TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '06 TW had been modified with a K&N air filter and I want to make sure it was done right and is safe for the engine. The previous owner cut quite a bit out of the factory airbox and then mounted the K&N cone on the rubber hose that connects the airbox to the carb. I would like to know if this is a recommended "upgrade" and if I there are any benefits or drawbacks from this change.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
As long as you don't get them wet,they seem to work ok. Just make sure it's well sealed to the hose. You don't want direct dirt induction!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Everyone has a different opinion on the k&n type filters. Some say they dont filter as well. I don't know how i feel about that comment. i've had one on my jeep for 15 years without any engine problems. I think as long as they are oiled correctly you should not worry about where you go with it. it does the job. K&N brand was actually designed for motorcycles over 40 years ago. I dont think they would still be going strong if they didnt work well. just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
190 Posts
if you are running on the street i would probably check the plug to make sure it is not running to lean. the air filter can mke big difference. if you look through the forum arkives there is lot of info on plugs and jetting for air and exhaust mods..

hope this helps. shawn

·
Registered
34 Posts
Everyone has a different opinion on the k&n type filters. Some say they dont filter as well. I don't know how i feel about that comment. i've had one on my jeep for 15 years without any engine problems. I think as long as they are oiled correctly you should not worry about where you go with it. it does the job. K&N brand was actually designed for motorcycles over 40 years ago. I dont think they would still be going strong if they didnt work well. just my 2 cents...
I totally agree, K&N makes a good filter, proper maintenance is a must, I have run them on my quads for a long time in very dusty conditions and they have performed well.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got a factory airbox off ebay and installed it today. It is a perfect fit (obviously) and eliminates the downward angle of the carb that the K&N filter created. I took her out for a test ride and don't notice any power loss. I think that the K&N is a fine filter, but after riding with both I'd have to say that the money and time it costs to replace the stock setup with the K&N isn't really worth it.

Anyone have any use for a completely hacked up factory airbox?

·
Registered
6 Posts
where are you guys buying the k&n's & whats the part #, is there major modifing needed to install besides air box removal? i have k&n's on my 04 RX1 with exhaust & clutch kit, WOW, that opened her up.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm looking to add k&n's to my bike and need some part #'s. I'm surprised no one as recorded these as there are so many that use them. Any help?

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'm looking to add k&n's to my bike and need some part #'s. I'm surprised no one as recorded these as there are so many that use them. Any help?

Actually, it has been documented over and over again but people seem unwilling to search for the information. I searched and found this for you:

"KandN air filter part # RU1780 remember that your going to have to take the rubber hose from your air box out (which isn't easy!), otherwise the air filter won't reach the carb."

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just for general information -- the K&N filter WAS designed my two Yamaha motorcycle dealers in Southern California. Norm MacDonald and Kenneth Johnson whereby comes the K&N name--The business was separated when Norm MacDonald moved to Oklahoma with the Yamaha franchise and Ken Johnson remained with the filter business. I think both are probably retired by now. In any event both businesses prospered and their quality products and service has always been among the best.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts