TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fall is here so I have been trying to squeeze in as many rides as possible while I still can. Rode up to a National Forest office, bought a map then headed out to explore with some friends. We found that not all the junctions or should I say any of the junctions were marked. Thank goodness my friend has a better sense of direction than I do, I might still be wandering around up there.
I am still trying to get used to my new front tire....not loving it....yet... :(

NFR 17 & NFR 18
2014-10-05 11.30.07.jpg 2014-10-05 11.30.30.jpg 2014-10-05 11.42.49.jpg 2014-10-05 12.09.01.jpg 2014-10-05 12.10.35.jpg

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
That looks like a perfect spot to find Bigfoot! Nice pic's!

Tom

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you don't like that Golden Boy... I have a Brand New Kenda Enduro if you want to trade....

My tire is a Kenda 270 5.10

Did that Kenda Enduro come with your new TW?

Is there a date manufactured on it?

·
Registered
13,417 Posts
Very beautiful day to take a ride. Not many sunny days left I bet. I use to ride rain or shine when I lived up there. Of course I learned to hate putting on all the layers (warmth then rain suite). However, I if one wanted to keep riding, that's was the process.

Side question. What psi. are you running in your 270? If I have mine at "road" psi, I don't like it on gravel or off-road. I've learned to air down in those instances and just love it. However, I'm concerned as a few forum members are starting to complain about not liking these tires. Wondered if it's the places they ride that differ from mine which may make the difference.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm in love with my Golden Boy. My OEM tire would wash out constantly on gravel roads, and it didn't like to stay put while slope riding or on the crest of the middle of a trail.

Most of my riding is on trails and forest service roads. I'm not a fan of the hard-packed dirt roads with the thin layer of gravel on top. Always makes for a sketchy cornering effect.

I also do tons of off-road Jeeping, so I'm very used to deflating my tires according to the trail conditions.

On the TW, I run the recommended 18psi on the roadway, the I deflate to between 12-14psi whenever I'm on dirt or gravel. I carry deflators and a digital tire gauge to get the pressure just right. The difference is night and day for the smoothness of the ride and enjoyability of riding over rocky terrain. I run the Heavy Duty Michelin inner tubes and Ride-on throughout. I've never (knock on wood) had a flat from pinching the tire yet. I also carry a small 12V compressor with me to reinflate after coming to the end of the trail. I use the Slime brand. It is noisy, but it works for the few minutes I need it to get back up to pressure.

If I didn't have a Golden Boy, I'm not sure what I would want. I'm very happy with the quality and performance of my tire. I have the 5.10 width, and it is a pleasure on and off road.

Hope this is of some value.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Side question. What psi. are you running in your 270? If I have mine at "road" psi, I don't like it on gravel or off-road. I've learned to air down in those instances and just love it. However, I'm concerned as a few forum members are starting to complain about not liking these tires. Wondered if it's the places they ride that differ from mine which may make the difference.[/QUOTE]

Admiral, I checked my tires before leaving the garage that morning and I was at 15 psi (cold) on the front.

I am doing better with it (not loving it) on the road since lowering the pressure and eventually, about 20 miles into my 40 mile forest road ride, I started feeling more confident even though, I still didn't care for the feel while on the gravel sections. I was riding with two guys on V-Stroms that had stock tires on their bikes. One of the guys was brand new to off-pavement and the other guy and I have ridden together a lot. The seasoned guy finally asked, "what's going on, you've never had trouble keeping up before". I told him I felt like that front tire was washing out....finally know what that feels like, I always wondered what people meant when they said that but now the meaning is very clear to me. I mentioned letting some air out but the V-Strom's were running at whatever they run on the street and not having a bit of trouble. I hate to be the one that slows everyone down because when we hit pavement I have to mess around with adding air. I'll have to plan an off-pavement ride just for that purpose and make it clear that I'm going to be adjusting the tire pressures. The BMW GS's I ride with don't ever let the pressure out of their tires either. I just know I am going to get razzed relentlessly by my friends if I am the only one (I am the only TW) having to screw around with tire pressures everytime I go from pavement to dirt or vice versa.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts