TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my 74 FJ40 last week and just bought a 98 TW200 with 2400 miles yesterday and am about to start on the process of getting it up and running. Got a new battery and got the bike to run rough with the choke out for about 10 seconds. Planning on rebuilding or cleaning the carb and need some advice on a carb rebuild kit and any other advice for a new owner bringing back an older bike. I am new to working on motorcycles so any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.

Questions
-what carb kit?
-what other maintenance should I take care of?
- What gremlins should I look out for?

Here is the bike....

image.jpeg

·
Registered
261 Posts
No advice, but welcome to the board! You've selected a tough critter - it should come back just fine! I like the color too lol.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Sold a four wheeled Land Cruiser and bought a two wheeled one. Nice! If ever there was a motorbike that could be considered equivalent, the TW is it. Slow, bulletproof, unstoppable and dead reliable. Well done!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice guys. I got the carb off and am waiting for a rebuild kit to come in. I ordered from procycle. I also found a pretty major oil leak coming from a bolt on the left side of the case. I also noticed gasket maker on every bolt head on the case so I think I may be ordering a gasket for that as well. Pics of terrible oil leak fix to follow.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Running rough with the choke out for 10 seconds? What happened after that? Some of these require a long warm up period depending on altitude and jetting. Depending on your answer to the question it just might be ok with the suggested Seafoam treatment.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The bike rand with choke out but died out once the choke was in. I already pulled the carb and ordered new jets and gaskets so i am going to have to wait until the parts come in to put everything together but now my attention is turning to the oil leak from the left side cover. I am going to pull it tonight and upload some pics.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Ok. Hopefully the new jets do the trick. When I first bought mine, I had to leave the choke on a long long time before it would idle with the choke in. I finally started riding it with the choke half way in so it would warm up faster. Once warm, it would idle but the throttle could not be opened quickly without a bog indicating a lean idle mixture.

I did a lot more than new jets. I made certain the circuits to the three little holes at the slide, or is it two on the TW, were completely clear. And made certain the air jets at the intake were clear.

Nothing helped. Had the idle screw out 4 1/2 turns. That helped but not enough.

I finally went to a #45 idle jet and now all is well. Idle screw is out at about 1 1/2 at 7K feet.

The only thing I can think of that could have caused my problem/solution is that someone did something to enlarge the idle air jet. Either at the factory or by a previous owner.

I had a 1976 IT250 that came from the factory with an IT 400 needle jet. Talk about jetting hassles!

Moral of the story: Gotta look at every possibility on a used bike. Ya just never know. New bike can be same deal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How long did you run it with the choke out? I would try and drive it with the choke half way out but the spring automatically pulls it in when I let go. Also, when I have the choke out and open up the throttle their is no change in idle speed. Is that related to the idle screw or is it a whole other issue?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Choke out only 1/2 to 1/3. Mine doesn't pop closed with the spring. I'd ride about a half mile or so down the dirt road. Like riding around the block. It warms up pretty quick riding. Then all'd be ok if I didn't whack the throttle too hard.

If you open the throttle and nothing happens, that's strange. If the slide in the carb is actually going up, then you have a larger hole in the intake venturi for more air to come in. It ought to cough, speed up, die, something.

Mine is a '99 so I know you're supposed to have the same carb as mine. If it was a later model CV carb I'd wonder if your slide was sticking or gumed up. But if you've got the manually activated slide with the original carb, I'm now wondering if your carb cable is broken somewhere.

I have no other theory for an engine not responding in some way to the slide being raised.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts