TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.....and looked at Ol' Blue....Hoot has been neglectful to say the least....here we are {Gary L, Mel, Me, and Others?} 2 months away from our Big Bend get together in late April/Early May...Oh Hell let's call it May, since I won't be arriving until at least May 1st or 2nd....

Anyway the 2014 has been sitting in the garage this long winter{longest one in recent memory and still at least another month to go} and has not been started since December...in fact the 3 garage/outdoor cats have been hanging around it, one it at least appears has been using the seat for bed, when the weather is wet and muddy ;):(...Shame on me, but sometimes you let things go}.

I turn 70 in two weeks, March 16th to be exact....and regardless of your best thoughts, sometimes you just hibernate for much of the winter...and with the exception of doing a little work for Honda on occasion, I have been sitting around watching Hockey on the tube, drinking to many beers, and watching the Grandsons on occasion....wondering where my riding was headed...if at all....?

Anyhow, I decided to keep Ol Blue, but at the same time I was looking for a 4 Wheel Dual Sport as well, after all, even when I give up riding, I still need to get off road. So finally late last month I found one, at a dealer near Dayton, a 2009 X Jeep Wrangler that I wanted... less than 65,000 miles, one owner, 6 speed manual tranny, and only 2 doors...don't need no Soccer Mom Wrangler that costs $60,000 new...they have high resale value, but not that much. This one fits me, my budget, and, although I had not had a Wrangler in nearly 10 years, this one didn't take long getting used to....wife has her Altima, and I still have the Nitro and haul trailer....the Big Question Is:

Do I take the Jeep or haul the TW to Big Bend behind the Nitro? I know Mel is up to bringing 3 TWs on his trailer....so in the next weeks I have a decision to make...meanwhile one that I have to stick with is...I need to clean up the TW, put an new front tire on, and tune it up....but I'm slowly beginning to shake off the winter and after a trip to the VA down in Columbus next week, to make sure all is in order...I will get my old, nearly 70 year old, arse in gear and get ready for Texas....:p:cool:

The "New" {to me} Wrangler out at Windy Point on Frozen Grand Lake and Ol Blue the 2014 sitting in the garage in need of some TLC before Spring... and some 50 years ago in my first retro Wrangler ;)

View attachment Jeep at Windy Point 1.jpg Tw Dirty 2019.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have a Wrangler also...and love it! Mines a TJ. I have the 2 inch receiver in the rear and put one on the front - have carried the TW front and rear. Been using the Jeep a lot this winter - more than my Dub. Springs coming, but the snow will be around for quite a while.
Nice looking machines

·
Registered
463 Posts
Hoot Gibson, you are an inspiration to me as I won't be 65 until October so I'm still considered a pup by some around here at just 64! I totally love the look of your new Jeep and I assume that is you back in '69? If so thank you for your service! ....and not a bad pic at all, nice keep sake!

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hoot Gibson, you are an inspiration to me as I won't be 65 until October so I'm still considered a pup by some around here at just 64! I totally love the look of your new Jeep and I assume that is you back in '69? If so thank you for your service! ....and not a bad pic at all, nice keep sake!
Yea, that was my "Summer of 69" .... in the garden spot of Vietnam @ Nha Trang...next stop no so beach worthy, Saigon the next year....1970 :)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Rocky let me know when you get down this way. I’ve been planning on going out to the desert for the super bloom. Maybe we can meet up kinda my back yard.

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
When I get to Big Bend I am going to beat you with a stick for the neglect you have put on Old Blue! He looks like you rode him hard and put him away wet last fall. It looks to me like your drive is about 1800 miles one way and mine is 2150. Take the vehicle that is most comfortable over a long drive weather you bring that nasty looking bike or not. I will be in my 2016 4 Runner cruising along on cruise control with the XM cranking and my trusty co pilot by my side. She already knows some kind of road trip is coming as she watches me get the camping gear assembled. The very last thing any of us need is a break down on the road. Think we will all have a case of Major Assburn by the time we hit BB.

GaryL

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ol' Blue isn't as bad as it looks...sitting in the garage with the cats, snowblowers, and wife's wet Nissan...and the most snow outside in years. left Blue looking a little rough...New Battery, New {or the original "Death Wing"} front, and Blue will be ready to go...already has new chain, oil change and all else...as far as the Nitro or Jeep? Nitro is better for the long haul and it doubles as a sleeper...both vehicles have XM, and A/C so I'm about ready....but will be for sure by mid April :cool:: I think sad11:

·
Registered
8,298 Posts
Ol' Blue isn't as bad as it looks...sitting in the garage with the cats, snowblowers, and wife's wet Nissan...and the most snow outside in years. left Blue looking a little rough...New Battery, New {or the original "Death Wing"} front, and Blue will be ready to go...already has new chain, oil change and all else...as far as the Nitro or Jeep? Nitro is better for the long haul and it doubles as a sleeper...both vehicles have XM, and A/C so I'm about ready....but will be for sure by mid April :cool:: I think sad11:
OK, so I will just beat you with a small twig. :D I guess which vehicle you take will depend on the load you bring and the capacity you need. I have not been in a Jeep X so don't know how they are on a long travel drive. Snow here has not been too bad this winter but it is snowing here now and will continue right through Monday with 8-10 inches predicted and then we get another bitter cold snap for the rest of the week down in single digits. I finally got a real nice day yesterday to get out and do some ice fishing. About 30 degrees and no wind at all and the fish actually cooperated. Fresh trout for dinner tonight.

Trout March 1-19.JPG

GaryL

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Hoot, I don't know you but I respect, appreciate and THANK you for for your military service and that "Summer of '69"...

I had my prior service deferment by then and spent my "Summer of '69" trying to kill myself on a new Kawasaki H1 500cc 3-cyl. 2-stroke. Damn thing tried to kill me every time I rode it!

Glad we both survived, especially you.
You earned it!

I've been to Big Bend many times. We tent camped up in the Basin on the motorcycle road trips, RV camped on a bud's place near Terlingua and in the park.
Rode sport-touring bikes in the area a lot, ATVs a little, no dirt bikes, dammit! I have several buddies whose ashes are spread or cached in various places there. Part of mine will go there too, one of these days.

One special buddy, ol' grouchy Nick, had a glass eye. He had a special spot he loved to camp at my bud's place, on a mountain top where you could see forever.
When he died (of orneriness, we think!), we ended up with his eye.
We had to use ropes to get up there to his spot. We J-B Welded his glass eye to a cliff, looking out over an endless valley. And spread his ashes into the West Texas wind. Now ol' Nick enjoys his favorite view of the sunset. Every day...
The next year, we climbed up to visit Nick and make sure his eye was OK. It was. And will be for eons.
2 years later, we J-B'd a small bottle of Visine near his eye. Lots of wind, sun and sometimes dust storms up there, ya know?
I hear there is now a small bottle of his favorite Bourbon Whiskey JB'd nearby.
It ain't required to be crazy to be a Texan, but it sure helps!

I haven't been there yet, but my buddy says the (relatively) new Big Bend Ranch State Park just West of the BB National Park has the best off-road riding, by far. He says, "Don't get lost...you will die there!" Take good maps & lots of water.

I live just south of Amarillo, on I-40, in part of the Palo Duro Canyon, the 2nd largest canyon in the U.S.
If you guys find yourselves in our neck o' the woods, going or coming, I'd love to buy you a beer! You would also be most welcome to spend the night...we have 2 guest rooms, and lots of grass for tents. Should you really want deluxe accommodations, our next-door neighbor's place is a nice, rustic B&B called Starlight Canyon.
Or, they have cool stone cliff-cabins in the Palo Duro Canyon State Park, 15 miles to our South.

You guys have a great trip and stop by if you can!

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
can you do a hitch rack to carry the TW on the Jeep and bring both?
Have the Hitch set up on the NItro and the Wrangler...Nitro is much smoother drive, both should be OK to haul, if that's what I do...but still deciding....and if Mel decides to bring along all 3 of his TWs on the back of his rig....I may just drive the Nitro...like I said, over 1800 miles, it's a better option for comfort and saves me from sleeping in the tent...I learned my lesson on the last Big Bend trip with Montezuma...we put both TWs in the back of his Ford PU and sleep in our individual tents...ground sleeping is not in the cards for this 70 year old....:cool:

On the other hand, after looking at the pitiful shape Ol' Blue was in the other day...I finally charged the original battery, it got me out and about for a couple of miles around town, but there is no doubt a new one {battery} is needed....on the other hand, Blue ran like he always does....smooth around Celina, without a hitch...and looking a bit clearner{but who needs a clearn TW?} :rolleyes::laughing8: And with more Snow coming tomorrow and a major freeze for next week, Spring doesn't appear to be close at hand: :moody:

TW Old Blue March 2019.JPG

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hoot, I don't know you but I respect, appreciate and THANK you for for your military service and that "Summer of '69"...

I had my prior service deferment by then and spent my "Summer of '69" trying to kill myself on a new Kawasaki H1 500cc 3-cyl. 2-stroke. Damn thing tried to kill me every time I rode it!

Glad we both survived, especially you.
You earned it!

I've been to Big Bend many times. We tent camped up in the Basin on the motorcycle road trips, RV camped on a bud's place near Terlingua and in the park.
Rode sport-touring bikes in the area a lot, ATVs a little, no dirt bikes, dammit! I have several buddies whose ashes are spread or cached in various places there. Part of mine will go there too, one of these days.

One special buddy, ol' grouchy Nick, had a glass eye. He had a special spot he loved to camp at my bud's place, on a mountain top where you could see forever.
When he died (of orneriness, we think!), we ended up with his eye.
We had to use ropes to get up there to his spot. We J-B Welded his glass eye to a cliff, looking out over an endless valley. And spread his ashes into the West Texas wind. Now ol' Nick enjoys his favorite view of the sunset. Every day...
The next year, we climbed up to visit Nick and make sure his eye was OK. It was. And will be for eons.
2 years later, we J-B'd a small bottle of Visine near his eye. Lots of wind, sun and sometimes dust storms up there, ya know?
I hear there is now a small bottle of his favorite Bourbon Whiskey JB'd nearby.
It ain't required to be crazy to be a Texan, but it sure helps!

I haven't been there yet, but my buddy says the (relatively) new Big Bend Ranch State Park just West of the BB National Park has the best off-road riding, by far. He says, "Don't get lost...you will die there!" Take good maps & lots of water.

I live just south of Amarillo, on I-40, in part of the Palo Duro Canyon, the 2nd largest canyon in the U.S.
If you guys find yourselves in our neck o' the woods, going or coming, I'd love to buy you a beer! You would also be most welcome to spend the night...we have 2 guest rooms, and lots of grass for tents. Should you really want deluxe accommodations, our next-door neighbor's place is a nice, rustic B&B called Starlight Canyon.
Or, they have cool stone cliff-cabins in the Palo Duro Canyon State Park, 15 miles to our South.

You guys have a great trip and stop by if you can!
Thanks Darth...I love Old War Stories...especially Dual Sport War Stories.... I need to get back to Big Bend, if for no other reason than to shoot the Hell out of the scenery...I got much last time in 2016 my Not Much Enough...the Dual Sport Riding is Secondary this time around...I want to enjoy the place, that's why a few friends are enoughk, I liked the Moab experience with 30 or so of us in 2015, but this time I want to take in the nature and do some major photography to leave the Grandsons and family when I'm gone. Will they appreciate it? Who knows?, but at least I will give them that opportunity....

Big Bend Night Sky....JPG

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Of Course Moab has some pretty special stuff....even when I was only carrying a point and shoot, I got some good shots...

Pecker Pass Red (1).JPG

1 - 15 of 15 Posts