TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, first post. Just bought a used 2006 TW200 with 3.5k miles. I come from a sportbike background mainly R1s. Always wanted a versatile pit-city-trail bike and chose the TDub over the Grom, Z125 and Vanvan. Maybe it's a Yamaha thing as they just feel right for me when sitting on them. Anyways, got the bike last Saturday, then promptly crashed on Sunday. I was n't going fast (relatively speaking). I was leaning the bike farther than it should. Now that I think about it, not a good idea on 15 year old stock Bstones let alone hot tar snakes. I was giggling with joy the entire ride, even right to the crash. Just something hilariously fun riding a slow bike as fast as it can go. Everything would've been fine,except a diesel truck was going the other way and slowly ran over the front tire and forks before stopping. I immediiately pop up and run over. Amazingly, the front tire didn't pop. Damage wasn't too bad but the bike was not rideable. Noticing this, the truck driver graciously offered to give me a lift back home.

Once home, got my little Pepe lifted and started the tear down process. The damages are:
1. Both stanchions are bent and kinked
2. Front rotor is bent
3. Stock handlebars are twisted
4. RIght grip has a tear
5. Front rim has some rash
6. Small ding on the left side of the tank, probably from my left knee.
7. Right footpeg

Potentially damaged:
frame headstock, will get that looked at later

Great thing about a crash, as long as you can walk away in one piece, is it's a great time to get down to the nitty gritty. Then the mod madness starts. If you all can chime in with any advice during my rebuild, I'd appreciate it. Pic is the day I brought her home.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cue six million dollar man, we can make him stronger, faster... lol Let's keep it real. Let's do some easy stuff while I'm waiting on parts. Moved the sidestand wiring from the rightside of the airbox to the left. Seems "safer" tucked away instead of exposed.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Samco lines

Pepe wants more azul. What Pepe wants, he gets. Found some extra Samco Lines lying around. Swapped out all the vacuum and vent lines on the carb. Decided to keep the clear fuel feed line.

Found this deadweight on the bottom of the bike and promptly tossed into the recycle bin. Also used the opportunity to remove the emissions canister. Weight saved 1 pound!

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
airbox mod

Don't know if this mod works for the off road world. Noticed the airbox had a drain and a low crankcase breather port. Decided to plug both up with some screws. Then I attached a longer higher hose, blue of course. Reduced the output diameter once and terminated with a pcv valve. It's more of an oil catchcan (hose) idea and allows the oil to flow back down into the case instead of into the airbox and then fouling up the intake or dripping down onto the swingarm.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Welcome to the madhouse kangaroo. Sorry you bit the pavement, and happy you didn't have injuries. Best of luck with your Pepe. Or should I say, Pepe le Blue???

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to the madhouse kangaroo. Sorry you bit the pavement, and happy you didn't have injuries. Best of luck with your Pepe. Or should I say, Pepe le Blue???
Falling at less than 15mph wasn't so bad. I was leaned over so much, I fell maybe a foot to a foot and a half max. Instantly came to a stop. Minimal road rash compared to the old days on sportbikes.

Hmmnn, Pepe le bleu, some white racing stripes may be warranted!

Pepe is his little mule.

View attachment 194936
Ha! somebody got my inspiration.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fork disassembly and inspection

Pretty basic caveman suspension if I am honest. Disassembled and the fork oil looks to never have been serviced since new. Looked at the stanchions and they're both kinked right below the lower triple. Runout was over a quarter inch. Can't even attempt to bend them back. Triples look straight. Beware all you people with skinny legs if you're into BIG WOMEN!

Priced out new stanchions, fluids and seals. Came out to around $400. Thought about using some Chinese non OE stanchions for half price but too many bad experiences to pull the trigger. New OEM replacement forks, $560. Damn, instant costco burritos for lunch again. But anything for my little Pepe. Bagged and sealed the old parts for spares.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
footpegs damaged and chinese

Right footpeg, got crushed by the fall and even more so by the big truck running over the front end. Ordered some Chinese Ebay cast aluminum footpegs. What showed up was up to expectations. lol Many have commented on the smallness of the stock pegs but coming from the street, let me just say they are pretty dang big compared to what I'm used to. These replacements feel like aircraft carrier platforms. Unusable platforms however. Just wanted to post a pic. Contacted the Ebay seller and got a refund. Looking at alternative designs. More on that later.

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
Kangaroo, if you’re going to spend some money on the front forks, maybe a consideration would be some RT180 front forks. There are some threads on here where people have switched over to the better fork and been happy. As another thought, they may want to sell their old ones. Good luck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kangaroo, if you’re going to spend some money on the front forks, maybe a consideration would be some RT180 front forks. There are some threads on here where people have switched over to the better fork and been happy. As another thought, they may want to sell their old ones. Good luck.
Thanks for the info though I already ordered a new oem set. Will keep this in mind as a future upgrade. For a bike that's been around for so long, I'd have thought there would be a HUGE used market!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thanks for the info though I already ordered a new oem set. Will keep this in mind as a future upgrade. For a bike that's been around for so long, I'd have thought there would be a HUGE used market!
Ya know Roo,
We just purchased an '07 T-dub with a whopping 582 miles on it just over a week ago. It's had a sad and mistreated adolescence. The previous bone-head owners, at least two, removed both mirrors, the chain guard, the chain guide, both right and left passenger foot pegs and mounting brackets, the tool kit, the owners manual and, there's only one key. The bike had been sitting for over 5 years and the tank had some serious rust in it. But, we got it home, started the resurrection process and, got it running about 5 days later. I've replaced the broken front brake lever with a much better one than the factory one. I've replaced the totally broken off, right rear turn signal. I just got some used passenger foot pegs and mounting brackets and, I took a chance on some mirrors from Amazon that, once I got them and installed them, I can tell they are WAY SUPERIOR to the factory T-dub mirrors.

But, I too was thinking there would be a large used parts market for T-dubs. Well, so far, I've not found too much. There's a few here and there on ebay but, that's about it so far that I've found. Anyway, our "Blue Noid" '07 is shaping up nicely. The P/O also put a 60t rear sprocket on it so, I've got a new 14T front sprocket, a new chain and, a new 50T rear sprocket, all due in, today, tomorrow and Tuesday. Can't wait to get those installed so I can cruise around our little town without winding the guts of of that little 200cc motor. Good luck on Pepe.
Scott

·
Super Moderator
4,856 Posts
Unfortunately, I suspect you’re right, as there seems to be few “used parts” here or in the States – most of what there is over priced – used parts from Japan are much the same (and that’s before shipping) – 250 for a rusted tank ?

However, there’s an engine on the USA site at the moment for 500, so very occasionally reasonable deals can be had. A lot of what you’re after can be found on the classified section of this site, people modify their bikes all the time, but don’t post “for sale” of old parts unless someone expresses an interest.

Sometimes a “wanted to buy” post can flush these out – try it …..

·
Registered
335 Posts
Unfortunately, I suspect you’re right, as there seems to be few “used parts” here or in the States – most of what there is over priced – used parts from Japan are much the same (and that’s before shipping) – 250 for a rusted tank ?

However, there’s an engine on the USA site at the moment for 500, so very occasionally reasonable deals can be had. A lot of what you’re after can be found on the classified section of this site, people modify their bikes all the time, but don’t post “for sale” of old parts unless someone expresses an interest.

Purple, Yes Sir, I cruised around the classifieds with a "wanted" post for a couple of items. Unfortunately for me, what I wanted was just sold prior to me getting here on this forum and needing parts. Oh well, it what it is and, I'll keep hitting that classified section every now and then for my potential needs. I recently picked up a set of used rear passenger foot pegs and mounting brackets for $50. They were a bit rusty so, I just broke out my trusty MAC sand blaster gun and, shot them to ultra clean. Then, hit them with some Rustoleum semi-gloss black. I shot the steel section of the foot pegs with "Chrome Silver" so, tomorrow, they should be dry enough to slap onto the bike. I won't be riding 2-up almost at all but, I just like the looks of stock, in that scenario.
Scott

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ya know Roo,
We just purchased an '07 T-dub with a whopping 582 miles on it just over a week ago. It's had a sad and mistreated adolescence. The previous bone-head owners, at least two, removed both mirrors, the chain guard, the chain guide, both right and left passenger foot pegs and mounting brackets, the tool kit, the owners manual and, there's only one key. The bike had been sitting for over 5 years and the tank had some serious rust in it. But, we got it home, started the resurrection process and, got it running about 5 days later. I've replaced the broken front brake lever with a much better one than the factory one. I've replaced the totally broken off, right rear turn signal. I just got some used passenger foot pegs and mounting brackets and, I took a chance on some mirrors from Amazon that, once I got them and installed them, I can tell they are WAY SUPERIOR to the factory T-dub mirrors.

But, I too was thinking there would be a large used parts market for T-dubs. Well, so far, I've not found too much. There's a few here and there on ebay but, that's about it so far that I've found. Anyway, our "Blue Noid" '07 is shaping up nicely. The P/O also put a 60t rear sprocket on it so, I've got a new 14T front sprocket, a new chain and, a new 50T rear sprocket, all due in, today, tomorrow and Tuesday. Can't wait to get those installed so I can cruise around our little town without winding the guts of of that little 200cc motor. Good luck on Pepe.
Scott
Awesome, sounds like your bike's gonna get some good ownership. These little guys are rugged but they also need to be taken care of. Hope youre out riding shortly.

Yeah definitely will use the classsifieds to search for more parts in the future. Thanks for the advice. The bike is so basic, everything seems to be an upgrade. lol I just love the yamaha simplicity of it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
renthal handlebars

Replaced the fragile and bent stock handlebars with some Renthals. Drilled out the hole for the throttle tube holder. Got them mounted. In the mean time, swapped out throttle tubes with an open-ended one to prepare for some handguards.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
air fuel screw mod

Decided to mod the carb and adjust the air-fuel screw. Took off the carb and was planning on removing the plug... only to find that it had already been removed. However it was only 1 full turn out. Turned it out 2.5 as the mod suggested.

2nd pic is with my 2001 R1 carbs getting rebuilt. The TW is so much smaller even as the R1 carbs are for only a slightly larger cylinder capacity of 250cc.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 63 Posts