TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any reason not to use these in the tw200?? Can you wash them out and re use these. Had my hands on one today and looks like a washable type element?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure looks like its washable. Non paper type media. Fine metal mesh???

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I have a k&n oil filter and I just put it beside a Yamaha filter and they are identical, only Yamaha was cheaper. k&n is not brass and I would not try to wash it

·
Registered
604 Posts
@=AT K AT N :highly_amused:

·
Super Moderator
18,138 Posts
I have always washed mine out with WD40 or something like that. Someone mentioned that the screen openings become larger by washing them, so now I really don't know if I should use them over and over or not?? Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have a k&n oil filter and I just put it beside a Yamaha filter and they are identical, only Yamaha was cheaper. k&n is not brass and I would not try to wash it
The K&N filter I have is pleated and the stocker was not.

I've washed mine with mineral spirits about 6 times now.

Also, it has the appropriate 4 hole end cap.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The oil filters for the TW cost something like $6 or $8 each. The entire oil change including oil and filter is probably less than two tanks of gas for us with the stock tank.
With that in mind, why not just change the filter every time? If only for the peace of mind, it's worth it.
Seriously, how often would someone be doing that change anyway?

·
Registered
470 Posts
It's not why I clean the filter instead of replacing it, but I change my oil about every 300 miles.

·
Registered
291 Posts
It's not why I clean the filter instead of replacing it, but I change my oil about every 300 miles.
Can I ask the reason for that frequency? do you ride mostly technical trails, lots of 1st gear, or...?
Just asking because I ride mostly on-road, and I have been changing my oil every 1000 miles. I've seen that recommended several times here.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm w/ you Indiana, I change oil when I detect my shifting getting a little stiffer (well under 1k mi.) and re-use the cleaned filter.
My first oil change showed about the same amount of metal as your first pic of the original filter and progressively less w/ each subsequent change.
I also installed a strong 5/8 button magnet in the oil drain plug, it gets a thin coating of micro-particles from I expect the clutch lining. Any metal that gets through the screen is captured on it, Its swedged in the plug pretty tight and is too big to migrate.
I use 2 filters, one in the machine, and one cleaned and ready.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Can I ask the reason for that frequency? do you ride mostly technical trails, lots of 1st gear, or...?
Just asking because I ride mostly on-road, and I have been changing my oil every 1000 miles. I've seen that recommended several times here.
I'm w/ you Indiana, I change oil when I detect my shifting getting a little stiffer (well under 1k mi.) .
I flog my TW hard every time I ride it. I do a lot of low speed off road, but even on the street, I run it hard.

I judge when to change it for the reason Blueduce mentioned. The shifting starts getting less smooth.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I flog my TW hard every time I ride it. I do a lot of low speed off road, but even on the street, I run it hard.

I judge when to change it for the reason Blueduce mentioned. The shifting starts getting less smooth.
Thanks. I guess I'm doing ok then, I've yet to notice a change in shifting.

Reactions: grewen

·
Super Moderator
18,138 Posts
I ride mine hard every time I ride it. Full wide open throttle until I reach whatever the speed limit is. I change it every 1,000 miles or so.

Reactions: grewen and GTG

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
OK, this topic changes more and more to "How do you change your oil?".
Here are my 2 cents
Yamaha recommends a oil change after 6000 km (3800 miles), I don mine after ~3000 km (1900 miles).
Is the "US 10W40" oil quality so bad?

Back to topic.
I would never reuse a oil filter.
You can never eliminate (rule out) that the oil filter is damaged by a small piece of metal.
The oil filter is one of the cheapest spare parts, but it's one of the most important parts. So, do not save money at the wrong place.

But....
it's your bike
it's your engine
it's your money

·
Registered
807 Posts
WOW, every 300 miles. Manual says every 3000 or 12 months, Ill be changing my oil once a year :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts