TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This bike never even blipped my radar. However after going to look at a Yamaha wr250f, I came across this klx300r. Same dealer. They sell everything except gasgas but they could probably get one for you. This klx looks and feels just right. The wr feels way too tall. I'm not gonna race just ride. Got to tell you, that price is drawing me in. $3000 cheaper than the Yamaha. I know it's less aggressive but so am I. Just wondering do any of you have one or know someone that does? Any personal reviews?

·
Registered
20,375 Posts
The 0.2 inches lower seat compared to the Yamaha WR250 the KLX is not going to let the rider be much more flat footed. Still a very interesting $5,500 off-road bike.
300cc engine displacements seem ideal for a fun yet competent trail bike.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The specs are misleading. I can flat foot the kaw and tip-toe the yam.

·
Registered
20,375 Posts
Guess those KLX rear suspensions on the showroom floor take a bit of sag once one sits on them. Buddy's KLX250 has same issue...climbing aboard it is tall but sags considerably once sat upon. He returned all suspension settings for and aft to stock after some experimenting. I liked it.
Never sat on another buddy's wr250 for a sag comparison. Imagine much depends on individual rider's elective set up and weight.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The klx 300 suspension does sag a far bit when i sit on it. yes unladen they are tall. the klx 230 is shorter but when i ride each one the 300 is easier for me. it sags down more

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guess those KLX rear suspensions on the showroom floor take a bit of sag once one sits on them. Buddy's KLX250 has same issue...climbing aboard it is tall but sags considerably once sat upon. He returned all suspension settings for and aft to stock after some experimenting. I liked it.
Never sat on another buddy's wr250 for a sag comparison. Imagine much depends on individual rider's elective set up and weight.
Yeah I forgot about setting the sag. They also have a lowering link for WR but that just makes it more $.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I owned a Sherpa for about six months.
Hated it....worse bike I'd ever owned....but man, was it ever engineered nicely.
Nice lines...Fully adjustable rear suspension...butter smooth transmission...so why did I hate it so much?

PITA to maintain.
Couldn't check the spark plug without removing the gas tank.
Couldn't get it jetted properly, no matter what I did or whose advice I followed.
Remove seat...tank...exhaust...just to "check" the valves.
Ergonomics were off....knees hurt after an hour in the saddle.
Mid-year model so not all parts for this year fit that model...buying parts was hit-and-miss.
I know there are plenty of people who own these and think they are great...and maybe they are a good bike, but I was never so glad to get rid of one...aside from the XT250.
That was my Kawie experience...

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Well this is one super nice bike. So quiet. Rides so smooth I can hardly believe it. More power than anyone needs. All the emission stuff has got it held back some but still enough for me. Got a deal for $5100 OTD on the truck. As far as the seat height, it looks tall. It is tall. But once you get on, it settles down nicely. I can reach the ground just fine. Only thing I am gonna do is a ricochet skid plate and drop a tooth on the front. I never thought I'd say this "fuel injection is nice". No warm up. Just hit the button and go. Its water cooled but that means nothing to me. I never had a problem with an air cooled bike. The brakes.....omg! It will stand the rear wheel up like it nothing. Not touchy at all. Just does what you expect. Except it keeps stopping pass what other bikes I've ridden would do. Took it to the NC mountains and wow. Keeping up with a honda cr450 was no problem at all. Never could stay in sight before. Disclaimer: 95% 1st and 2nd gear stuff. A little 3rd. Hit 4th for about 5 seconds.

Can't stress the quiet enough. The tdub drowns it out....starting at idle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
In 2008 I bought a leftover 2007 KLX300, and added a Baja Designs kit to make it street legal. That bike was amazing in the woods, especially tight trees and really tight technical areas. I still regret selling it.

·
Registered
784 Posts
View attachment 205370
Well this is one super nice bike. So quiet. Rides so smooth I can hardly believe it. More power than anyone needs. All the emission stuff has got it held back some but still enough for me. Got a deal for $5100 OTD on the truck. As far as the seat height, it looks tall. It is tall. But once you get on, it settles down nicely. I can reach the ground just fine. Only thing I am gonna do is a ricochet skid plate and drop a tooth on the front. I never thought I'd say this "fuel injection is nice". No warm up. Just hit the button and go. Its water cooled but that means nothing to me. I never had a problem with an air cooled bike. The brakes.....omg! It will stand the rear wheel up like it nothing. Not touchy at all. Just does what you expect. Except it keeps stopping pass what other bikes I've ridden would do. Took it to the NC mountains and wow. Keeping up with a honda cr450 was no problem at all. Never could stay in sight before. Disclaimer: 95% 1st and 2nd gear stuff. A little 3rd. Hit 4th for about 5 seconds.

Nice bike. I rode all day yesterday at Enoree. This would have fit right in. Congrats.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My son had a older one (with carb). You're right, they're great woods bikes. My only complaint is the pegs were too low. Son took it apart before he knew how to put stuff back together properly. It's in the shed in pieces. Ought to pull it out and get it running again. Too many projects, not enough time. :(

Mike

·
Registered
458 Posts
View attachment 205370

Nice Job on the purchase! When I first bought my '18 KLX 250 I realized very quickly that the seat height is deceptive, as once you actually sit on it, it's much lower. I have become very used to my factory settings and just now I'm thinking of "tightening" the preload/sag rear adjustment. And, yes - they are quiet!! I keep going back and forth whether or not I should open it up with a Q4 hex slip on...yet, I love the fact that I can put through National forest and not attract attention at all.

Gosh! I wish they made this a street legal bike...I also wonder if I could swap my 250 for the 300...probably would need to swap over much of everything...fuel injector, ecu, throttle body, etc.

Nice bike and excellent choice! Let me know if you have any questions - our bikes are very similar.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Gosh! I wish they made this a street legal bike...I also wonder if I could swap my 250 for the 300...probably would need to swap over much of everything...fuel injector, ecu, throttle body, etc.

Nice bike and excellent choice! Let me know if you have any questions - our bikes are very similar.
I have read that you could bolt the 300 cylinder and head right on the 250. They didn't say if it would still run. Lol. I'm sure the EFI wouldn't like it.
I really think the 300 has too much power for the type of riding I do. On the street it would be a blast! Maybe 2021?
I would like to know where you can buy front sprockets. Or anything aftermarket. Only things I can find a rear sprockets and oil filters.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Front sprocket. I wonder if you have Kawasaki cross reference the part number, if it brings up any other bikes. I'd be surprised if it's specific to you model, then again, it's such a new model that who knows? I wonder if it might just share the same as mine... Your factory sprocket sizes are 14/50, correct? that's already hefty-low. Mine was 14/42 out of the oven. I have it at 14/46 now. Likely will do 14/47 in the future when I'm ready to swap chains.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah mine is 14/50. I found a front sprocket. 13T made in the usa on top of that. I will try to get the picture to load. I have not actually tried to install it yet. But it came up on their site under the 2020 klx300r.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts