TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A kayak trip down the Tioughnioga River. 11 miles from Yaman Park in Cortland to the route 392 bridge. Water was too low, but otherwise a good time. Saw my first Bald Eagle in the area, too far away to get a good pic.

DSCN8258.JPG DSCN8259.JPG DSCN8260.JPG DSCN8262.JPG DSCN8264.JPG

·
Registered
20,182 Posts
Now that looks like a good way to spend the day, Nothing like a nice float downstream.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
Scotti, That's a beautiful river, I love a slow day on the river especially when it's hot.
Some decent sized brown trout in that river year round too! These trout were all stocked at one time or another but seam to survive well from year to year.

Tom

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I have been a canoeist and a yakker since I was nine until about 5 years ago when it became too difficult to get the boat to the water.
I really miss it. I did both white water and flat water and even sea water. My salt water yakking was in Hawaii in the early 80s, and
Alaska and Puget Sound after that. When I lived on a sailboat for 5 years, I yakked every day for exercise.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Paddling the Arctic Ocean....at Chisasibi, James Bay, Quebec

·
Registered
20,182 Posts
Advanced Elements Tandem Convertible Rhodetrip? So much more affordable than a Folbot, the old industry standard. Apparently it held up to the Arctic Ocean since you tow are still around.:rolleyes: A buddy flies his Folbot into carribean's Andros Islands and island hops every few years.
Now as a fan of roof-top motorboats I'ld lean more towards a Surfango 9.5 hp with electric start :p 852980170.jpg

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Advanced Elements Tandem Convertible Rhodetrip? So much more affordable than a Folbot, the old industry standard. Apparently it held up to the Arctic Ocean since you tow are still around.:rolleyes:
Funny you should mention that, Fred. The water was very cold, and there was a noticeable loss of inflation as our (relatively short) paddle went on. It was not confidence inspiring. We paddled a little ways out to the island...which I have heard is considered part of Nunavit (don't quote me on that). Next time I'll take a freighter canoe.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
One of these day's I will put this set-up in the water and see if and how it works. Was very excited to find the motor in a pawn-shop. In between TW mods I was able to finish the mount, make an extendable handle for steering and throttle control. Just to be on the safe side, made a set of outriggers as well but it seemed off-road adventures diverted my focus.

·
Super Moderator
5,147 Posts
I used to Kayak as a kid — “sit in” rather than the newer “sit on” types. We used to go charging into the weir to see how far we could get before having to (somehow) turn round and go back down (no splash deck in those days).

teddington-weir-pool.jpg

White water teaches you a lot ……

·
Registered
20,182 Posts
Beware the high center of gravity when getting in and out of that kayak Gerry, as well as balance concerns when pull-starting. I have experimented with similar set-ups right down to lightening centrical clutch springs to lower rpm engagement for slower minimum trolling speeds. Outriggers help with stability but then one loses some of the grace and maneuverability of a narrow kayak. One really needs to be able to raise motor from seated position to clear anything that fouls prop from weeds, branches, rope, fishing line,etc.
I ended up going electric gaining quite operation plus stability from battery as ballast. My 10 footer is extremely maneaverable and stable but has flow noise and a noticeable wake at hull speed while my narrower 14 footer glides silently up to 3/4 hull speed when the "bone in its teeth" ( Bow-tie of whitewater) bow wake forms and starts making a little noise. Still much quitter than all that loud splashing and dripping noises from paddle operations. Electroyak @ Sawmill.jpg Hull speed is expressed as 1.34 X the square root of LWL Maximum Hull Speed

·
Registered
137 Posts
We should do a TW/Kayak outing... It would be great to mix the 2. I have a couple rec kayaks and a crossover if someone needs one. Lakes or rivers would be fun. Rivers are nice because you go further with less energy (I'm getting Old). We can throw some fishing in there too. Use the TWs to help shuttle at the Take Outs.

kayaking.jpg
Crossing Payette Lake in McCall

1 - 20 of 25 Posts