1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
976 Posts
That bike is nice to look at and would be fun to borrow for a ride. After your first fall, the bike will look like hell and be a fortune to fix. I am so enamored with my TW. Fun to ride-fun to work on- easy to fix-indestructible-made to ride hard-break-fix again. The other bike is too ornamental.
You might be surprised at how well a faired adventure bike can handle a dirt nap. It might not be as easy to pick back up as a TW, but with hand and engine guards installed I bet this little VX300 would fare just fine in an off-pavement get-off. The wind protection those fairings offer will be pretty nice for longer days of on-pavement touring too.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Looks good, I just wish they would stop putting the exhaust under the bike.
If Linda would just learn to ride 2 of those would be nice.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I'd actually like to know what sort of plastic the fairings are made of. Is it the more flexible/less fragile "dual sport plastic", or the expensive/crunchy "sport bike plastic"? Also the way it's mounted can be important to this kind of distinction: is it fairly flush with the fuel tank, for example, or is there space in there as on a street bike (not good for drops).

·
Registered
976 Posts
I'd actually like to know what sort of plastic the fairings are made of. Is it the more flexible/less fragile "dual sport plastic", or the expensive/crunchy "sport bike plastic"? Also the way it's mounted can be important to this kind of distinction: is it fairly flush with the fuel tank, for example, or is there space in there as on a street bike (not good for drops).
It certainly looks like typical "sport bike" plastic. That's what they're using on the new KLRs, so I can't imagine they went back to tupperware for this even more street-focused bike.

The overall design of the fairing looks quite a bit like the fairing on the CB500X to me. I can speak from experience that the bars typically keep the fairing from ever touching the ground when you dump that bike. Could be a different story here, only time will tell.

No way it'll crash as well as a dirt bike, but I don't think that's the intended use of this machine anyhow.

I'm excited to see what the aftermarket will come up with for this bike, in terms of crash protection and otherwise.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Has anyone ridden a 300 Ninja? I read some reviews and they all seem to mention hand and feet numbing vibes. That would be a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Has anyone ridden a 300 Ninja? I read some reviews and they all seem to mention hand and feet numbing vibes. That would be a deal breaker for me.
You ride a TW?????? Nothing is going to buzz your hands and feet like a TW at 55 mph.

Tom

·
Registered
13,662 Posts
Except an SR500. Not only did I lose all the feeling in my arms and legs, some of my fillings fell out. TW is mild compared to the old thumper!:D

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
Let me qualify my earlier post...........

Many bikes may "Rumble" or "Shake" worse than a TW. I believe the "Vibes" that PeterB was asking about is that high frequency buzzing we all adore so much. I have never rode a Ninja 300 myself but have seen a lot more complaints about our TW's buzzing nature than I have about the Ninja.

If I am wrong sue me OR sell me that buzzy 300 at a greatly reduced price:D

Tom

·
Registered
20,212 Posts
39hp, 375lbs, 20ft-lbs torque, non-crunchy plastic, existing accessories. Nice but not that lightweight.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I have done 500 km days on my TW with absolutely no problem. I don't find it that buzzy but then again I have no issue with the stock seat either... I guess love is blind :) This got me thinking about the bikes I don't like due to vibrations and I guess its big thumpers and v-twins with that "pulse" or "character" that I know alot of people don't mind. I'll just have to try that 300 Verseys for myself. What are other peoples thoughts about vibrations?

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I have to agree with Dryden's assessment of TW-buzz. I rode thousands of miles with a 14/55-geared TW, at 55 (like 60 mph with stock gearing)...that was just madness. But I didn't really care :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts