TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19,551 Posts
lol Flathats, thought you were talking about break-in for new (virginal) air-rifle, although I did shoot spitwads at virgins back when I was a virgin kid too.
Those Benjamins are both highly rated. And the .22 caliber is good for hunting.
I personally toy with a RWS Dana 34 in .177 for long range plinking and light varmitting. A spring-air break barrel model, it is very sensitive to one's hold. If I were to do it over I would get the pneumatic rather than metal spring to avoid the twisting torque and double recoil of the unwinding metal spring.
However when in the groove with a consistent hold and a heavy dome shaped pellet I have impressed myself. The 12 power scope makes the groups look a little big untill I walk up for a closer look. Wadcutters tend to wander off target after about 15 yards and the hard alloy light pellets miss terribly at longer ranges. Possibly they lose stability as they slow down to transonic speeds downrange? My gun likes the heaviest pellet I have found.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This break in is going to be aggravating....thought hard about a RWS....but decided I would lose my virginity on a lower end rifle....after about 50 rounds I can shoot better groups with my suppressed Browning Buckmark....

·
Registered
814 Posts
The light hard alloy pellets come out of the barrel unstable. It is because they are sonic and not good at it.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
I use them for practice when I am BBQ'ing and on the Outdoor channel the air gunner show the guys take's down game you would take with a .22cal rimfire. get a trap box and you will not believe the ammo for a pellet gun it is a blast. 10712113_10203724219138056_1717793860_o.jpg my pistol and trap box.

·
Registered
19,551 Posts
Yeah, I saw them use one of of those .50 cal Chinese Dragons pre-charged pneumatics to hunt wild boar successfully. I'll stick to punching little holes in cat food cans though and continue to buy my bacon at the market as I hear those boars can be hard to put down.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Remember wash your hands you don't want lead poisoning.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I've just got a couple of cheap ones....a .177 Nitro Venom and a .22 Benjamin Titan GP Nitro. I changed out the triggers with GRT-III's and they shoot nice tight groups. I'd like to get a real good one someday but probably won't. I was watching some videos a while back showing some of the extremely accurate air guns hunting different critters . Amazing!

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I use them for practice when I am BBQ'ing and on the Outdoor channel the air gunner show the guys take's down game you would take with a .22cal rimfire. get a trap box and you will not believe the ammo for a pellet gun it is a blast. View attachment 10040 my pistol and trap box.
Same Crossman pistol I have. Cheap, powerful, (for a pistol), and a hoot to shoot. I have the rifle stock, scope mounts, and the silhouettes. Lots of silhouettes. The chicken is about the size of a dime and the pistol is definitely capable of being fired from a standing position and taking out chickens at 50 feet. WI've hung a few old furniture pads on the wall in the shop for a backstop, a few more draped over boxes of stuff and furniture people have asked to store, and it's a blast to set up silhouettes all over the terrain thus created for the kids to hunt.

BBs are brass or brass plated steel and will bounce of steel or wood objects. I don't allow BBs around me as I've had an ear pierced by a BB. Pellets are soft lead and don't generally bounce, they expand and fall to the ground when they can't pierce. Much safer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts