TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to quickly introduce myself, I just purchased my first Bike and I've had my eye set on the TW for a while.

I'm an expat living abroad in Hong Kong and ever since I landed I noticed a lot of these "naked yamaha's with big fat tires" I thought they looked sexy right from the get go, after doing a bit of research I've found there is a real cult following for these bikes world wide, including HK but real big in Japan.

I finally took the time to get my Bike licenses here as i'm tired of running public transport - in HK owning a car is very expensive, mostly due to parking but you can park a bike for free.

I piked up a 2002 from the second HK owner, from what I can tell it was imported from Japan in 05, and it has 22k on it. It has a few mods including fenders ripped off, rear break light replaced and new exhaust (sounds good). I hope over the next 6 months i can tune the bike up a bit more to make her special.

I plan to put new tires on next week - Bridgestone 203/204 as the current bike has a mismatch front a rear. I've browsed the forum and for road use I hear these should be best bet, however slightly slippery in the rain? (please comment if you feel differently)

Next Mods:

- Remove all plastic

- Remove bulky TW emblems from gas tank and repaint

- Fix rear of the bike to move signals and break lights closer to the back of seat

- change rear suspension (potentially the blaster shock) I'm 6'4 so I think this would be a nice mod. (if anyone has a shock/kit they want to sell please PM me)

- Paint or replace handlebars as they are slightly worm. (not rusted but looking a bit corroded)

- replace or remove plastic boots from front forks (one is cracked)

Anyhow, Stay tuned and I look forward to participating in the forum over the next 6 months.

Nerk

By boardatwork at 2012-05-01

By boardatwork at 2012-05-01

·
Registered
453 Posts
pm'd u back - with an address..

yes those 203/204 are prettty bad in the rain..

the knobblies I mentioned seem just as good or bad...

I think you might be able to get shinko here - but everywhere I went said the 203/204 werent here any more .. ( that may or may not be true )

nut as I said the knobblies are going ok..

I did want road tires actually an perhaps you can order on line if u cant get thru the local lingo

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dub,

Just wanted to say a quick thank you, you've been a bike help so far!

·
Registered
453 Posts
no worries! I'm motorbike mad!

since you wont have your bike for another 2 weeks then perhaps consider getting these shipped over..

has any one else used the battlewing's?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/395/44669/ITEM/Bridgestone-Battle-Wing-BW502-F-Rear-Tire.aspx?SiteID=CSE_Nextag_44669&WT.mc_ID=80005&zmam=88421133&zmas=1&zmac=4&zmap=44669

the shinko's look good as well for street riding... I heard them mentioned a few times up here if you look for tire threads.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/29/393/20396/ITEM/Shinko-705-Series-Dual-Sport-Front-Tire.aspx?SiteID=CSE_Nextag_20396&WT.mc_ID=80005&zmam=88421133&zmas=1&zmac=4&zmap=20396

or get you g/f to look on and see if they are locally - cos I asked a 2 or 3 places ( but not the yamaha dealer??) and could only get the TW34's - which as I have said do feel better than a worn out tw203/204 combo.. ( is that

http://ibike.com.hk/

yamaha dealer

http://www.ibike.com.hk//02_market/yamaha/07_web/index.htm

see if she can find you a set.

If she does let me know where! cheers!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll be on a beach in the Philippines for the next week and a half, not much will get done till I'm back. I'll let you know how my hunt goes!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Welcome to the TW forum.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So with my busy schedule I was able to finally pick up my TW200 yesterday.. It was located near the China Border in Yuen Long while i live on Hong Kong Island.. about a 1 hour drive. I had a few friends join to escourt me home... It was my first real ride on real roads - all is good and my baby sits in her new parking spot..

She ran well, a few minor things I noticed that makes me want to get it in for a tune up. After i parked her i could smell a bit of burning oil. I'm not sure if its because it sat for a few weeks with out being driven!? or should i be worried about something more serious?

I can sure relate to dubstep with the sloppy roads here in HK. I need to get some new rubbers on her ASAP!

·
Registered
453 Posts
probably advisable to keep an eye on the oil level for the first month - see what it is burning off..

how does the oil look in the inspection window? is it brand new oil?

as its HK I bet there's no service history in the TW price range

honestly for tires I think the TW302 are great for roads..

according to the Bridgestone site they are designed for road use and wet road use too..

so they are knobblie - but if you look at the knobbles there are way more than a "proper" off road tire.. so I think of them as road tires with extra sized tread

looking at your pipe I think off road isnt gonna happen.. so you can try shinko's if you can find them they *may* be better as 100% road tire... but honestly I feel pretty good with 302's on the streets,,, and on my Honda CRM250 I'm pretty aggressive on them..

Owen Motorcycle - ( 2398 1411 ) the corner of Nam Cheong Street and ferry street Sham Shui po - they will fit inside an hour.. if I remember it was around HK$ 1900 for front and back..

else try the Yam dealer for TW203/204? lemme know ho you get on

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks dub, its good to hear from you. I had a friend recommend a shop in quarry bay that will install the 203/204 combo for 2500 or 3K if I need tubes? It will take one day to order the tire so plan is to go monday.

Hearing 1900 installed on the 302 has we wondering - do you think the 203 should be the same price!?

I'm going to have the shop do a full inspection / fluid flush also. Start fresh on all fluids.

·
Registered
453 Posts
+1 on fluid change! you mean oil for sure but brake fluid?

I changed the brake fluid on "mine" - and it was amazing - cos the soft feel of the brakes was probably down to the fluid having lots of water in it!!!!

some people recommend a new chain when you get a bike as well - since you dont know how long that one has been on for..

maybe ride it a bit - see how your sprockets are?

dont really know but gut instinct says 2500 for the 203/204 a bit pricey? I got a new set of Bridgestone S20 hypersports for 2900 fitted? ( for my honda 600 )

the 302's were definitely under 2000 a set.

personally i think the 203/204 combi looks better tho - ie suit the style of the bike?

altho saying that - I really didnt like the 203 front tire on wet roads - could be that it was an old wore tire?? ... but the 302's do actually feel good on road IMHO

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
100% oil, i'll see what the shop says about break lines... the breaks felt okay.

Great, now i'm right confused - i love the look of the 203/204 but i need safety and traction... i need to ask around to see if 301/302 are much better in when then 203/204!! I've posted on the FB group - i hope someone can help.

I don't mind paying a little more for 203/204 but 500-1000k seems a lot!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Nerk and Dub,

I've been reading this topic cause I'm also the lucky owner of a TW here in HK.

Nerk, your bike looks great, how is the tuning going on ?

I just bought mine a few months ago, it was also imported from japan in 2002.

It's mounted with TW203/204 tires, but they have some cracks so I figured it's a good idea to replace them. The shops I have visited so far only have the TW31/34 but I'd prefer to stick with the 203/204.

Do you know any shop providing those ?

Thanks !

Pierre

·
Registered
572 Posts
The Shinko 428 tires are great. Good for on or off road. Just air down for off road. Stay away from mud though; all though they will eventually get you through. I don't have any sand around to try them in; so I can't say about that. They really shine on road. You gotta know though; that most of my years of riding; whether on or off road was done using "universals" like Dunlop K70's or Pirelli's MT32 front and rear. I would love to have a set for my TW, but they are no longer available. JMO

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Pierre,

Congrats on the bike... I also wanted the 203/204, however Dub and a few other people talked me out of them... after riding around HK for a bit I would agree, the roads when wet are crazy slippery.... also the 203/204 are a bit more expensive, I know they are around but not as common...

You can check up on my bike progress here:

http://tw200forum.com/index.php?/topic/5079-low-budget-hollow/

I've put far too much money into it, but it has been a real joy to drive around..

Nerk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for your answers,

Nerk your bike looks great, I really like the 'all black' look.

For the tires I have tried several bike shops, around Tai Kok Tsui, Sham Shui Po, To Kwa Wan, they all call the Bridgestone dealer and tell me the TW203/204 are not available, only the TW31/34.

Even checked on the Yamaha shop on Prince Edward Road West today, the guy told me the 203/204 is discontinued from Bridgestone, which I find hard to believe since its not indicated on their website...

Since I mostly ride for leisure, I'll avoid going out on wet roads, the 203/204 seem more suitable for road than the 31/34... and I also prefer their look.

I haven't asked for the Shinko 428 yet but will try in the coming weeks.

Cheers.

Here's a picture of my bike when I bought it, I already removed the ugly cup holder on the handle bar, and the kind of metal support above the front light.

My link

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I love the bike! Nice oil cooler too! I was parked close to a similar bike in Shek Kip Mei on the weekend, that wasnt you was it?

What did you pay for it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ahah thanks, no it was not me in Shek Kip Mei this weekend. I saw several bikes tuned in the same way as mine in HK already.

I've paid it 12.5k..

·
Registered
453 Posts
out on wet roads, the 203/204 seem more suitable for road than the 31/34... and I also prefer their look.

I haven't asked for the Shinko 428 yet but will try in the coming weeks.

Cheers.

Here's a picture of my bike when I bought it, I already removed the ugly cup holder on the handle bar, and the kind of metal support above the front light.

My link

bike looks nice!

know what u mean about the looks - but actually I started to prefer the Trailwings now! not that I buy tires on the way they look..........

those 203/4 were horrible in the wet..

according to the bridgestone site the Trailwings are a motocross "look" road tire... I had them on my CRM as well - and frankly they are not a good offroad tire! ( i run M603 /604 - but next time will try ED03/04 since they are road legal )

the Trailwings are good wet and dry, and seem to last pretty well!

if u really want the 203/204 u can always order off the net an pay HK$200 to have them fitted.. or buy tire irons and DIY

1 - 20 of 24 Posts