 500 miles the clutch is just starting to act normal.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm suppose to use the clutch??

Quote of the year so far...:D

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Wow...if they can't hook up your clutch (which can be done by feel without measuring to spec if you're familiar with them as they should be) then be very careful that they sell you the correct oil filter despite what it may say on the box. It's very very common and can ruin your engine.

If on the other hand you don't plan on using your clutch then feel free to ship it to me and I'll be sure to give it the abuse it deserves.;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts