TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been on the forum awhile now. I would guess, my 'strengths' are likely to be my unique approach to modding and as well, my willingness to provide encouragement and recognition.

Sometimes I find myself very frustrated with those that simply show-up, proudly proclaim they purchased some prehistoric model for cheap and now would like 'us' to help them with turning it into a KTM or Rokon. After the '30 questions' they are gone, or so it seems.

Over the years I have been here, there have been a modest number of folks that have given us all a Great Deal. To those folks, I would like to say "Thanks so much". In my opinion, the world only works because of people like you. It is a good thing that the planet rotates on it's own as it seems there are far more folks inclined to enjoy the benefits of gravity, than would be likely to work to sustain it.....

I realize that some of those that ask of us, give back else where. To you folks, I say thanks, and sorry for the mis-understanding.

To the rest, I am inclined to say; give a little more thought to giving first before you start asking of others.

Perhaps I need to adjust my thinking, likely as not, those that I find myself frustrated with simply don't get-it. Gerry

·
Registered
423 Posts
Sometimes I find myself very frustrated with those that simply show-up, proudly proclaim they purchased some prehistoric model for cheap and now would like 'us' to help them with turning it into a KTM or Rokon. After the '30 questions' they are gone, or so it seems.

Gerry

You must have seen my post about the 87 I just got

Now I feel like a dick for asking this forum for help...

I'm more than happy to offer my opinions and advice from experience but I don't feel like I have much useful information to contribute until I learn a little...

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I think, as mentioned above, the case is just some know more than others. I mean, I use a handful of math formulas every day that someone, at some point, actually sat down and spent a hell of a lot of time figuring out. I don't contribute to the math community at all.

Providing knowledge is a thankless job, often.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TeeDubs. Your post did not look familiar. To me, the fact that you did not start off suggesting that I was an 'asshole' indicates to me that you are concerned. As such, I suspect you will be far less inclined to simply take what you need and leave without giving something back.

Every thing that is provided here costs someone LOTS of time and likely more than a couple of bucks. It may seem "free", but to go for a quick ride is one thing, spending the time to strap on your camera so you can show your snowed in 'Friends' how much fun can be had after the thaw can be an annoying delay, but a fun "contribution".

All I want to say is; remember when you have been given something and make an effort to return the favor. If not here, somewhere else.... Thanks for your concern. Gerry

·
Registered
423 Posts
I definitely appreciate everything I get from here and hope at somepoint I can help somebody with something I've already gone through

I think most of us here just enjoy helping others and getting our fix on this TW addiction

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I definitely appreciate everything I get from here and hope at somepoint I can help somebody with something I've already gone through

I think most of us here just enjoy helping others and getting our fix on this TW addiction

TEE DUBS, given the scope of your project, you have the potential to "Offer Alot". Jot down those 'ah ha' moments and post lots of pictures for those that will surely follow. Thanks. Gerry

·
Registered
165 Posts
A cheap old motorcycle that needs a ton of work is no bargain. Could it be that people show up here out of desperation and disappear after they have given up?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm here to learn about TWs... TW adventures... and hopefully make some new friends... maybe attend some TW gatherings or meet some local TW owners/riders... I wish I knew enough about the mechanics of the TW to add something more meaningful to the threads...

·
Registered
157 Posts
A cheap old motorcycle that needs a ton of work is no bargain.

That is precisely why I bought a slightly used 2008 and a new 2009. I know I lack the skill set (and the tools) to do a rebuild... I'll be doing good when I feel comfortable doing my own routine maintenance...

·
Registered
423 Posts
TEE DUBS, given the scope of your project, you have the potential to "Offer Alot". Jot down those 'ah ha' moments and post lots of pictures for those that will surely follow. Thanks. Gerry

So far it's just been "uh oh" moments but it's a work in progress for me. I just like to tinker

Since the topic is venting my biggest peev is when people start a post asking a question that's already been discussed in 100000 other threads.......

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Goosfraba! This is an awesome forum thanks to a few of you OLD GEZZERS and some others. Most forums i have been a member of have been a short romance and then i forgot about them. Not so with this one. Ive been here for over a year and i still get on here about everyday to see something new or hear a funny comment! I was watching craigslist like a hawk for a nice xr650L or dr650 when i stumbled across an ad for a a tw200. Whats a tw200 look like i thought. So i googled tw200 review and thanks to this sight and advrider i had to go look at it. I grew up on atv's and motorcross bikes and ive always wanted a bike i could actually ride without falling over at every low spot "im 5'5"-5'6" and be able to do most of the same trails i ride atvs on. So i went and test rode it and i new it was over "i had to have it" so i bought it. I have fell in love with this little creature. I dont miss the power of my road bike at all. I actually like not being able to ride 100mph. It helps keep me out of trouble and alive. I started out with adding new tires/tubes then new chain and sprockets, then ohh i have to get the bigger pegs and some barkbusters. Well that lasted a few weeks, then it was ah i need a cyclerack, a little later i had to have a skid plate and a decent front tire for going riding out west. Ok i thought that was it but now im looking at a bigger tank. I see people who are mechanically retarded and people who are very mechanically inclined post on this forum and that is what its all about. Anyways i just want to thank everyone on this forum for your experience/wisdom/ideas/custom mods and smart ass comments!

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Gerry, Check out the oil filter thread on the vulcan forum.

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23296

if you want to hear the inmates frustrated with redundant questions. In this case its what oil filter to buy. Its a good example of how humor can absolve us all from the tedium that dealing with frustrating folks can cause.

My strategy on forums has always been 1. read alot before starting that thread. 2. try to use the search function 3. and try to be flexible in the words I search on, because not everyone uses the same wording. The answer is there if you are willing to dig and not just cop out and say tell it to me because I'm too lazy to look.

Yes I'm frustrated when I try to help someone who's trying to get their bike running only to sell/gift them a part and see the bike for sale a few months later. I like the idea of a community spirit and membership being open, but have to acknowledge that folks tax our patience.

Hang in there old guy - we love and appreciate you. Tom

·
Registered
122 Posts
I’ll speak for myself—

If it were not for the feedback and ongoing technical discussions found on this form, I would not still be riding my TW. I started riding 2 years ago, and bought a TW because it was simple and sexy (much like I fancy myself). But what about general maintenance, cleaning a motorcycle, changing the oil, replacing the sparkplug, or oiling chain? How would I know about the effects of ethanol in my gasoline? I did not even know there was oil in my fork…

This forum is composed for a group of very knowledgeable and kind men and women. Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hi Gerry,

I am not one to post a lot. I do read a lot. I for one would like to thank you, personally. You as well as a lot of other people on this forum have helped me work on my 94, more than any of you would know.

Since I have joined I have built a rear rack,put on a Clarke 2.7 gal. tank, new pillow top grips, tank bag, took my front rack off, and now in the process of building big foot pegs, a crutch for holding my bike up for repairs (thanks again Gerry), handle bar risers at 1.5".

I traded a 87 BW200 for my 94 TW200. This T-dub is going to be a ton of fun, and thanks to you and others on this forum, it is turning out to be more than I had could have asked for.

I do not have a photo sharing account (yet) or I would show a pic of the bike and myself with a big smile

So a BIG THANK YOU! To all on this forum That have given advise and let me read it.

Ken

·
Registered
918 Posts
Forums become an addiction to some. I would be guilty of that. I will check it on my phone and on the computer. I'm interested to know what the latest questions are, who's doing what and where, what the latest product is out there, who's tried to backyard engineer the impossible, who's stuffing a V8 in the TW, etc etc.

I will consume some of my evenings reading through multiple forums looking for ideas, looking for answers, looking for photos, looking for part numbers, etc. I don't have cable TV so the forums become my source of entertainment. Through 10 years of the stuff on multiple forums for multiple vehicles and toys you learn that forums hold a wealth of knowledge (more knowledge then the dealership can provide).

But along with that come people that aren't as interested in it as I am. And that's just fine. They simply have a problem and want to find a solution for it. They don't have the means, drive and/or the passion to take photos of their fix/ingenuity and post the solution. And that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

I think the frustration comes from the few posters that ask how to make 100 lbs out of 5 lbs (how to make 30hp out of the TW, how to install a larger engine, how to fit a 103 gallon gas tank, how to have their cake and eat it too) then get "offended" when the next 20 responses, coming from the "regulars", say it's impossible. The long-term posters have seen those questions before in the past, have even tried it themselves, or have at least seen the idea tried and already know the answer. But to that new poster it can seen as rude responses because they weren't taken seriously or given a descriptive answer as to why it won't work. Well, that happens on every forum. It's the nature of the beast. Someone's bright idea today was someone else's bright idea 5 years ago. Don't let those few bad eggs give you high blood pressure. It happens on every forum. Just don't be "that guy" when you sign-up for a different forum, pay it forward if you will.

All that said, this forum has been extremely civil. The small size of it helps out considerably. I don't even have my TW anymore, but I still enjoy adding and answering what I can to this forum. I enjoy the newbies and their excitement and ideas and hearing what the "old farts" are doing.

Venting is healthy, Gerry! I think just throwing it out there will spark a little passion in some others to give back and give "thanks".

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Don't let it get you down too much, Gerry. Just know that in the information age, forums are one of the greatest sources of information on a wealth of different topics, and you have been most instrumental in helping this one to be the one-stop-shop for TW200 goodness.

I just hope that people do not stoop to mere blind following of the advice of others. If this were the case I would have waited ages to find a "proper" CDI to fix my bike, rather than "adapting to the situation" and making the best out of the worst.

People offer what they can, but as in the rest of life, some people have nothing to offer that would interest you

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I looked and found my Tdub because of this forum. I've owned motorcycles for years and noticed one on Craigs list. Never had seen or heard of one before. Followed this forum for awhile before I finally found a nice old one. Such a fun and simple bike that takes me back to my teenage days when I had a Kawi ke125. After that bike decided never get a 2 stroke again...lol. This is a great forum with some great guys/gals and have learned alot about these "so ugly that they are cool" bikes. Met a few cool guys (bill and josh) for my first group ride and hope to meet more soon. Your always going to get the fly by types and I just ignore them if its a question that has been answered over and over. Or just tell them to try a search on this forum. I have only one question for this great forum. What's the best motor oil to use?

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
What's the best oil you ask? No..I will not get sucked into another oil question. I got flamed on another forum for questioning the use of the forum favorite. Sorry.. perhaps someone else will stick their neck out. Not me!!

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Knowlege of accurate information kept to oneself ends with oneself. I remain convinced that for every terd there are 10,000 non-terdz who can make proper use of it at some point even if we're all long dead when the light finally comes on.

Conversely that means that 10,000 people have potentially either benefitted from or at least not been harmed by your input for every terd. Not bad odds.

I'm reminded of an old slogan from The Bumper Sticker Age which postulates that "Everyone who comes here is a source of joy. Some by staying, others by leaving".

I would remind you that your BICYCLING accomplishments alone add up to more than 9,500 of the 10,000 will ever acheive on two wheels and you have more "firsts" in the TW modding world than any among of us can claim because you had the 'nads to tackle problems head-on rather than jabber on about them.

Keep providing solutions and doin' what you do best, Gerry. Yer a breath of fresh air.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
What's the best oil you ask? No..I will not get sucked into another oil question. I got flamed on another forum for questioning the use of the forum favorite. Sorry.. perhaps someone else will stick their neck out. Not me!!
Was joking about the oil. I've seen a few threads about oil that go on and on and on....LOL.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts